Register

Thread: Stereo speakers

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

Default Stereo speakers

I know there are a shit ton of people on hear that know their music gear inside and out, and I'm hoping some of that bleeds into home theatre equipment.

One of my speakers, the woofer has started (well, it's been doing it for awhile) "rattling" (no hum) at higher volumes. I've taken the front off both speakers and see and feel no physical difference between the rattling woofer and the non-rattling woofer. I also at one point physically removed the woofer from the cabinet and visually inspected and I see absolutely nothing wrong. I turned the speaker over 180 degrees and it was actually worse! The speakers are 31 years old, but they still sound great (to me) when they are not rattling. The insides were replaced, I think in the mid '90s (can't remember if it was before or after I moved to Florida in '96) as the woofers and tweeters had completely degraded (like they rotted out) - no sign of that at this time. Most frequently it is during the previews on DVDs (not as much during the feature or when I play music, but it does happen some in those latter instances).

Any ideas on what I should look at?

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    The speakers are 31 years old, but they still sound great (to me) when they are not rattling.
    Can't really help you, but I still have my Technics speakers I bought in '85. I've replaced everything else but those still sound great.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I know there are a shit ton of people on hear that know their music gear inside and out, and I'm hoping some of that bleeds into home theatre equipment.

One of my speakers, the woofer has started (well, it's been doing it for awhile) "rattling" (no hum) at higher volumes. I've taken the front off both speakers and see and feel no physical difference between the rattling woofer and the non-rattling woofer. I also at one point physically removed the woofer from the cabinet and visually inspected and I see absolutely nothing wrong. I turned the speaker over 180 degrees and it was actually worse! The speakers are 31 years old, but they still sound great (to me) when they are not rattling. The insides were replaced, I think in the mid '90s (can't remember if it was before or after I moved to Florida in '96) as the woofers and tweeters had completely degraded (like they rotted out) - no sign of that at this time. Most frequently it is during the previews on DVDs (not as much during the feature or when I play music, but it does happen some in those latter instances).

Any ideas on what I should look at?
    If you're sure the woofer is the part "rattling," it sounds like either the foam/rubber ring around the woofer cone is degraded or something like a slight misalignment between the metal ring and the big magnet in the center of the cone is causing those two parts to actually touch each other the more the speaker is pushed. This requires re-coning of the woofer which can run about $100 if you pay someone to do it, however it's not a big deal and I've done it myself with no prior experience. Parts which is basically rubber cement glue and new rings is about $20 per approx. 12" woofer - more for bigger, less for smaller. For an extreme example, here's a quick and amusing video I shot of a big 1981 vintage Cerwin Vega speaker in my garage that suffered from the foam ring "rot." After this video, I re-coned the woofer and the speaker sounds as great as the day I bought it.