Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 08:11 PM
    Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts

Does the "casual fan" even care anymore?

Does the "casual fan" even care about Van Halen anymore?

Outside of us die-hards, the reaction to this tour so far appears to be rather tame. As was the overall response to ADKOT (again, outside of the core fan base). I think further evidence was the tepid ticket sales to some of the shows on the 2012 tour, and the resulting cancellations of those shows.

On that tour ('12), I think VH priced themselves out of many markets, and turned off too many of the casual fans. Outside of the die-hards, there doesn't appear to be too many people that are willing to pay upwards of $175 to see the boys play. I'm hoping ticket prices are more reasonable this time around, so that more people decide to buy tickets.

Me? I'll buy everything they ever put out, and I'll always go watch them play, every chance I get. As I'm sure will most of you. But, for the casual fan? Sadly, I just don't think that many people care about Van Halen anymore.

What I'm really worried about are the Kimmel/Ellen shows. If Dave sounds like he did for much of the last tour, those casual fans will run away in droves, and sure as hell won't spend the money to see them in concert.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Amphitheaters are more "money" friendly. Lawn tickets can be had cheap. Some of the seating is cheaper than arenas, as well, at most venues. Of course, up front you're paying.
    I think the worst case scenario (even if Dave is horrid) would be the seats will sell out for most venues, but there's just going to be a lot of lawn tickets that don't sell across the country.

I think the biggest problem they have with the casual fan is the competition. The Stones, U2, Madonna, AC/DC, Aerosmith, and others are touring. They're gonna lose some dollars because of this.

Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

They're getting some press:

Last Online

It is not just Dave's voice. The casual fan wants it all. They aren't stupid, they want the full reunion. Even bands I'm a casual fan of, I don't want part original, part cover band. It is a total turn-off and rip-off. Casual fans do not just want to hear the songs no matter who plays them (as some deluded dolts on here want you to believe), they want to hear them by the original guys. Everyone is weirded out by Ed forcing his son into Van Halen. It raises eyebrows, gets heads shaking and people laughing at Van Halen everywhere.

People want the 4 originals, just like they did in 1996.

Finally found that Cantrel endorcement of Reunited Van Halen that I remember airing on MTV but couldn't find on YouTUbe:

Last edited by ExpandedConsciousness; 03.25.15 at 10:45 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Clearly AC/Dc fans dont think that way. How many original members are in that band and how many tickets are they selling????

Same could be said for the Stones.

BTW, I didn't hear anyone mention Mike in that clip you posted...
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 03.25.15 at 10:58 PM.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Clearly AC/Dc fans dont think that way. How many original members are in that band and how many tickets are they selling????

Same could be said for the Stones.

BTW, I didn't hear anyone mention Mike in that clip you posted...
    Members dead, or ill, or arrested are made exception for. Tell me a band isn't working with someone original and they are alive, and I ain't going. That clip was about The Original Van Halen Reuniting. It wasn't about let's get Dave back and bring in Billy Sheehan. That would have been derided and have sold less in 1996 than all 4 back together. What don't you get? The casual fan thinks this bring your son to work Van Halen is a joke. They think Ed-weirdo can't even take Van Halen seriously. I have never heard one casual fan say that it is cool or doesn't matter to them. They only ones who do are duluded Ed-apologists and reality-deniers on here. Van Wolf is going to look ridiculous on national TV to the causual fan and viewer.
    Last edited by ExpandedConsciousness; 03.25.15 at 11:14 PM.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 1,330 Times in 800 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post
    The casual fan thinks this bring your son to work Van Halen is a joke.
    That's a Good One ! ! I hadn't heard that before

~~8 U.S.C. 1182(f)~~

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

The casual fan doesnt know who Michael Anthony is, nor do they care. If they cared the reunion in 2007 wouldn't have been as massive of a success as it was. The number of people "holding out" for the "real reunion" across the country probably couldn't even fill a whole arena. The only people that care that much already post to this site, and thankfully most have realized that bitching about something that has been reality for 8 years is pointless.

As for the "casual fan" not caring, I would say I've heard as much hype for VH as I have for U2 or Ac/Dc, which is to say not that much.

The tickets will sell just fine. If they were in arenas again they could be in trouble, but I would bet most of the dates will sell out since the seating capacity at outdoor shed is usually less. Plus since the lawm seats make up a majority of seating at many of these places, those cheap tickets will sell well.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

11. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

Liked 18,184 Times in 8,987 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post
    Members dead, or ill, or arrested are made exception for. Tell me a band isn't working with someone original and they are alive, and I ain't going. That clip was about The Original Van Halen Reuniting. It wasn't about let's get Dave back and bring in Billy Sheehan. That would have been derided and have sold less in 1996 than all 4 back together. What don't you get? The casual fan thinks this bring your son to work Van Halen is a joke. They think Ed-weirdo can't even take Van Halen seriously. I have never heard one casual fan say that it is cool or doesn't matter to them. They only ones who do are duluded Ed-apologists and reality-deniers on here. Van Wolf is going to look ridiculous on national TV to the causual fan and viewer.
    I love how you take your own very minority opinion and project it as fact for everyone. Have you ever sat back and thought to yourself "you know, the die hard fans don't even really care enough to not buy the albums and tickets, so the casual fans sure as shit won't, I guess I'm wrong"?

Michael Anthony is a great musician and seems to be a great guy, and hardly anyone outside of a few vocal people on this board care that he isn't in Van Halen. He's the bass player and was not a main collaborator on the songwriting. People therefore just don't care, no matter how many times you say it.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 03.26.15 at 05:07 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Jason Newsted is no longer in Metallica, and I don't really care.

If Adam Clayton quit U2, I really wouldn't care.

Alec Jon Suck from Bon Jovi? Yeah, no one cared that he wasn't there.

How many damn drummers has AC/DC gone through? - doesn't seem to stop them from filling up stadiums.

This whole argument that with MA they would be a stadium act is just ridiculous.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

15. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In regard to Jason Newstead, after he left Metallica, I never saw em again. I saw em 14 times while Cliff and Jason where in the band. Metallica took a direction I just didn't care for anymore. It really had nothing to do with either their departures.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

But you've seen Metallica a shitload of times, you aren't a casual fan. The casual fan knows who James and Lars are, and maybe Kirk. People know the mouthpieces of bands and who is shown in the videos. Fair or not, that is what it is. Singers and lead guitarists are about the only people that the casual knows about or frankly cares about.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:41 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I love how you take your own very minority opinion and project it as fact for everyone. Have you ever sat back and thought to yourself "you know, the die hard fans don't even really care enough to not buy the albums and tickets, so the casual fans sure as shit won't, I guess I'm wrong"?

Michael Anthony is a great musician and seems to be a great guy, and hardly anyone outside of a few vocal people on this board care that he isn't in Van Halen. He's the bass player and was not a main collaborator on the songwriting. People therefore just don't care, no matter how many times you say it.
    DD why do you even engage?

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

It's like a train wreck of stupidity, you can't resist the temptation to help out.

I will desist in trying to show the young man the error of his ways.

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:43 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

The casual fan doesnt care. I'm friends with many casual VH fans. Some will ask if Mike is back...others dont...all plan to go. =VH= is about Ed and Dave or Sammy to them. I will be interested on how the tour sells, especially in some of the markets they are playing...ie Bangor, ME. Yes, Bangor has a better concert venue (and a larger outdoor venue) than Portland, but the population hub of Maine is 2 hours south in Portland. But hell, its only 2 hours.
    Can't we just ban EC at this point? He just causes trouble.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

23. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: