Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Default Ted Cruz to Announce on Monday He Plans to Run for President

Ted Cruz to Announce on Monday He Plans to Run for President

Senator Ted Cruz intends to declare on Monday that he will run for president in 2016, making him the first major hopeful to formally enter the race, an aide to Mr. Cruz said.

Mr. Cruz, Republican of Texas, will make his announcement at Liberty University in Virginia, where he is expected to be a speaker at a convocation ceremony. His intention to declare his candidacy was first reported by The Houston Chronicle and an aide to Mr. Cruz, who requested anonymity, confirmed the report on Sunday.

Mr. Cruz will skip the habitual step of creating an exploratory committee as a precursor to a campaign, the newspaper reported, citing senior advisers to Mr. Cruz. The move seems designed to send a signal that he has completed the exploratory phase and is ready to run.

Mr. Cruz will be effectively firing the starting gun on the Republican primary, which has been dominated so far by the early exploratory maneuvers of Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor; Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin; Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey; Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky; and Senator Marco Rubio of Florida.

Mr. Rubio and Mr. Paul are said to be planning to enter the race next month, meaning that Mr. Cruz is looking to leap ahead and define himself as much as possible.

He is setting a goal of raising between $40 million and $50 million, The Chronicle reported, adding that he also hopes to peel off enough social conservatives and libertarians to defeat the eventual establishment choice.

Mr. Cruz has been working aggressively to court major donors nationally, and often touts the tea party appeal that vaulted him to office after he was an underdog in Texas in 2012.

He has impressed some by ticking off confidently why he thinks he is better than other choices. But many Republican elites remain skeptical of and angry with Mr. Cruz over the 2013 government shutdown.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

I cannot stress this enough, the attacks on Paul and Cruz by the establishment will be brutal. It will be a fascinating race to watch so buckle up.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I cannot stress this enough, the attacks on Paul and Cruz by the establishment will be brutal. It will be a fascinating race to watch so buckle up.
    One effect that the Citizens United decision had was to make the 2012 GOP race much more interesting because more candidates can hang on for longer periods of time. In 2008, prior to the decision, the only non-"annointed" candidate that could hang around was Ron Paul. So even though the establishment may pull out all the stops, Paul and Cruz will also have a chance to go after the establishment.

Since the Koch bros. are actually libertarians, you might even see them put significant money behind Paul.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Go Canada Go.

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

Since the Koch bros. are actually libertarians, you might even see them put significant money behind Paul.
    How do you think that would play out?

There are a lot of Paul supporters that resent the Koch bros types.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post

I think the Kochs would back either one of these guys. I believe that Paul And Cruz have already had a sit down.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post

Most people who hate the Kochs probably have no idea that they're pro-choice, want to legalize drugs and prostitution, and are pro-gay marriage. That said, their major focus is reduced regulation of business. The Kochs were involved near the very beginning of the Libertarian Party and David even ran for VP on the Libertarian ticket in 1980.

By 1985, their strategy changed to financing Republicans to defeat Democrats. In 2012, David Koch said that he left the Libertarian Party because " it got too far off the deep end," but I think it was clearly the fact that Republican views on regulation became more libertarian and that the Libertarian Party had little influence. In other words, their money was wasted in getting 1% of the vote, like in 1980.

Ron Paul is a pretty radical libertarian. Neither me nor any of the libertarian writers I enjoy are strong followers of Ron. Rand, however, is much more Republican than most libertarians. So most libertarians I know fall in between those two. However, Rand Paul is the closest thing to a libertarian that the Republicans could run for President, and I could see the Kochs taking advantage of that.

As far as "how it plays out?" I have no idea. I think people put way too much emphasis on donors and corporations and big money and way too little on the powerful government that is able to give out favors to those donors. Limit the power, limit the money.

Either way, it would surprise me if the Kochs supported an establishment candidate this time around.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 7,880 Times in 4,606 Posts

Premium Member

I think the Kochs would back either one of these guys. I believe that Paul And Cruz have already had a sit down.
    A "sit down"?

Dude...your Brooklyn upbringing is showing.

This ain't Mulberry St. They met.....

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    A "sit down"?

Dude...your Brooklyn upbringing is showing.

This ain't Mulberry St. They met.....
    LMFAO

What can I say?

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

Why would he announce at Liberty University and have any affiliation with Jerry Falwell?

Political miss-step #1. Hopefully he doesn't do any yoga on the day he goes to Lynchburg.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 7,880 Times in 4,606 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Why would he announce at Liberty University and have any affiliation with Jerry Falwell?

Political miss-step #1. Hopefully he doesn't do any yoga on the day he goes to Lynchburg.
    Got to secure the ultra right vote.

Jeb and anybody else will do the same thing.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Why, who are they going to vote for, Hillary?

Falwell is a nut. He believes queers brought God's wrath on us for 9/11, that yoga is a sin, and has predicted the second coming of Jesus more than a hooker from Tijuana.

It's ridiculous in my mind that a gentleman that wants to be President of the United States would have anything to do with Jerry Falwell.

It's crazy. Who advises these guys?

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Why, who are they going to vote for, Hillary?

Falwell is a nut. He believes queers brought God's wrath on us for 9/11, that yoga is a sin, and has predicted the second coming of Jesus more than a hooker from Tijuana.

It's ridiculous in my mind that a gentleman that wants to be President of the United States would have anything to do with Jerry Falwell.

It's crazy. Who advises these guys?
    First of all, Jerry Falwell has been dead since 2007. You're thinking of Pat Robertson.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd like to take a moment and say:
    Piss on Billary
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

First of all, Jerry Falwell has been dead since 2007. You're thinking of Pat Robertson.
    Apologies, got my whack jobs confused.

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: