Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 122 Times in 44 Posts

The true voice of Van Halen.......

....is Edward Van Halens guitar playing. Always has been and always will be. Dave's vocals do not bother me.His voice has changed over the years...but that is not out of the ordinary.That's what happens to singers!! So everyone plop down a $20 on the new live cd and enjoy listening to the real voice of VH.
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

2. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 7,897 Times in 4,619 Posts

Premium Member

RSTDDAT...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:53 AM
    Liked 6,987 Times in 5,020 Posts

Premium Member

I'll get some backlash replies , yet I totally agree .
    EVH is why I'm a fan of the band , have been for 35 years , and will be until I drop . The other guys all had a cool role and were needed for the final recipe , but without EVH ? Nothing . Nadda . Zip . Zilch . Zero .

That's also why I dig all of his side projects and guest spots , and don't own anything (hardly) by the other guys outside of VH .

If Eddie is playing ... I'm buying .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

12.01.17 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts

I absolutely disagree. The true voice of Van Halen was the sum total of all it's parts..the members of the band. My favorite sum total was Dave, Ed, Alex and Mike. Eddie obviously is a big deal in terms of the sound, but so are the other members and this band would have not sounded the same without them. I will add that I think Eddie sounds like shit when he plays outside the band and jams with other people. I thought Eddie sucked on SNL, the Les Paul special, Steve Stevens kicked his ass at the NAMM (Kramer booth)1985 show, in general I thought his playing sucked at all special appearances when he played with somebody else. The only one that I thought was halfway decent was the gig in 1998 with Billy Sheehan on bass and Steve Lukather, whatever benefit that was. I thought Ed played like shit when he jammed with John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow and Richie Sambora as well. I also heard the clip of when he jammed with Allan Holdsworth from the early 80's, it was embarrassing.

Another guitar player that shares this trait of playing great in their own band but sucking balls outside of it is Nuno Bettencourt. He's another guy that falls apart when he jams with people on stage. I watch him jam with other people and I'm thinking... did he all of a sudden lose all of his chops and musical sense?

Some players can jam with other people and adapt and improvise really well....Eddie isn't one of them. The flip side is some players can only jam really well and play with anybody but can't write a song...i.e. Guthrie Goven.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.28.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 57 Posts

If the VH bros had hooked up with a totally generic singer like Mitch Malloy instead of DLR at the beginning, they wouldn't be considered arguably the greatest American rock band in history. Instead of being compared to Led Zeppelin, they'd be the band that sounds like Foreigner with a much better guitarist.

The original lineup brought out the best in each other, and each component (the riffs, the melodies, the phrasing, the bass lines, the vocal harmonies, the boxy snare, etc) resulted in what in my opinion, is the only version of the band that is, or would have been, timeless.
    ~Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.~

Mark Twain

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinners__swing View Post
    I absolutely disagree. The true voice of Van Halen was the sum total of all it's parts..the members of the band. My favorite sum total was Dave, Ed, Alex and Mike. Eddie obviously is a big deal in terms of the sound, but so are the other members and this band would have not sounded the same without them. I will add that I think Eddie sounds like shit when he plays outside the band and jams with other people. I thought Eddie sucked on SNL, the Les Paul special, Steve Stevens kicked his ass at the NAMM (Kramer booth)1985 show, in general I thought his playing sucked at all special appearances when he played with somebody else. The only one that I thought was halfway decent was the gig in 1998 with Billy Sheehan on bass and Steve Lukather, whatever benefit that was. I thought Ed played like shit when he jammed with John Mellencamp, Sheryl Crow and Richie Sambora as well. I also heard the clip of when he jammed with Allan Holdsworth from the early 80's, it was embarrassing.

Another guitar player that shares this trait of playing great in their own band but sucking balls outside of it is Nuno Bettencourt. He's another guy that falls apart when he jams with people on stage. I watch him jam with other people and I'm thinking... did he all of a sudden lose all of his chops and musical sense?

Some players can jam with other people and adapt and improvise really well....Eddie isn't one of them. The flip side is some players can only jam really well and play with anybody but can't write a song...i.e. Guthrie Goven.
    You are entitled to your opinion, of course, but you are DEAD WRONG!!

Ed smoked on SNL, if you are referring to Stompin 8H. He tore it up at the Les Paul show with that modified Hot for Teacher. The back-up band didn't sound all that great because Jan Hammer was playing a digital watch, but Ed ripped it. Ed DID get burned a bit by Steve Stevens, but the Mellencamp gig was not bad. He got a huge ovation in the middle of the song after a solo, and he sounded great on a couple of tunes.

I DO agree with you about the whole band, but come on. SNL? That was an awesome performance. When he kicks off that echo and starts ripping off those thirds. Holy shit. Open your ears, man!

TK

9. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,196 Times in 8,990 Posts

Most bands are better than the sum of their parts.

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, the list goes on and on in which the players together were much better together than on their own. Most artists have bad habits or indulgences that are limited in a band setting. Look at The Beatles: Lennon's politics, McCartney's romanticism, Harrison's mysticism, were all held in check in the band environment, but once out on their own, they were allowed to indulge in those preferences, to their own detriment in terms of their art.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

11. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post

Ed smoked on SNL, if you are referring to Stompin 8H. He tore it up at the Les Paul show with that modified Hot for Teacher. The back-up band didn't sound all that great because Jan Hammer was playing a digital watch, but Ed ripped it. Ed DID get burned a bit by Steve Stevens, but the Mellencamp gig was not bad. He got a huge ovation in the middle of the song after a solo, and he sounded great on a couple of tunes.

I DO agree with you about the whole band, but come on. SNL? That was an awesome performance. When he kicks off that echo and starts ripping off those thirds. Holy shit. Open your ears, man!

TK
    Put simply, Ed played the same old shit in all of the gigs you've mentioned. Granted, it's his shit that he came up with, but he doesn't improvise well at all and he repeats himself a lot. He's an innovator for sure, but he stays inside the box he created...but I give him points for creating the box he stays in. I remember seeing the SNL deal on T.V. back in the day, first thing I thought..."same old shit".

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:53 AM
    Liked 6,987 Times in 5,020 Posts

Premium Member

Put simply, Ed played the same old shit in all of the gigs you've mentioned. Granted, it's his shit that he came up with, but he doesn't improvise well at all and he repeats himself a lot. He's an innovator for sure, but he stays inside the box he created...but I give him points for creating the box he stays in. I remember seeing the SNL deal on T.V. back in the day, first thing I thought..."same old shit".
    Those 'same old things' are just Eddie's signature vocabulary on the guitar . His playing trademarks and nuances , if you will . No different than hearing Page/Clapton/Stevie Ray /insert anyone else , play clichéd blues licks within a familiar 'box' or 'pattern' . We've heard those a gazillion times also ...

Ed did some cool inprov at the Les Paul tribute show IMO . Yeah , the sound and style were known as his , but a few of those specific licks weren't just carbon copies of other solos . Again IMO .

The Stompin' 8H gig is one of my all time favorites by Eddie . He did some different stuff there too , but all within the parameters of His style . That's what he's known for , and that's what fans and other artists want to hear/expect when Ed jams with outside musicians .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

15. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:55 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

TK
    i agree with you. Van Halen with Ed, Dave, Mike and Al are once in a life time. they are magic. can't duplicate that. but Ed on SNL was really good in my opinion.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hang 'em High
    Last Online

10.25.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 90 Times in 45 Posts

I thought he was good on SNL, but there are definitely times when he hasn't blown me away when playing outside the confines of VH. Honestly, the guy has been playing with Al his entire life. Improvisation is to some degree a learned skill. Hendrix started out playing with a variety of other musicians in various styles where the focus wasn't on him strictly a soloist, and it honed his ability to improvise. Same with Clapton. I just don't think that EVH has done very much of that kind of playing so he often falls back on what he does best in VH. Sometimes it's amazing and other times it sounds a bit lazy.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts

Premium Member

You're crazy. Seek help immediately. And you also don't know what "shit" means, so please buy a dictionary.

I'm just kidding, man, to each his own. He does repeat himself quite a bit when improvising. But he KILLED it on SNL. Seriously, it's not even debatable. The others, I'll give you a pass because you're obviously jaded and grumpy...

TK

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

You're crazy. Seek help immediately. And you also don't know what "shit" means, so please buy a dictionary.

I'm just kidding, man, to each his own. He does repeat himself quite a bit when improvising. But he KILLED it on SNL. Seriously, it's not even debatable. The others, I'll give you a pass because you're obviously jaded and grumpy...

TK
    To each his own, exactly. To me he makes it very obvious he's stringing his licks together when he's "improvising", so I don't really consider it pure improvising. Every player will have their catalog of licks that they string together at one point in a jam, the really good improvisers will really improvise and make stuff up on the spot about 30% of the time. Some modern but not necessarily spring chicken players who I think are very good at this is Andy Timmons, Carl Verheyen (you're thinking who? Look him up), Guthrie Govan, and others. Now with Guthrie I appreciate the pure technical prowess he has but I can only take it in small doses. He is a very diverse player though.

I am a bit jaded on Eddie but all bullshit aside, I thought he was repeating himself too often by the late 80's. He changed it up a little during FUCK and Balance. As for anything after that, as I mentioned in a previous post, I threw the towel in with VHIII. He played well on that album, I just couldn't stand the album.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

I don't care who is singing to me it's the music that makes VH.
    You just have to watch the latest video from Ed to see this.

I would like to see a Tour with Sammy those era songs need to be heard again with the way Ed is playing now..
    ITS 5150 TIME

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

yikes, stompin 8h is probably in my top 10 EVH stuff ever. That Les Paul thing is up there too. I do agree ed falls back on a lot of the same licks tho. that descending hammering thing that ends up going down the A string then bends and hammer on the octave A he does ALL the time

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post

That's also why I dig all of his side projects and guest spots , and don't own anything (hardly) by the other guys outside of VH .
    kind of the same here, except I do really like Dave's first 2 solo albums and a few tracks on Lil Ain't Enough but aside from that I don't have much outside vh interest. Never heard a single sammy solo album, or either chicken foot album. Not a sam hater or anything, just doesn't appeal