Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

Default When and how much should you tip for food delivery/carry out?

Let me start off by saying that the whole system of tipping in America is stupid, irrational, and often confusing. Personally, I wish restaurants would just charge a little extra and pay employees more. That being said, below are a few scenarios. In each scenario, tell me if you would tip and how much.

Scenario 1: You order take out from a sit-down restaurant in which a server would wait on you if you were eating in. A server boxes up your meal, takes your money, and hands you the food. Do you tip? How much?

Scenario 2: Same as scenario 1, but instead of a server waiting on you, it is a person dedicated to carry-out orders. Does that make a difference?

Scenario 3: You order take-out, but they have curbside pickup, where someone actually brings the food to your car.

Scenario 4: You pickup a pizza from a chain like Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc.

Scenario 5: You go to a buffet. A server brings you drink refills and clears your empty plates. You get your own food, plates, and silverware.

Please explain your rationale for tipping or not tipping in each scenario.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

1-is it a chick and if so how hot is she?

2-is it a chick and if so how hot is she?

3-how bad is the weather+is a chick and if so how hot is she?

4-why on earth would you pick that up? Delivery when real places are closed is the only reason to get them.

5-is it a chick and if so how hot is she?

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

And now a rant about tipping in America. When eating a restaurant, why is it customary to tip based on the cost of the meal? Let's say I go to a 4-star restaurant and order a steak, baked potato, salad, and a glass of water, which costs $50. At 20%, that is a $10 tip. Now, let's say I go to a chain steakhouse that charges $20 for the same meal. At 20%, that is a $4 tip. Assuming both servers were polite, got my order correct, kept my drink refilled, etc., why does it make sense that one gets $6 more than the other one? They are doing the same amount of work.

If a tip is expected when you pickup an order at sit-down restaurant, why don't you tip when you go to a fast food restaurant? In both cases, the worker is bagging/boxing your food and taking your money. What is the difference?

How about pizza delivery? A lot of places charge you a delivery fee, but the delivery fee doesn't go to the driver and a tip is expected on top of the delivery fee. What kind of bullshit is that?

What about bartenders? If you order a mixed drink and the bartender makes it well, then I get tipping. Or if the bartender opens a beer and pours it in glass with just the right amount of head. Okay, I guess I can see a tip there. But if the bartender just pulls a bottle out of the cooler, opens it, and hands you the bottle, why does he/she deserve a tip for that? That's like tipping a Pepsi machine!

BTW, I want to point out that although I think tipping is asinine in many cases, I still do it and tip reasonably well because I know servers are relying on that money. I just think there are better, more practical ways of ensuring servers receive a decent income.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    4-why on earth would you pick that up? Delivery when real places are closed is the only reason to get them.
    I was just picking places that people know what the routine is. I was trying to distinguish between pizza places that are exclusively sit-down restaurants or carry-out.

Is it a chick and how hot is she
    Scenario 1: It's not a chick.

Scenario 2: It's a chick, but she looks like Rosie O'Donnell.

Scenario 3: It's a hot chick with a nice rack.
    Last edited by VHisback; 03.14.15 at 06:34 PM.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHisback View Post
    I was just picking places that people know what the routine is. I was trying to distinguish between pizza places that are exclusively sit-down restaurants or carry-out.

Scenario 1: It's not a chick.

Scenario 2: It's a chick, but she looks like Rosie O'Donnell.

Scenario 3: It's a hot chick with a nice rack.
    Scenario 1 and 2:
    If the weather is bad that plays a lot into what I tip for any delivery. I have tipped more than the order costs in some cases.

When I order stuff I get fast...I have even had delivery people willing to stop and pick up stuff along the way for me as well coming off surgery because of that....otherwise I go with 15% minimum.

I do it because they live off that more than their pay...and because I don't want to get on anyone's bad side that is handling something I am eating. I don't cook and keep odd hours so I don't expect my better half to cook whenever I am hungry.

Carryout I pay what it costs...sometimes I tip if I know the person working there is an employee..again because I want special treatment...and I get it.

Scenario 3:
    I will support financially...is she into older guys?

For safety I would say 15%...maybe 12? you really don't want someone spitting in that stuff the next time you order.

Take out is what they say you owe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

How about pizza delivery? A lot of places charge you a delivery fee, but the delivery fee doesn't go to the driver and a tip is expected on top of the delivery fee. What kind of bullshit is that?
    It's definitely bullshit. That delivery fee is nothing but a way to charge customers more for the food and increase corporate profits, without actually increasing menu prices. They were reimbursing their drivers for mileage and/or gas long before they ever concocted the delivery fee. It's total bullshit.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:48 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

First:

Let me start off by saying that the whole system of tipping in America is stupid, irrational, and often confusing. Personally, I wish restaurants would just charge a little extra and pay employees more. That being said, below are a few scenarios. In each scenario, tell me if you would tip and how much.

Scenario 1: You order take out from a sit-down restaurant in which a server would wait on you if you were eating in. A server boxes up your meal, takes your money, and hands you the food. Do you tip? How much?

Scenario 2: Same as scenario 1, but instead of a server waiting on you, it is a person dedicated to carry-out orders. Does that make a difference?

Scenario 3: You order take-out, but they have curbside pickup, where someone actually brings the food to your car.

Scenario 4: You pickup a pizza from a chain like Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, etc.

Scenario 5: You go to a buffet. A server brings you drink refills and clears your empty plates. You get your own food, plates, and silverware.

Please explain your rationale for tipping or not tipping in each scenario.
    Scenarios 1-3: If the person takes the time to go through every piece of my order in front of me to make sure that everything is there (and sometimes they open up each container for approval), I tip them 10%. If someone just hands me a bag and rings me up, I don't consider that tip worthy.

Scenario 4: Nope.

Scenario 5: This is the one that trips me up. I feel like leaving 15-20% is too much, but I also feel like leaving a dollar or two is insulting. There is a local place we like to go to where the owners are usually there, but they have 2-3 girls there at any given time taking orders and delivering food to tables. It's not a restaurant. You order up front and sit wherever you want.

However, the girls come by and ask if you need anything and they offer to get you a refill if your glass is low. But the soda fountain is self serve, so I can just as easily get my refill. In fact, they don't insist on filling your glass initially.

But I have seen the owners admonish the girls if someone gets up to get their own refill, as if they aren't doing their job. So I feel awful when I go get my own refill because I feel like I am getting the girls in trouble.

I sometimes tip there and I sometimes don't. Not sure if there is any rhyme or reason as to why.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

"VHisback" is not an alias of mine, I swear!

I was thinking about some of the non-food related tipping we do yesterday and decided to look up what they say about the hairdresser (15-20%). One of the sites (CNN) had a chart, but there was this bit of confusing info:

[I][b]Bartender:[b/] 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink[I]

so which is it?!?

I believe beers where I go are $2.50, so if I drink 3 beers, 20% of that would be $1.50. But if it's $1 per alcoholic drink, then it's $3.00! So that's 40%! So I guess you better be drinking the expensive shit! And it's like VHisback said - all she's basically doing is pulling out a bottle and removing the top.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Let me preface this by saying that I tip at least 20% at a restaurant or bar all the time.

But in the scenarios you provide I don't tip at all, except for the buffet (but not 20%). If I'm ordering food and picking it up, then I'm just paying what they tell me the meal cost and nothing more. I've only had the curbside service a couple of times and each time I gave a small amount (probably a couple bucks).

I don't see a difference between 1 and 2. If I'm picking up from a restaurant it doesn't make a difference which employee hands me the food.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I don't see a difference between 1 and 2. If I'm picking up from a restaurant it doesn't make a difference which employee hands me the food.
    The argument I've heard from some people is that if a person who is serving tables has to take time away from doing that job to box up your food and tend the register, then you should offer a tip because the server is performing a task outside of his/her regular duties and may potentially get less of a tip from a person dining in because the server is busy serving you rather than refilling drinks and taking orders.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    "VHisback" is not an alias of mine, I swear!

I was thinking about some of the non-food related tipping we do yesterday and decided to look up what they say about the hairdresser (15-20%). One of the sites (CNN) had a chart, but there was this bit of confusing info:

[I][b]Bartender:[b/] 15% to 20% of the tab, with a minimum of 50 cents per soft drink, $1 per alcoholic drink[I]

so which is it?!?

I believe beers where I go are $2.50, so if I drink 3 beers, 20% of that would be $1.50. But if it's $1 per alcoholic drink, then it's $3.00! So that's 40%! So I guess you better be drinking the expensive shit! And it's like VHisback said - all she's basically doing is pulling out a bottle and removing the top.
    what they mean is that if you have one $2.50 beer the minimum tip should be $1. It would be gauche to put a couple of quarters down for a tip...but it's done at the local yokel bars around here all the time. If you have 2 beers at $2.50 tip is minimum of $2 ( one dollar per beer) But if you drink the 3 beers and your tab is $7,50 you pay the 15-20% which would only be $1.50 in which case I think most people would put down the $3 so as not to be cheap. Yes this works better for more expensive cocktails!

since I don't drink and I get soft drinks, I always tip the dollar not the 50 cents recommended. It takes almost the same time to pour a soft drink as it does a beer so I think of it as tipping the server for his service...he doesn;t set the wholesale or retail prices after all.

If I am tipping for delivery it depends on whether they tacked on a delivery charge. If no delivery charge I give 20% more if it's a long drive which it frequently is, but those are the ones that usually add the delivery charge

even if a delivery charge is added on, I always give an additional tip but no more than 25% total tip and delivery.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

This is an interesting thread , because I now live in a household that partly relies on tips . When it comes to me , I almost always leave a gratuity in most situations . Whatever I feel is right at the time . I don't have a percentage rule per se , but most people say I'm very generous .

My better half works in the hospitality industry . She can (on a good night) rake in just over $200.00 in tips alone . Most nights it's between $90.00 - 140.00 .
    She works at a family restaurant which doesn't serve alcohol and the waitresses don't 'show any skin' ... LOL
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

I had no idea tips were expected for "carryout" items. I don't tip for that. I'm not giving 20% for someone to put it in a box.

Delivery - Three bucks

Sit downs - 20-22%. I actually think it might be more than 20%, now. Or I thought I heard it was.

Bars - I don't use the 20% system. I just throw down three of four bucks. If I consume a lot of drinks (which I usually don't) I'll add a few more bucks.

Haircut - Three bucks

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

$5 or 20%, whichever is more.

Delivery in bad weather, a little more.

Carry-out, nothing.

Coffee shop, nothing (what's with those tip containers at Starbucks anyway? Are they getting paid the server minimum wage?)

A buffet, maybe a dollar or two.

A bar, if running a tab, the 5/20 rule. If paying individually, 50 cents to a dollar a drink.

I gave up on sending a message by adjusting a tip downward if the service is of bad quality. I'm not convinced that shorting tips results in better quality service for me or anyone else. More likely, it adds to the server disliking their job. I will adjust upwards sometimes for exceptional service, however.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I tip based on the perceived service I have received regardless of the scenario. There are times that I have tipped in all the scenarios noted. What drives me nuts is when the tip is added automatically. I have been in situations where the waitress basically left our table to die yet I was forced to give her a 20% tip???

I also tip based on the situation and not the bill. Two scenarios that I know drive servers nuts:

I took my son for dinner before a show and our bill came to about $30 because a) he had a kids meal and b) I only had one beer. Yet we still occupied that servers table for over an hour. I left him $10.

People use a coupon and tip off of the total of the bill AFTER the coupon is deducted. Come on! How cheap can you be???
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.