Favorite VH Album

1,2,3,wacf, fw, dd,1984, ou812,fuck, rhrn, balance
    Favorite VH Song

more than once
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dear friend,

it seems that we have a sort of empathy...about vh.

i've just posted the reasons of the vh situation.

for sure, ed has recorded more than 5 records, i said 6...but there's no difference...

about the record company, it's all a matter of rights and mamager royalties.
    to me, vh, will have a strong record company, and not a small one. the name, it's too big to be ignored anyway.

about the singer.

well, gary, did a good job, on the 3 record, but, his voice, tryed to be similar to the sammy voice..on the record, was acceptable, but live, the difference was considerable...
    ...i'm not saying that gary has a bad voice, but wasn't the right voice for vh.
    have you heard toj ? if you hear "left fot dead"song already written and recorded first with vh, gary, have a powerful voice, very high!!!

try to listen "without you", can you fell the difference...

i mean, in 5 years, technology has changer, but, gary's voice, seems , on "without you", really bad...

i'm sure at 100% that vh has ready at least more than 5 records...without a singer...

the solution ?

i don't think dave. he had legal problems for the vh merchandise.

gary ? is in toj, and ready to tour.

sammy? well. right now, he's the only one that could give a strong reborn to this band.

he always had a good voice in spite of dave.

and he always impressed in the live performances.

so that's it. we have just to wait.

1) the music is ready
    2) the singer seems to be ready
    3) the record could be out in the next months, but in this years.

4) 2003, will be vh year.

thanks for your post [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH 2
    Favorite VH Song

Outa Love Again
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey ...nice post . About 10 days ago , I put out a cliff note version of this same thought process . "Van Halen Exclusive". It seems very clear to me that VH is a ship run aground . When these guys (VH) finally decide to come clean /bury the hatchet for real/and grow up / maybe then , we the fans can have our band back.
    Dave or Sam is the only real choice for singer.
    I would love to see both,as Sammy suggested . That scenerio is unlikely , but it sure would be fun . Ed and Al need to get shit or get off the pot . In a post 911 world , this whole premadona act is sad . "Hey guys, Grow up "
    CV66

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

11.15.17 @ 03:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice post! Couldn't agree more with most of what you said--though, the choice for front man HAS to be Dave, Sam, or both. I can't see Ed making the III mistake twice--though, some of his comments of late make me think otherwise.

Favorite VH Album

The Classic 6 Pack
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

11.04.17 @ 06:01 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 65 Posts

Bueno BuenoBob!!! Welcome and thanks for different perspective on the matter!!! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Word on the street is you're the South of the border evil twin of this guy...? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Woke up this mornin, got Blue Moon in your eyes...
    http://www.myretrolounge.com

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ditto - Ditto -Ditto

Although I prefer Dave they need Sammy back and quick. Otherwise, Eddie will be touring alongside Great White in these crappy little halls/tents and main staging county fairs. He has a small window of oppurtunity [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img] C'mon,buddy, pull it together.
    "If Clapton is God, then Eddie Van Halen is Jesus Christ" - viewed at my last Halen show

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello one and all! I'm new here, and I thought that I might share with you some of my ideas on how to save the great Van Halen. I'm not sure if this would fit better under opinions and speculation, considering this is all my opinion only, but perhaps the moderators would be kind enough to move it if they deem fit.

Anyway, the way I've looked at Van Halen for some time now is as a down and out alcoholic. I don't mean any offense in saying this, and allow me to apologize if I've just offended anyone in my very second paragraph ever! However, I (and apparently a few others) see Van Halen as kind of at a "rock bottom" point where there's little further left to sink. So, after some consideration, I tied to two together in a weird analogy and came up with a "Ten Step Plan" that I thought would help Van Halen to recover.

If none of you mind, and for your reading amusement, here it is:

1. Sever any and all remaining ties to Ray Danniels and/or SRO Management. If Ray's on the "Sunset Clause", 2004 should negate any remaining royalties due to him (or so I'm speculating). Either way, Van Halen should be able to make some sort of statement about future plans at this point, and make it official, without Ray having any remaining royalties due to him from the results of said announcement (or so I'd imagine). Announce as much of this publically as possible, for the better interests of "keeping fans in the loop" without revealing too much in the way of detail.

2. Find a record label. The best bet is going to be to field all offers, be it a major or an independent. There's advantages and disadvantages all around in this, however. If they were to opt for a smaller label, they get to be the big fish in a small pond (were they to sign with somebody, say, in the vein of Spitfire or Sanctuary). The advatage to that is that they get the most of the labels resources as far as push and funding are concerned. The disadvantage is that the smaller label doesn't have as much to spend as the larger one does. Let's consider they sign to a larger label, somebody along the lines of Columbia or Universal. The major label will have a lot more to offer in the way of wining and dining, but the major labels better interests may not be in Van Halen's backyard. Todays top selling artists are the "teen" flavored acts, considering that the teens make up the biggest percentage of the record buying public (artists like Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Nelly, etc are going to cream that, frankly). I don't say that to attack the band or say that they've gone out of style, but truth be told, hard rock doesn't sell like it used to, and all of it's former leaders, for the most part, have fallen on hard times in getting the numbers, based on the MTV overkill of the above mentioned artists. Radio doesn't generally support anything new from this field of music - the closest you generally get is support for nu-metal, but Van Halen certainly doesn't fall under that catagory. However, if our heroes can get a hit record on their hands, the major label is in a far better position to push the band and the album than an independent one is, for the above stated reasons. It all basically comes down to where they want to place their money on the board, then spin the wheel and see where the ball lands.

3. Find a lead singer. Again, this decision is going to have to be based on what field they're planning to market - the older, more established fans or the newer generation. Regardless of what the decision is, I'd imagine that the older fans who've been pulling and praying for a Roth reunion are going to feel cheated if it's not Roth, and their interest isn't going to be as heavy with anyone else behind the mic. Younger or mid age generation? Either a new singer or possibly Hagar. I don't see any other way to peel that onion. I think it's entirely reasonable that, regardless of what they choose, they're going to alienate part of their fan base any way they go. The risk, of course, of lead singer number four is a repeat of the Cherone incident, and a second outing like that may well run Van Halen's credibility right into the ground. Lead singer #4, if he's from any other band with any sort of real success in it's past, will probably bring that stigma over with him into Van Halen - Cherone certainly did. If it's an unknown (as yet) player, than whoever it is has to be bigger than life and able to adequately fill not only Roth's shoes but Hagar's as well - and that's a hell of a big order for an unestablished singer to jump into. Even Cherone, full of talent as he was (is), couldn't handle it. Again, all options open to them here have their advantages and disadvantages - Van Halen, I feel, needs to access the situation and decide what they want to concentrate on. Right now, they're playing with a crappy deck at a table that hasn't been paying for quite some time. They need to have the next round go in their favor to be able to remain at the table, so whatever they opt for, they're going to have to have at it full speed and no looking back. This decision alone is VERY delicate and will definately influence their careers, regardless of what turn it takes, for better or worse.

4. Tie up an album. Apparently, Edward has stated that he has "five complete albums" written and in the can. This may be true. If so, in those five albums lies ONE really BRILLIANT AND INCREDIBLE album, I'm convinced. The strongest points of what's been written so far need to be examined, re-examined, recorded, re-recorded, re-worked if necessary, and finalized into one powerful effort. Get it on the burner, and quickly, have it ready for release within a month of any decision they announce publically regarding the future of the band.

5. Nail down new management. Read the contracts carefully, and ASK if there's anything in them that looks even remotely fishy. I know Ed's complained about lawyers slowing the process down, but it's a brave new world, and for Van Halen to be safe about what it's doing, they need to realize this and deal with it. Ask questions. Get it in writing. Call people. Get second opinions. Once they've done all that, do it again. BE CERTAIN.

6. Blitzkrieg the media. Hit everything - music stores, MTV, Entertainment Tonight, 20/20, Good Morning America, even Meet the Press if they can. Late night TV - Conan O'Brien, Jay Leno, David Letterman, all of them. Playboy Magazine, Maxim Magazine, Time Magazine, People Magazine, Guitar for the Practicing Musician, Bass Player Magazine, Modern Drummer, TV Guide even. They have to make absolute certain the fact that people know they're still around - right now, the casual Van Halen fan does not. And the casual "Hey, that new Van Halen song I heard on the radio sounds great, they're in all the magazines, that new album must really rip" sales will make all the difference in the world when it comes time to tally up the numbers.

7. Warm up touring. Surprise concerts. Book a club under the name of the "Waldo Jones Band" or something equally vague and have maybe 50 people show up. Not only does this get them back into performance-mode, but it gets them back to more intimate settings where they can examine what's going right for them and what's going wrong. This may be Van Halen, but they haven't set foot on stage together for quite a while now, and they're going to be rusty at first, I almost am willing to guarantee it. Not only that, but playing the smaller shows, in addition to being a learning experience, ought to be a lot of fun for them, too.

8. Tour, Tour, Tour. Every place within reason. Hit the road like they haven't hit it in years. Give the people a chance to see them. Above all, they need to HAVE FUN - if THEY'RE not having fun, NOBODY will be having fun.

9. Empty the vaults. This will save them a LOT of grief over time. If it's not going to be Dave, be fair to the Van Halen fans by unleashing a 2 CD live album, complied between '78/'85. Throw out some video/DVD footage. This will help A LOT. Remix it, remaster it, re-edit it, re-everything it. To be 100% fair, get the Hagar catalog reissued as well, remastered and all that. Throw out a double disc compilation of unreleased songs and covers they did in their earlier days and with Sam to. Maybe even that second album with Cherone ( I think it was going to be titled "Love Again?" - I liked the name so much I actually included it in my signature, hope nobody minds [img]smile.gif[/img] ). If for no other reason, it would give Cherone's fans no further reason to complain - and, ta da, everybody's satisfied, all the fans nailed up in one tight package. Even a box set of all this material would be a good format, I'm sure the people would be more than willing to spend the total on the price tag for such a treat - I know I certainly would. And what better way to say "Hey, we heard you missed us, we're back...we brought our box set..." [img]smile.gif[/img] They must become a "fan-friendly" band again; doing this would cover that territory admirably.

10. Do the above QUICKLY. The longer they wait, the tougher the road will get for them. Health issues can be a concern, and that may have been responsible for these years of waiting, however, from what's been announced, the health issues are in good order, so I suggest that Van Halen strike while the irons still hot (or at least still warm enough to strike at all). I don't believe that further delays will accomplish anything but a more and more deepening PR nightmare that even the above steps, followed precisely, won't get them out of.

Well, I guess that was kind of a long first post, now, wasn't it? Hey, you can all wake up now...

I'd appreciate any feedback, pro or con - what do you folks think about it?

And once again, thanks for having me, it's a pleasure to be here [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Hell Yeah it's Love Again!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

CROSSING OVER
    Last Online

05.25.05 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You have alot of intriguing thoughts there pal.I'm all for you running they're marketing campaign when the next album comes out.Best post I've seen here, except for the that Tribb guy who finds his way out of the guitar room now and again comes up with the wackiest spew ya ever heard.God bless this message board! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]