VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Default Cabo Wabo tone ?

Any of you have some sample settings (effects wise) to approximate Eddie's wet/processed Cabo Wabo tone ?

I'd be using floor pedals , as opposed to rack units . Thanks
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Well, Cabo Wabo was played on a 12-string so you might want to start there. That's where a lot of that shimmering sound comes from. Other than that, I'd just stick with the good old micropitch shift and delay. If you don't have a harmonizer, use a chorus pedal with the rate all the way down to try to simulate it.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Cheers ^^^ and thanks .

I got rid of my digital toys and modelling effects units , and am now trying the 'back to basics' approach for the most part . Individual stomp pedals on the floor in front of the amp .
    I'm digging the results , although my playing still sucks , and just wanted to try some different sounds .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH1/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

HFT/Judgement Day
    Last Online

01.25.16 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

I recently bought the Chroma Chorus Stereo 2 from neunaber technology.
    Best chorus pedal I have had in a long time.
    Its not your traditional chorus per se, and the chorus effect can be modified via usb and their software app.
    It really sounds like a detuner and use micro pitch algorithm.
    Lower the mix and you get YRGM type and crank the mix, increase the detuner and you're in the FUCK-Balance zone.
    Absolutely transparent in the loop of my 5153.
    Great pedal!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freak6767 View Post
    I recently bought the Chroma Chorus Stereo 2 from neunaber technology.
    Best chorus pedal I have had in a long time.
    Its not your traditional chorus per se, and the chorus effect can be modified via usb and their software app.
    It really sounds like a detuner and use micro pitch algorithm.
    Lower the mix and you get YRGM type and crank the mix, increase the detuner and you're in the FUCK-Balance zone.
    Absolutely transparent in the loop of my 5153.
    Great pedal!
    Really sounds interesting. How much is this pedal?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

VH1/FUCK
    Favorite VH Song

HFT/Judgement Day
    Last Online

01.25.16 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Here is the link with price and specs:
    http://neunaber.net/collections/fron...horus-pedal-v2

I'm pretty sure you could find one second hand cheaper (although I couldnt find one in France at all...!)

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Time out.

A little bit needs to be said about this pedal. The inspiration for this, at least I'd like to believe, is derived from the old BBD chips used in the late 70s through mid 80s, with the peak being the Boss DC-2, which I own.

Essentially the DC-2 creates a detuned signal (one dry, one detuned, but not "warbling") to simulate two strings playing at once.

This can arguably be replicated by turning your rate down VERY low, but to truly recreate the Detune ("Micro Pitch Shift", by today's labels), you need the Boss Pedal (discontinued 20 years ago), the Neunaber, or for a mono option, Digitech's Luxe Anti Chorus pedal (and by that reckoning, their absolute latest Whammy pedal).

So it's two wave forms that move relatively close to Unison (think: 316), but without criss-crossing each other into muddy garbage.

For the money, though, I'd seriously consider paying for Eventide's H-9. Yes, it is (gasp!) digital. But this isn't DC-3 Digital, or even 1980s digital. I'd consider using either their 949 or Micropitch presets.

The former for early VH, through OU812, and the latter for the tones after that, although the high-gain amplifier & mixing was totally different, and it's a whole different story, blah blah blah, I'm old and tired.

One may even experience poor results depending on whether they use the pedal before the amp, or post distortion. That awful empty space between the original signal and intended doubling has happened to me, and it can get ugly. Put them in the loop, if at all possible. Unless you can minimize or eliminate the doubled signal's delay completely, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Good to throw my thoughts out here again. Have a good night.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

^^^ Thanks for that post . It was an interesting read .

For my practice amp at home , I'm running Dunlop , Boss and MXR pedals into a clean amp . I'm getting my gain from an MXR Super Badass .
    I am using digital for my delays ... Any pitch shift pedal I buy would go after the distortion (simulating an amp's effects loop) , so there's not as much 'muddy garbage' .LOL

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

Honestly, when I play Cabo, I just have chorus on, and switch to single coil mode on my coil-tapped Charvel SoCal guitar. It's "passable" I suppose.

Actually, I didn't get something interesting when I combined chorus and detune on my Boss GT-100, but can still say it was far from nailing it.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

I actually have a 1966 Fender Electric XII, but the electric 12-string that Ed used on the recording was a mongrel Telecaster body with a 12-string bridge and a hockey stick electric 12-string neck from an actual 60s Fender Electric XII. This alone makes the core tone very difficult to replicate. But to me, the majority of the tone comes from the Eventide detune and chorus sounds...Majestic is spot on with everything he said.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

When that album came out, my main amp was a GK 250ML, which I still have. I used to put the four EQ knobs at 12 o'clock, press the echo and chorus buttons and I think it sounded pretty close.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I actually have a 1966 Fender Electric XII, but the electric 12-string that Ed used on the recording was a mongrel Telecaster body with a 12-string bridge and a hockey stick electric 12-string neck from an actual 60s Fender Electric XII. This alone makes the core tone very difficult to replicate. But to me, the majority of the tone comes from the Eventide detune and chorus sounds...Majestic is spot on with everything he said.
    Yep. I used to play this tune a lot. I had an old Charvel Surfcaster 12. It got close with the type of pickups it had...They were lipsticks, but higher output that were closer to a regular singlecoil...(Just noisier!) I used my Boss CE-3 Chorus Ensemble pedal for a Harmonizer type tone for the years I didn't have an Eventide Harmonizer for most of the Van Hagar era things I used to jam. It was the best for that kind of tone at the time, and still holds up today IMO.
    Another little thing that makes the tone is using a digital delay with a real fast single slap-back....like 3 to 5 ms... something like that, and with a fairly high, or even equal repeat level/volume. You don't really pick up that it is a delay if you set it right.....It just makes it sound confined, and almost compressed in a way, but still retains that dry feel. If you're just recording normally in a room via regular old close miking, or even going direct from a modeler, it's adds that little something.
    If you remember, Ed actually recorded this track putting his amp in a closet at the studio, so it gives this kind of thumpy, snappy, reflected quality to the riff that seems to accentuate the harmonized 12 string tone even more.
    It's cool!
    He even told the funny story to GW about how Val was going around muttering "Ba-da, ba-da, baaaaaa...Bmp-Bmp!!!!"
    because is was pounding through the walls!

16. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Probably my favorite song from the Sammy era and in my top five Van Halen songs of all time. I always knew the guitar sounded different so it's cool to read here how that tone came about. I'm a guitar hack so it's wonderful to read how all of you use your tools to get the different tones you want. It's like magic to me! Too bad this song will never ever be played live properly again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:07 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Here is the guitar Ed used...

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Yep. I used to play this tune a lot. I had an old Charvel Surfcaster 12. It got close with the type of pickups it had...They were lipsticks, but higher output that were closer to a regular singlecoil...(Just noisier!) I used my Boss CE-3 Chorus Ensemble pedal for a Harmonizer type tone for the years I didn't have an Eventide Harmonizer for most of the Van Hagar era things I used to jam. It was the best for that kind of tone at the time, and still holds up today IMO.
    Another little thing that makes the tone is using a digital delay with a real fast single slap-back....like 3 to 5 ms... something like that, and with a fairly high, or even equal repeat level/volume. You don't really pick up that it is a delay if you set it right.....It just makes it sound confined, and almost compressed in a way, but still retains that dry feel. If you're just recording normally in a room via regular old close miking, or even going direct from a modeler, it's adds that little something.
    If you remember, Ed actually recorded this track putting his amp in a closet at the studio, so it gives this kind of thumpy, snappy, reflected quality to the riff that seems to accentuate the harmonized 12 string tone even more.
    It's cool!
    He even told the funny story to GW about how Val was going around muttering "Ba-da, ba-da, baaaaaa...Bmp-Bmp!!!!"
    because is was pounding through the walls!
    LOL !!! The story about Val made me laugh .

Thanks for this whole post too . That's kind of what I was asking about - different effects and settings etc.
    Cheers

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: