Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Which should I build?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • B&W Franky with Floyd

    12 60.00%
  • Wolfgang (Peavey Special style)

    8 40.00%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
  1. #1
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default Dilemma: Not sure which of two guitars to build

    So, I'm kinda stuck right now...


    I have a Mean Street Exile I built from parts, but I just haven't bonded with it. It sounds great and stays in tune just fine after I hodgepodged a blocking mechanism to keep the bridge from floating, but I'm just not feeling it.


    So, I decided I'm going to take it apart and use the hardware and electronics off it to build another guitar.


    Now, I'm more than likely going to go with some parts from Chris Locke. But I'm not sure which direction to go in.


    Do I build a B&W Franky with a Floyd Rose and a single bridge humbucker mounted to the body under the pickguard?


    Or...


    Do I build Wolfgang with no binding or top (like a Peavey Special) with two humbuckers?


    This guitar will more than likely become my second Floyded half-step down guitar as I have my orange Strat that I use for my half-step down stuff and my Peavey Wolfgang Special that I use for Standard. I have my old Franky that seems to prefer being tuned standard that would be my second standard guitar.


    What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,407
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:34 PM
    Likes
    6,135
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I'd go with the Wolfgang style if it were me .
    The dual pickup design make it a more versatile guitar IMO . The neck pickup is a nice 'change of color' when you feel like it .

    You know the saying - "It's better to have it and not need it , than ..."
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  3. #3
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I'd go with the Wolfgang style if it were me .
    The dual pickup design make it a more versatile guitar IMO . The neck pickup is a nice 'change of color' when you feel like it .

    You know the saying - "It's better to have it and not need it , than ..."
    True. It's so rare that I use neck pickups, but the neck pickup I have in the Exile (DiMarzio D-Activator) is actually really nice and bright, surprisingly.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,407
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:34 PM
    Likes
    6,135
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I just bought a pair of new Wolfgang humbuckers from a member on Halen.com .
    Have never tried the Wolf neck pickup , so I'm excited to install them on my blue or blue AX40 . The bridge one of course , in loaded in the EVH striped series axes I have . They scream !!!

    I just really like having the option to use a neck pickup for a tonal and feel contrast .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  5. #5
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I just bought a pair of new Wolfgang humbuckers from a member on Halen.com .
    Have never tried the Wolf neck pickup , so I'm excited to install them on my blue or blue AX40 . The bridge one of course , in loaded in the EVH striped series axes I have . They scream !!!

    I just really like having the option to use a neck pickup for a tonal and feel contrast .
    The newer EVH Wolfgang pickups are different from the Peavey version. From what I understand they're brighter. Sometimes I want to put a series/parallel switch on the neck of my Special so I can get a brighter neck tone without gaining hum, too.

  6. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  7. #6
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    04.28.09
    Location
    Canton, OH
    Posts
    64
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    04.07.16 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Well which ever direction you decide to go, I am ready to help you out on it.

    Oh and I cant log into the other site as I am having the same issue as ledvedder. So if anyone tried to PM me on there I cant see it.

    Look forward to working with you man!
    Chris

  8. #7
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by factory5150 View Post
    Well which ever direction you decide to go, I am ready to help you out on it.

    Oh and I cant log into the other site as I am having the same issue as ledvedder. So if anyone tried to PM me on there I cant see it.

    Look forward to working with you man!
    Chris
    D'oh! That could explain why it seems like it DIED there.

    I'll PM you here, then. LOL

  9. #8
    Good Enough Kevin Dodds's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.25.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,806
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    "Unchained"
    Last Online

    09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Likes
    1,331
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

    Default

    I always love to see excellent homemade B&W Franks.

    I agree that it's nice to have versatile guitar though, but I lean toward the classics.

    KBD3

  10. #9
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    I always love to see excellent homemade B&W Franks.

    I agree that it's nice to have versatile guitar though, but I lean toward the classics.

    KBD3
    Well, I do have an HSS Strat and a Peavey Wolfgang. And I mostly play on the bridge anyway.

    Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

  11. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  12. #10
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,660
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Likes
    575
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The BW Franky just has so much more character than the new Wolfgang guitars, even if the Wolfgangs are better crafted.

    I vote for the BW Franky, but I suppose it depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are going to be playing half step down classic VH, I see no reason for it to be a Wolfgang. However, if you are going to play a diverse set of music, go for the Wolfy.

    Pictures of progress are a must now that you've asked for our opinions.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  13. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  14. #11
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    The BW Franky just has so much more character than the new Wolfgang guitars, even if the Wolfgangs are better crafted.

    I vote for the BW Franky, but I suppose it depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are going to be playing half step down classic VH, I see no reason for it to be a Wolfgang. However, if you are going to play a diverse set of music, go for the Wolfy.

    Pictures of progress are a must now that you've asked for our opinions.
    Funny thing is I'm not actually playing any VH in the band setting. We do a couple covers, but we haven't thrown any VH in there. All the originals are kinda '80s pop rock influenced with a modern edge.

    For instance, on this track,

    https://soundcloud.com/isontheband/everything

    I used this guitar, which is my main half-step-down guitar.


  15. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  16. #12
    Good Enough JakeK21's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.11
    Age
    23
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,288
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    There's just too many
    Last Online

    10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    124
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    Like others have said, I prefer the Wolfgang for the versatility. A Franky replica is totally fun to play and look at, but I'd be worried that the fun might wear off after a bit and then you're sort of stuck with a VH-only guitar. If your band is playing different things then you definitely want to have that variety with the neck pickup.

  17. #13
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,407
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:34 PM
    Likes
    6,135
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    I always love to see excellent homemade B&W Franks.

    I agree that it's nice to have versatile guitar though, but I lean toward the classics.

    KBD3
    I just got through PM'ing another EVH fanatic on here -japeape- about that issue . I prefer having dual pickups , but I love the look of Ed's early guitars !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  18. #14
    5150 GilmourD's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.01.12
    Posts
    587
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Likes
    161
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Like others have said, I prefer the Wolfgang for the versatility. A Franky replica is totally fun to play and look at, but I'd be worried that the fun might wear off after a bit and then you're sort of stuck with a VH-only guitar. If your band is playing different things then you definitely want to have that variety with the neck pickup.
    Well... It's not like I only have one guitar...





    LOL

  19. #15
    Good Enough JakeK21's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.11
    Age
    23
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,288
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    There's just too many
    Last Online

    10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Likes
    124
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    HAHAHA. Damn dude. Now knowing that, I say go with whatever your heart desires.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! My Tour Dilemma
    By Otis5150 in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09.28.07, 11:03 AM
  2. Dilemma
    By VanHalen2079 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12.12.06, 09:38 AM
  3. Moral Dilemma.....
    By seenbad in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 05.05.05, 07:45 AM
  4. Amp Dilemma
    By 5150atomic in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12.07.02, 08:02 AM
  5. Roland Will Build you Van Halen Style guitars
    By TopJimmy in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06.30.00, 09:44 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •