Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Default Help with my wedding music

As I have mentioned here and there, I am getting married in June. We're saving money where we can, and one of those spots is a DJ. They cost about $1500, and it felt wrong to spend that much money when we're going to tell him or her exactly what to play. So $1500 for a nameless MC seemed a tad excessive. I realize DJs also bring energy and stuff, but we have that covered.

My fiance's cousin has her PhD in theater and does stand up comedy. She has agreed to keep the night moving, making announcements and such. Otherwise, we're just going to rent a PA and set the music up to play.

Anyway, we're both very analytical, logical people, and we both care a lot about music, so we are being very meticulous with our list. Number one, we realize we have to play a lot of music people know. We want everyone to have fun. So we have studied the lists you can find online about popular wedding/party songs. I made a playlist of those songs that I had. Next, we're in the process of making playlists of danceable songs we like (for example, one of my favorite songs is Interstate Love Song by STP, but it isn't very danceable). From there we will veto and whittle the playlists down to a couple hours and then combine them, so we will have classic wedding songs we don't hate, plus songs we really like.

So I am asking you guys for help in two ways. 1) Which classic wedding songs do you hate (my fiance hates Wild Thing and Funky Cold Medina), and 2) what song or songs would you like to hear at a wedding that aren't considered wedding "classics?" We're looking for songs from all eras so no one feels left out (1950s-2010s).

I have a pretty wide selection of music that I like, so don't limit yourself to rock, hard rock, and metal. Most of those songs aren't really that danceable anyway.

Thanks!

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

When they introduce you and the new Mr and Mrs Lovemachine97(Version 2_) walk out to the 'die' riff from Creeping Death.

Enhance with smog, lazers and pyro.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    When they introduce you and the new Mr and Mrs Lovemachine97(Version 2_) walk out to the 'die' riff from Creeping Death.

Enhance with smog, lazers and pyro.
    Ha! Well, we are doing something pretty tongue in cheek already. The venue, which is beautiful and is used for weddings all the time, is also a cemetary.

So the bridal party, as of this moment, will be introduced to Thriller.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 03.12.15 at 04:14 PM.

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Ha! Well, we are doing something pretty tongue in cheek already. The venue, which is beautiful and is used for weddings all the time, is also a cemetary.

So the bridal party, as of this moment, will be introduced to Thriller.
    I like how you think!

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    I like how you think!
    The line I'm telling people is that my mom (seriously) grew up in the south and loved Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. She even still has her Double R Ranch play set from when she was a kid. Eventually, her family ended up in the city where both my family and I still live. It also happens to be the area where Roy and Dale retired. My parents house is a mile from their old house.

Well, turns out, my parents and I (as a kid) went to the same church Roy and Dale attended as well. So we knew them.

Now I can tell my mom that, yes, Roy and Dale will also be attending my wedding. Because they are buried there.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

that is awesome.

You're wedding already sounds far more interesting than what I had to endure.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

I come from the Midwest were it isn't a wedding reception unless the Chicken Dance is played...so I'm probably not the best to answer this
    but hey, you know what's great about Polkas? 2 beers and everyone knows how to Polka.

but I hate anything Titanic....how was that a great romance? There was enough room for 2 on that board....oh and add Unchained Melody to that list of dislikes

If you want something out of the box i always suggest John Prine and Iris Dement "In Spite of Ourselves" or Pinks True Love ( if you dont mind the lyrics "I want to wrap my hands around your neck I love you but you're an asshole")"

anyway I like those standard "get up and dance songs"...Louie Louie, Love Shack, Twist and Shout, Celebration, Bee Bees, ABBA Journey Kc and the Sunshine Band...Pinks Get the Party Started or Raise Your Glass, Pharells Happy would be a great choice

I know a lot of people are sick of Wonderful Tonite, and How Sweet it is, What a Wonderful World... but they are great wedding songs IMO and sometimes the cliche things work because they're just so good.

thing is if you want current dance music or EDM or club style music, just save it til later after the older folks have gone home,

if your family are Roy Rogers fans you gotta play Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 03.12.15 at 06:27 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Alright. I'm gonna browse through my music later tonight and see if I can come up with a Spotify playlist so you can check out the songs. Not sure if I can really come up with a good wedding playlist, but I'll give it a shot.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Congrats!!

Here's a good slow one...

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I come from the Midwest were it isn't a wedding reception unless the Chicken Dance is played...so I'm probably not the best to answer this
    but hey, you know what's great about Polkas? 2 beers and everyone knows how to Polka.

but I hate anything Titanic....how was that a great romance? There was enough room for 2 on that board....oh and add Unchained Melody to that list of dislikes

If you want something out of the box i always suggest John Prine and Iris Dement "In Spite of Ourselves" or Pinks True Love ( if you dont mind the lyrics "I want to wrap my hands around your neck I love you but you're an asshole")"

anyway I like those standard "get up and dance songs"...Louie Louie, Love Shack, Twist and Shout, Celebration, Bee Bees, ABBA Journey Kc and the Sunshine Band...Pinks Get the Party Started or Raise Your Glass, Pharells Happy would be a great choice

I know a lot of people are sick of Wonderful Tonite, and How Sweet it is, What a Wonderful World... but they are great wedding songs IMO and sometimes the cliche things work because they're just so good.

thing is if you want current dance music or EDM or club style music, just save it til later after the older folks have gone home,

if your family are Roy Rogers fans you gotta play Happy Trails!
    Thanks! It's funny, it's the slow songs that are a problem for me. I have put Unchained Melody and Wonderful Tonight into the playlist for now, but it's because of a lack of slow songs and because I want people to have music from their "era" so they will have fun.

Wonderful World may be incorporated into my fiance's dance with her dad. We're considering the ukulele medley by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. It starts off as Over the Rainbow and transitions into What a Wonderful World.

Thanks for bringing up Titanic. That's definitely a no go.

I thought a little bit out of the box for my mom and me if we do a dance. She loves Rod Stewart and Forever Young is a guilty pleasure of mine. The subject matter is perfect, and while the original isn't good for a slow dance, his 1996 remake is. So we might do that.

Also, good point on the stuff the old folks won't like. I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Alright. I'm gonna browse through my music later tonight and see if I can come up with a Spotify playlist so you can check out the songs. Not sure if I can really come up with a good wedding playlist, but I'll give it a shot.
    You don't have to go to all that trouble, but I won't stop you. If you have a few suggestions, that's good enough for me :-)

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

That song they spoofed on SNL...What is Love. That'll get people dancin'.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

How Many Say I (Do) ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:41 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

I used to DJ weddings and parties for about 15 years. Have not done it in about 10years . message me and I can send you my email. We can chat more.
    Are you gonna do these things.?
    Garder belt and bouquet throw?
    Cake cutting. Apron dance?

GET READY.......
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

If your mom likes Rod Stewart and you are looking for slow songs "Have I told you lately that I love you" altho I prefer the Van Morrison version
    "A kiss to build a dream on" Louie Armstrong
    Beatles In My Life is a good one
    Michael Buble Sway,(or better yet the Dean Martin version) or Buble's Save the last Dance, Home, Everything
    slow classics by Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga Cheek to Cheek or They all Laughed, Ella Fitzgerald, Etta james "At last" are good
    Otis Sitting on the Dock of the bay
    Johnny Mathias Chances Are
    Dean martin Return to me (it's just so retro/cool IMO... hell, I just love Dean)
    Rosemary Clooney Mambo Italiano is fun and upbeat
    I know alot of people dont like Jason Mraz but "Lucky" and "I'm Yours" are good
    but what Is that James Blunt song 'Beautiful"?,,,dreadful! don't go there!

don't know how you feel about country music but there are some nice country slow songs
    Allison Krause ...when you say nothing at all...
    Zac Brown "whatever it is"
    willie or Patsy "Crazy"
    Tim Mcgraw My Best Friend or She's My kind of rain
    Martina McBride Valentine

the important thing really is just choose songs YOU love...you'll be surrounded by people you love and they'll love what you love
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 03.13.15 at 09:51 AM.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

very important to have the right music at your reception, in my opinion. Ideally you want something your guests will like or at least tolerate, but ultimately, the day is about you two and the music should speak to that. Fortunately, I don't have to go to a lot of weddings, so I can't tell you if these songs are played out or not, but some I'd look at are (sticking mainly to the slow numbers as they are harder to get right):

"Take My Breath Away" - Berlin
    "Sea Of Love" - Honeydrippers
    "Sentimental Lady" - Bob Welch (or Fleetwood Mac)
    "Magnet And Steel" - Walter Egan
    "Slow Dancing" - Johnny Rivers
    "Heaven", "Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" - Bryan Adams
    "Hysteria" - Def Leppard
    "Tiny Dancer" - Elton John
    "Can't Help Falling In Love" - ELVIS
    "Waiting For A Girl Like You", "I Don't Want To Live Without You" - Foreigner
    "Hold On My Heart" - Genesis
    "In Your Eyes" - Peter Gabriel
    "The Man In Love With You" - George Strait
    "Not Enough Time" - INXS
    "Be My Lady" - Jefferson Starship
    "Woman" - John Lennon
    "Faithfully" - Journey
    "Thank You" - Led Zeppelin
    "Maybe I'm Amazed", "My Love" - Paul McCartney/Wings
    "Show Me" - Pretenders
    "You're My Best Friend" - Queen
    "Stand By Me" - Ben E. King/John Lennon/Mickey Gilley - take your pick!
    "If I Fell", "And I Love Her", "Here There And Everywhere", "Something" - The Beatles
    "Send One Your Love" - Stevie Wonder

not a hit, but I still like it - "Original Of The Species" - U2

your tastes may vary!

22. The Following Member Likes This Post: