Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default A plan to dedicate two public high schools in suburban Washington to immigrants

WASHINGTON – A plan that would dedicate two public high schools in suburban Washington to immigrants and students struggling with English is pitting black and Hispanic communities -– usually allies -- against one another.

The Prince George’s County, Md., chapter of the NAACP is strongly opposing the plan -- which would take effect next school year, and cover about 800 students having English language difficulties -- claiming it will pull resources from other students and unfairly redistribute them to Hispanic students. Some critics go so far as to compare the plan to segregation.

“It’s a slap in the face,” Bob Ross, president of the Prince George’s County branch of the NAACP, told FoxNews.com.

Ross believes the proposal to open two new schools violates the landmark 1954 Brown v. Board of Education decision that ruled separate schools for black and white students violated the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

“It risks turning Prince George’s County into a segregated school system,” Ross said, adding that he realizes the need for better education in the county but believes it should not come at the cost of existing students.

Latino advocacy group CASA de Maryland sees it differently. The group, which has pushed for the schools, argues that it’s not a violation of the Constitution because the schools are not mandatory and are being built to provide options to immigrants

“If we are saying all [English-language-learning] students must go to these schools, that’s one thing. But we are not,” Tehani Collazo, senior director of schools and community engagement at CASA, told FoxNews.com.

Collazo said Ross’ comments that the schools would take away opportunities from some students and reward others doesn’t add up.

“We see these students as Prince George’s County students,” she said. “They are eligible for an education. The charge that funds are being taken away is a false charge because they are all of our students. They deserve access – full access – to a quality education.”

Kevin Maxwell, CEO of Prince George’s County Public Schools which are moving ahead with the school plans later this year, agrees.

“Like the many that already exist across the country, the International Schools are schools of choice,” he said in a written statement to FoxNews.com. “They are built on an innovative and proven model that will help support the needs of our most struggling group of learners – English Language Learners.”

He added that the schools focus “on providing opportunity for all of our students no matter their country of origin, race, creed or status.”

The schools are expected to open with 100 9th graders and make room for another 100 students each year until the schools hit their capacity of 400 students each. The CASA International School at Largo High will operate as a school within a school. The Langley Park school, about a 20-minute drive from Largo, will likely operate as a standalone.

The schools will be funded in part by a $3 million Carnegie Corporation grant. The rest will come from the state and local funding.

Despite the intense controversy, the facilities are not unprecedented. The schools themselves will be fashioned like other CASA-Internationals Community Schools currently operating in New York and California.

In New York, 64 percent of students at the CASA schools graduated in four years, compared with 45 percent of similar students with language barriers in other city schools, the organization said.

The move highlights tensions in Prince George’s County between the community’s black and Hispanic populations. According to the most recent U.S. Census data, blacks make up 65.1 percent of the county’s population while Hispanics make up 16.2 percent.

A recent study by CASA – used in their pitch for the two new high schools -- found that 82 percent of students living in the Langley Park school district are at risk of dropping out of high school. The Latino and immigrant advocacy group says there are “serious challenges” with education in the area and argues that opening these schools would help lower attrition rates.

Ross said his organization was initially notified after an angry parent of a public school student brought it to his attention. He also believes that if the schools are allowed to operate it will create an even bigger rift in the community between the two groups and blames CASA for fueling the tension.

“We don’t want to fight,” Ross said. “You’re causing a black-brown fight in the community and the fact is, we need programs to be inclusive for all our children.”

Despite the pushback, both schools are on schedule to open their doors in a few months. Ross says he’s not giving up.

“Everybody has dreams. You are living the American dream,” Ross said of the CASA organization. “What’s wrong with pushing to secure it for everyone?”

The next step for the NAACP is a March 26 meeting with Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker III. Calls to Baker’s office for comment were not returned.

Ross also says the chapter will “go into community action mode” which he describes as organizing rallies and demonstrations.

Another non-FOX source...
    http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...267257161.html
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,116 Times in 8,948 Posts

Great, we are now going to have schools dedicated to mostly illegal immigrants.

That's just pure genius.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Great, we are now going to have schools dedicated to mostly illegal immigrants.

That's just pure genius.
    I'm afraid to see what this country will look like in 50 years.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,116 Times in 8,948 Posts

I believe we will be going to war instead of paying our debts, that is my opinion on why no one is worried about it.

We never intend to pay it back.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thank you LBJ
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

The NAACP is worried African Americans are starting to become the #2 minority in this country and won't get first dibs on government handouts. Now Latinos are moving in as the #1 minority and getting preferential treatment over African Americans when it comes to redistributing wealth. Oh well, in another few decades whites will be in that roll only difference is if something is all white it's racist. You can have a dating website called blackpeoplemeet.com and it's okay but try having one for whites and you are racist.
    The American Dream
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

To this day, schools are still mostly segregated. Instead of being segregated by race, though, they are segregated by socioeconomic status. And even in diverse communities, boundary lines are typically drawn to separate the upper middle class and rich kids from the rest of the community.

Without school choice, your child is then bound to go to the school that reflects your economic status.

What makes this worse is that public schools tend to educate by what they expect the students to do after they graduate high school. Schools tend to work to try and keep the status quo. I don't think it is a conscious thing, but poorer schools tend to prepare kids for input-output jobs, middle class schools tend to prepare kids for being lawyers, teachers, etc., and affluent schools tend to prepare kids to run things, be the boss.

If we had school choice, then we could open a school specifically for English language learners, and then you wouldn't be forced to go or not go. As someone who has been trained in this, though, isolating these students is not the way to get them to buy in and learn standard English. They need to understand that standard English is a tool for success. It should not supplant a student's home language, nor should it supplant the many dialects we all speak with different groups that deviate from standard English.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Yeah, it sucks but at this point it's a must have. We need them speaking English, at the very least. People living here and not knowing the language is annoying.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I believe we will be going to war instead of paying our debts, that is my opinion on why no one is worried about it.

We never intend to pay it back.
    Sadly, I think you're right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    The NAACP is worried African Americans are starting to become the #2 minority in this country and won't get first dibs on government handouts. Now Latinos are moving in as the #1 minority and getting preferential treatment over African Americans when it comes to redistributing wealth. Oh well, in another few decades whites will be in that roll only difference is if something is all white it's racist. You can have a dating website called blackpeoplemeet.com and it's okay but try having one for whites and you are racist.
    The American Dream
    nail on the head. The progress made by the NAACP cannot really be considered progress at all in my opinion. Sure they have pushed forward the call for civil rights....and there is still much work to be done there, but the lobbying for more an more entitlement programs has created a class of slaves to poverty. They should be focusing more on lobbying for reform of school funding so that the predominantly black schools get better funding. THAT'S the way out of poverty.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    To this day, schools are still mostly segregated. Instead of being segregated by race, though, they are segregated by socioeconomic status. And even in diverse communities, boundary lines are typically drawn to separate the upper middle class and rich kids from the rest of the community.

Without school choice, your child is then bound to go to the school that reflects your economic status.

What makes this worse is that public schools tend to educate by what they expect the students to do after they graduate high school. Schools tend to work to try and keep the status quo. I don't think it is a conscious thing, but poorer schools tend to prepare kids for input-output jobs, middle class schools tend to prepare kids for being lawyers, teachers, etc., and affluent schools tend to prepare kids to run things, be the boss.

If we had school choice, then we could open a school specifically for English language learners, and then you wouldn't be forced to go or not go. As someone who has been trained in this, though, isolating these students is not the way to get them to buy in and learn standard English. They need to understand that standard English is a tool for success. It should not supplant a student's home language, nor should it supplant the many dialects we all speak with different groups that deviate from standard English.
    as in my first post, huuuge problem in this country The disparity of how much is spent per pupil in so many jurisdictions and from the first day of school is horrible, One year of "head start" program will not make a difference when you look at 12 years of sub par education to follow.

as far as these immigrant schools. If they are just focused on children with language deficiencies, i think they should also include English speaking children who are having difficulty with the written ( and in some cases spoken) language Urban and rural schools are graduating too many students who have elementary school level reading and writing skills (or less). This is a hurdle not just to higher education, but to many employment opportunities. If it's just a Spanish to English transition, well, then they should have started this much earlier in the education process.

but I think that if you voluntarily "segregate" the children with those special needs, you will free up resources for other children and that would be a good thing

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default A plan to dedicate two public high schools in suburban Washington to immigrants

Absolutely agree with the first part of you post Daisy but you can't just tie it to $. In my district (based on the data I found) we spend more than any other in SC ($18000/student/year) yet our schools are among the worst. You know who's right there with us? The district that spends next highest, etc, etc, etc....The money is there, nice new facilities(at taxpayer expense + the old ones never go away and have to be maintained, again at taxpayer expense) yet we have a lot of ignorant people going to college or into the workforce unprepared for what life throws at them. I don't know the answer but I do know the definition to insanity is doing something the same way & expecting a different result.

Welcome to the asylum.
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 03.13.15 at 09:47 AM.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:58 PM
    Liked 2,232 Times in 1,350 Posts

there's a difference between spending money on facilities and spending money on programs, supplies and salaries to attract the best teachers

if I understand your district is spending money on new facilities and wasting money maintaining the old, it's time for new leadership

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Totally agree. No doubt time for new leadership. Hard to do though when the excuse for poor performance is laid on the facility as opposed to what goes on in it. AND the largest voting block is the people who use the public schools. They'd much rather have that shiny new bauble of a new school to cure the problem as opposed to recognizing that the system itself is broken and needs fixing. It's a given here that if you want your child to get even a half decent education that private or homeschool are your only options.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:51 PM
    Liked 3,108 Times in 1,820 Posts

Premium Member

As much as so many hate the idea, competition creates a better product at a cheaper price. As long as children are forced to go to the school that they live nearest to, not much is going to change.

Here's another problem that is near and dear to my mom's heart (she taught for 40 years in elementary school and now is hired by districts to train their teachers on how to teach writing)--we have so much money shifted to special needs students or students who are behind that the gifted have almost nothing.

Of course, the idea is that they will be alright on their own, but gifted students need challenges that normal classroom environments don't give them. What actually tends to happen is that gifted students tend to work for B and C students because they never learn a work ethic. I can tell you, personally, that my study habits were awful. I could not study and get an A no problem. I was in GATE in elementary school, but then the program in high school was just busy work, not challenging work. So my mom took me out of the program.

So when I went to college and I was at the point where studying was essential, I failed miserably. It it took years for me to go back, motivated as an adult, to get through college.

So while we need to be concerned about underachieving kids, especially those not learning standard English, we can't do it at the expense of the best and brightest in schools either.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post: