Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 352 Times in 181 Posts

Default Balance Tour Kicks Off 20 Years Ago Today

My favorite of the Hagar albums & my favorite tour in respect to Ed's playing.

Discuss any and all Balance Tour related stories or reviews here. Unfortunately, I was too young to attend any of the shows, so it would be cool to hear some untold stories or see some unseen pics or vids.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:54 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

I saw this tour in Atlanta, Lakewood Amphitheatre. I remember the band was pretty tight, and Ed's playing was "on" that night. BUT I also remember his energy seemed really low, and he didn't move around much. No doubt this is because of his hip replacement problems at the time. Also Al was in the neck brace. No wonder they called it the "Ambulance" tour. But it was a good show, the first I'd seen them since the OU812 tour. Brother Cain opened.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 1,880 Times in 1,098 Posts

saw them twice on this tour, once on the first leg (I think it was on Easter Sunday) and it was "OK", not great. I remember being a little let down.

Second time I saw them was in the summer and it was a great, great show. Almost like a different band than what I saw a few months earlier. I remember I thought things weren't going well within the band but at the start of this show Sam and Ed walked out, Sam had his arm around Ed's shoulder like they were best buds and launched into Big Fat Money and it was awesome. Really everything about that show was just great.

I used to a have a boot of them from St Louis where they played 5150 on this tour, it got stolen and I've never been able to find audio of that again.

They were great on Letterman doing Not Enough...I don't care if it was a ballad or not it was perfectly executed. They were great on Jon Stewart doing Amsterdam and AFtershock....just incredible.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,072 Times in 8,927 Posts

I've told this story on here before. I saw them in Roanoke I believe (sorry, all the shows start running into one another as I age), and I went with a guy who played guitar in a little regional club band.

After we left, and it was a good show, I can remember Rob saying to me in the parking lot after the show "they're breaking up, they don't like each other up there."

I said "no fucking way! They are on Top of the World (pun intended)." Turns out Rob was right.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Hard to come to grips with the fact that this was 20 years ago !!!
    Wow , time really does fly , and we're ALL a lot older - not just VH ...

Thought Balance was a really good album (great album) with a dark overtone - despite a few upbeat songs . The production was top notch and the tour was a fun one to watch .
    Glad they put out that Toronto Pay Per View from this tour .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Always my favorite Hagar album, and with a few tweaks could have been an all time classic.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I've told this story on here before. I saw them in Roanoke I believe (sorry, all the shows start running into one another as I age), and I went with a guy who played guitar in a little regional club band.

After we left, and it was a good show, I can remember Rob saying to me in the parking lot after the show "they're breaking up, they don't like each other up there."

I said "no fucking way! They are on Top of the World (pun intended)." Turns out Rob was right.
    I honestly thought there were problems right from the start of the promo for Balance. Ed just seemed so different to me, he seemed very dark and brooding and to me that wasn't EVH.

after I saw them in August I thought things were looking up and they looked happy on the PPV but once I heard Humans Being I knew they were not getting along.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 2,850 Times in 1,065 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

After watching some clips from Toronto again I feel the lack of energy, but it's almost entirely made up for in the musicianship. Ed's playing was on fire, Sammy still sounded great and Mike and Al were solid as always. If they could've gotten past Humans Being/BOV1 and continued making music I feel like we could've seen some magic happen.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Always my favorite Hagar album, and with a few tweaks could have been an all time classic.
    I think there is a lot of really, really great stuff on Balance but something about that record just bothers me. I can listen to almost all of the tunes individually but once I sit down and have the CD going they don't seem to fit together.

Seventh Seal is a monster, I have always loved Amsterdam....I know others hate it but I love it. Love Aftershock, Take me Back, don't tell me and I think Not Enough is a great, great piano tune. BF$ is ok...I don't like Feelin except for the solo, it seems forced. CSLY is fine for what it is and what it was intended to be. it really screws up the flow of the record. I don't like any of the instrumental stuff except Doin Time. Strung out is the biggest waste of space ever on any VH recording.

production is great, everyone sounds great, everyone plays and sings great.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Guitar World: Eddie says that the tension was so thick between you two that he warned Bruce Fairbairn not to tell you that he'd come up with a song title and a melody to the record. Also, that whenever he suggested anything to you, you just stopped listening.

Sammy Hagar: I want to set the record straight. Everything that Eddie has said about me is the total opposite of what really happened. Eddie says I wouldn't listen to him, but he just never listened to me. Eddie says I wanted to be a solo artist. No, Eddie wanted to be a solo artist. Bruce Fairbairn pulled me to the side once and said, "Sammy, I don't know what's wrong with Eddie. I don't care if you wrote "Stairway To Heaven," right now Eddie wouldn't want to record it because it's something that you want to do. For some reason, this guy's has it in for you." Now, this is Bruce Fairbairn saying this to me. He felt so sorry for me and the situation I was in, he wouldn't even let Eddie into the same room with me when I was singing. He couldn't get anything done with Eddie hanging around the control room because he was interfering so much. If I would go up on a high note, Eddie would want a low one. That's how petty the situation had become.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

You need to put together the Dave's Dreidel Balance Special Edition:

1. Seventh Seal
    2. Crossing Over
    3. DTMWLCD
    4. Amsterdam
    5. Big Fat Money
    6. Not Enough
    7. Aftershock
    8. Baluchitherium
    9. Take Me Back
    10. Feelin
    11. Humans Being

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Guitar World: Eddie says that the tension was so thick between you two that he warned Bruce Fairbairn not to tell you that he'd come up with a song title and a melody to the record. Also, that whenever he suggested anything to you, you just stopped listening.

Sammy Hagar: I want to set the record straight. Everything that Eddie has said about me is the total opposite of what really happened. Eddie says I wouldn't listen to him, but he just never listened to me. Eddie says I wanted to be a solo artist. No, Eddie wanted to be a solo artist. Bruce Fairbairn pulled me to the side once and said, "Sammy, I don't know what's wrong with Eddie. I don't care if you wrote "Stairway To Heaven," right now Eddie wouldn't want to record it because it's something that you want to do. For some reason, this guy's has it in for you." Now, this is Bruce Fairbairn saying this to me. He felt so sorry for me and the situation I was in, he wouldn't even let Eddie into the same room with me when I was singing. He couldn't get anything done with Eddie hanging around the control room because he was interfering so much. If I would go up on a high note, Eddie would want a low one. That's how petty the situation had become.
    I don't claim to know Ed but what I do know about him......what Sammy is saying sounds like it was possible.

Ed is a strange cat with how he deals with people.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

"Balance" will always be one of my favorite Sammy albums. It's probably their moodiest album since "Fair Warning". I love the guitar tone, and the songs in general. Saw them here in Jax & they didn't move a lot, but they were "on" musically.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:40 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I regard Balance to be their FW of the Sammy era .
    There's quite a few similarities and parallels between the two .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 2,642 Times in 1,324 Posts

I wasn't there, and a lot of people don't like Sammy around here, but the sum of all the input I've had about Eddie makes this totally believable. I've known two girls with some form of borderline personality disorder and narcissism or something, and even trying to be the most rational and diplomatic you can be around them it only makes things worse once they've turned on you. Almost indescribably manipulative and deceitful. Both of them had a trail of people behind them, friends, boyfriends, and family, and they were estranged from all of them. A trail of destruction. They both always called everybody in their past "hateful". I really see Eddie that way to a degree. People can say "Why believe Sammy instead of Eddie?" It's simply because of their individual patterns and ability to communicate. And when Eddie can stare right at the camera and laughably complain about Sammy's work ethic it shows how he just projects his own flaws. I have no doubt that what Sammy said above is true. It just feels like it makes sense.

But as far as the tour, I saw them twice in 1995. Once in San Antonio and later in the fall at Southpark Meadows a little south of Austin. Basically just a big field. The second show was much better for me but that probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was straight in line with the stage whereas in S.A I was way off to the side on Mike's side. It was hard to hear anything clearly. Lots of fun. Honestly can't say I noticed much tension on stage but Eddie was fairly immobile. They played great though. Almost positive Collective Soul opened for them in S.A. and I think there were two opening bands in Austin but I can't remember who.