Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Garbage Man Sentenced To 30 DAYS IN JAIL For Picking Up Trash Too Early

A sanitation worker says he was thrown in jail for picking up trash too early in the morning.

The city of Sandy Springs says he violated an ordinance aimed at keeping workers from waking up residents.

The city solicitor says he's tried everything to get sanitation workers to stop coming to communities before 7 a.m. He says he’s tried fining the companies they work for, but it doesn't work; so now he's decided to haul them off to jail.

“The solicitor said it's automatic jail time. He didn't want to hear nothing I had to say. I said it's my first time,” sanitation worker Kevin McGill told WSB-TV’s Tom Jones.

The Sandy Springs ordinance says sanitation workers must haul trash between the hours of 7 in the morning to 7 in the evening.

McGill was cited for picking up trash just after 5 a.m. one morning. When he went to court, chief prosecutor Bill Riley asked the judge to sentence him to 30 days in jail.

“I was stunned. I didn't know what to think. I was shocked,” McGill said.

Riley doesn't apologize for locking up sanitation workers.

“Fines don't seem to work,” Riley said. "The only thing that seems to stop the activity is actually going to jail.”

Riley says 911 lights up when trash haulers come before 7 a.m.

McGill, who didn't have an attorney with him when he was sentenced, is serving his time on the weekend. His new attorney wonders why he's being punished.

“Give him a warning,” attorney Kimberly Bandoh said. “I mean he's the employee. He's not the employer. Sentencing him to jail is doing what?”

But Riley says he is responsible for his own truck.

“The company doesn't start that truck up. The company doesn't drive that truck down the street,” Riley said.

McGill says he had only been hauling in Sandy Springs three months. He says it was hard being in jail with real criminals.

"I just want this to be over with,” he said. “I'm away from my family, my wife, and she’s got to take care of the two little boys and I have four dogs."

McGill will serve the next 14 weekends in jail. His new attorney has filed a motion to withdraw his plea.

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

This is beyond stupid. If this is Sandy Springs, GA. I grew up in this area. If the neighborhoods just got together and didn't put their trash out until about 7 a.m. on trash day, this problem would solve itself.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

What good comes from putting this man in jail?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    What good comes from putting this man in jail?
    No good comes from it.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PCh5150 View Post
    This is beyond stupid. If this is Sandy Springs, GA. I grew up in this area. If the neighborhoods just got together and didn't put their trash out until about 7 a.m. on trash day, this problem would solve itself.
    no, then it just wouldn't get picked up at all!

but geez, putting the guy in jail? That's insane! Where's a warning at least? They talk about fines - do the records show this guy's been fined? Warned? Anything?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    no, then it just wouldn't get picked up at all!

but geez, putting the guy in jail? That's insane! Where's a warning at least? They talk about fines - do the records show this guy's been fined? Warned? Anything?
    Well I was theorizing that maybe since they wouldn't pick it up the first week, the next week the truck would be overloaded that much faster, necessitating more trips to the dump. This is wasted time and effort for the company. Of course this is a guess and not based on any data. But bottom line, they gave this guy a criminal record for doing his job and interrupting their little fantasy upper middle class suburban world.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

I'd like to think that most places run the way that mine does, you're asked to put your trash out the night before or first thing in the morning. Typically trash collection starts around 7 am - if there's an issue with them starting too early then you take it up with the company. How a driver is put in jail for working too early is just insane. Jails are for people who a threat to society, not for the f-ing garbage man who's starting his shift too early.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Garbage Man Sentenced To 30 DAYS IN JAIL For Picking Up Trash Too Early

A couple things. First, if some knucklehead thinks a trash truck at five am constitutes a 911 worthy emergency, the trash man ain't the guy that needs to go to jail. 2nd, was the guy aware of the penalty? Just saying, if somebody told me I might go to jail for picking up trash before 7, I'd probly wait & get on that truck @ 7. If he had not been warned, cut the guy some slack & make him aware of penalties for future infractions.

Nah, scratch all that. I just realized the paper carrier wakes me up @ 4:30 every single day and I don't even get the paper. Thinking I may light up 911 tomorrow morning & see how it plays out. Stay tuned!
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

While I obviously disagree with this, this is the kind of thing we've been creating. We're a society of so many laws, rules and ordinances that we're all breaking laws every day. And when the punishment doesn't stop the "crime," we make the punishments worse. So, here we are. We're putting eager garbage men in jail.

Now, if the company you've contracted isn't following your requests, you get a new sanitation company. Or if one employee keeps doing this, the company takes care of it because the city can find another sanitation company.

But no, they've made it an ordinance, and now that means the people who break said ordinance or subject to fines and/or jail. There are a couple questions to ask oneself when one wants to outlaw something. The first is obvious--do you want to throw someone in jail for this? The answer to picking up garbage too early should be, "No." That ends this conversation.

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

courts love to throw people in jail in this country

but 30 days? wow. I think jail is for violent crimes and felonies only.

it's just not productive to give a working guy like this 30 days in jail...even if it';s only served on weekends.

all those idiots who called 911 should be very satisfied with themselves.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    courts love to throw people in jail in this country

but 30 days? wow. I think jail is for violent crimes and felonies only.

it's just not productive to give a working guy like this 30 days in jail...even if it';s only served on weekends.

all those idiots who called 911 should be very satisfied with themselves.
    All these idiots should not have their trash picked up for the thirty days. When they call to complain, just tell them "Yeah we had a guy that was picking up your trash, but you had him thrown in jail". Just let it pile up in their driveways.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PCh5150 View Post
    All these idiots should not have their trash picked up for the thirty days. When they call to complain, just tell them "Yeah we had a guy that was picking up your trash, but you had him thrown in jail". Just let it pile up in their driveways.
    Or pick it up and dump it on the judge's lawn.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

Did some digging on this. There absolutely is a code on the books in this area regarding trash pickup between the hours of 7am and 7pm. But also in the code is that they have year-to-year contracts. If this is such a problem, why are they still contracted with the same sanitation company? Besides, wouldn't repetitive code violations be a violation of the contract? I'd assume following the community code would be part of the contract.

Anyway, this guy's sentence was suspended after all the outrage, so he will no longer spend his weekends in prison for the next two months.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Did some digging on this. There absolutely is a code on the books in this area regarding trash pickup between the hours of 7am and 7pm. But also in the code is that they have year-to-year contracts. If this is such a problem, why are they still contracted with the same sanitation company? Besides, wouldn't repetitive code violations be a violation of the contract? I'd assume following the community code would be part of the contract.

Anyway, this guy's sentence was suspended after all the outrage, so he will no longer spend his weekends in prison for the next two months.
    Well, that's good, but he shouldn't have had to consider it for a minute!