The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 11,765 Times in 6,518 Posts

Premium Member

Default ESTABLISHMENT STICKS TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF PARTY

Need any more proof?

Dems vow to protect Boehner from conservative coup

Tea Party Republicans contemplating a bid to oust Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio) shouldn't count on Democrats to help them unseat the Speaker. And without their support, there is no chance to topple Boehner in this Congress.

A number of right-wing Republicans, long wary of Boehner's commitment to GOP efforts attacking President Obama's policy priorities, have openly considered a coup in an attempt to transfer the gavel into more conservative hands. But Democrats from across an ideological spectrum say they'd rather see Boehner remain atop the House than replace him with a more conservative Speaker who would almost certainly be less willing to reach across the aisle in search of compromise. Replacing him with a Tea Party Speaker, they say, would only bring the legislative process — already limping along — to a screeching halt.

“I'd probably vote for Boehner [because] who the hell is going to replace him? [Ted] Yoho?” Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.) said Wednesday, referencing the Florida Tea Party Republican who’s fought Boehner on a host of bipartisan compromise bills.

“In terms of the institution, I would rather have John Boehner as the Speaker than some of these characters who came here thinking that they're going to change the world,” Pascrell added.

Liberal Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) agreed that, for Democrats, replacing Boehner could lead to a worse situation.

“Then we would get Scalise or somebody? Geez, come on,” said Grijalva, who referenced House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.). “We can be suicidal but not stupid.”

Boehner, who has grappled with dissent from the Tea Party wing since he took the Speaker's gavel in 2011, has seen opposition to his reign grow this year, even as he commands the largest GOP majority since the Hoover administration.

That’s led to talk of a new coup, something that is more difficult to pull off after the election of a Speaker on each Congress’s first day of business.

Any lawmaker can file a motion to “vacate” a sitting Speaker, a move that would force a vote of the full House. The effort would almost certainly fail, as the conservatives would need the overwhelming support of Democrats to win a majority. But it would be an embarrassing setback to Boehner and his leadership team, who entered the year hoping their commanding new majority would alleviate some of the whipping problems that had plagued them in the past.

The new push back against Boehner began in the earliest stages of the new Congress when 25 conservatives voted in January to strip him of the Speaker's gavel.

Boehner's troubles have only mounted since then, as conservatives have thwarted a number of his early legislative priorities, including a border security bill, an anti-abortion measure and a proposal to limit the federal government's role in public education — all considered by GOP leaders to be easy-pass bills that would highlight their new power in Obama's final two years in the White House.

More recently, Boehner's decision this week to pass a “clean” bill funding the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has exacerbated conservatives' concerns about his leadership.

As proof of the discontent, 167 Republicans bucked their leadership by opposing the DHS package. Their votes protested Boehner's move to strip out provisions undoing Obama's executive actions shielding millions of immigrants living illegally in the U.S. from deportation.

Rep. Matt Salmon (R-Ariz.) called Boehner's capitulation “a sad day for America.”

“If we aren't going to fight now, when are we going to fight?” he said Tuesday just before the vote.

Every Democrat joined 75 Republicans in passing the bill.

In the midst of that debate, a number of Tea Party Republicans warned that they'd consider an attempt to topple Boehner if he caved to Obama's demand for a clean DHS bill.

“If it happened, conservatives would be outraged,” said one such conservative who voted against Boehner in January. The lawmaker predicted that the coup attempt might not come immediately but warned the Speaker, “It's a long year.”

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), chairman of the conservative Freedom Caucus and a critic of Boehner's legislative moves, said recently that no coup is in the works.

“That's not the point,” Jordan said on CNN's “State of the Union” program. “The point is to do what we told the voters we were going to do and do it in a way that's consistent with the United States Constitution.”

Citing Jordan's comments, top Democrats have punted on the question of whether they would support a coup. Rep. Steny Hoyer (Md.), the Democratic whip, acknowledged that there are “some disgruntled people who are talking about it,” but predicted that no such effort will materialize.

“If Jordan's not talking about — he's the head of the Freedom Caucus — it's not going to happen,” Hoyer said this week.

Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.), the head of the Congressional Black Caucus, suggested the Democratic minority simply has no place deciding the Speakership for the majority.

“If they've got the votes to make it happen, then they should act accordingly. But I would not want Democrats to be a part of that,” Butterfield said. “I would give deference to the choice of the Republicans.”

Still, some Democrats noted the political advantages for their party if the Republican divisions reach the point where Boehner is ousted. The Democrats have almost no shot of winning back the House in 2016 but highlighting the GOP turmoil could help them bite away at the Republicans' majority.

“I think it would pose a real existential dilemma for us,” said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.). “I mean, on the one hand, if you have a chance to take out a Republican Speaker, why wouldn't you do that? On the other hand, if the obvious alternative is a Tea Party Speaker, now you've got to worry not only about your own political situation but frankly about the institution.

“I think that would give very serious pause to the Democrats.”

Other Democrats suggested they would side with Boehner for one simple reason: They're hoping to move bipartisan legislation this Congress and see Boehner as a more moderate leader with a penchant for compromise.

“Personally, I don't want to waste two years,” Rep. Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) said Wednesday. “And I think that the crazy Tea Party type would probably not be willing to work with us on anything.

"My hope is that, what comes out of this is that Boehner realizes that there are some people in his caucus who are unreasonable, and you can never get them to say 'yes' to anything,” McGovern added. “Rather than spending so much time agonizing over how to please them, maybe he just ought to focus on how you build more bipartisan coalitions and actually get some things done.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has declined to weigh in on the conservatives' discontent. Hinting at her own radioactive image in the eyes of Republicans, she vowed not to get involved in the debate.

“I don't have any intention of getting involved in the politics of that Caucus,” she said recently. “They have enough trouble getting along with each other. I don't think I should inject myself into that.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/23...n-coup-attempt
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:00 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Funny. The one thing they'll work together on is protecting they're jobs.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Just reinforces what most informed folks already know. Our leaders all suck each other off for their common good $$$. Like Carlin said.....Its a club and you aint in it!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:59 PM
    Liked 11,765 Times in 6,518 Posts

Premium Member

Dems want to empower Boehner

By Mike Lillis - 03/22/15 06:00 AM EDT

House Democrats fighting for leverage in the GOP Congress are hoping they can empower an unlikely ally: Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio).

Democrats are outnumbered by more than 50 members – and have almost no power to bring bills to the floor.

But they see Boehner as a willing compromiser on must-pass legislation like funding the government and raising the debt ceiling – once the Speaker can convince his troops that the partisan route endorsed by his conservative wing has been denied.

By banding together in veto-sustaining majorities against conservative proposals demanded by Boehner’s right flank, Democrats hope to both sink those GOP measures and grease the skids for more moderate compromises.

“[The Republicans] have a majority party that's deeply divided,” Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), the Democratic whip, said Thursday from his office in the Capitol.

“And … what we've learned is if we stick together – and we have been sticking together, we've been very unified – that it can empower Speaker Boehner at some point in time to say, 'Look, I tried every which way I can think of to accomplish the objectives that our caucus wants to do. But if I can't accomplish those, I will not allow the government to shut down, the debt limit to be not extended, or other things that are harmful to the country,’” Hoyer said.

Those dynamics were on full display in the recent fight over funding for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

House conservatives had insisted that the package include amendments blocking President Obama's executive actions on immigration, and the House passed five such provisions on largely party-line votes.

Senate Democrats, however, blocked the package on four occasions, forcing Senate GOP leaders to pass a clean DHS bill and send it back to the House. With conservatives adamant that the immigration provisions be attached, Boehner tried to buy time with a three-week extension of the agency's funding – a measure that died in a surprise vote when all but 12 Democrats joined those conservatives in opposition.

With the deadline for a partial DHS shutdown fast-approaching, Boehner sat his conference down and explained why caving on immigration was the only way out.

“I am as outraged and frustrated as you at the lawless and unconstitutional actions of this president,” Boehner said just before bringing a long-term DHS funding bill – without the immigration language – to the floor. “I believe this decision – considering where we are – is the right one for this team, and the right one for this country."

The legislation passed 257 to 167, with only 74 Republicans joining Boehner in favor. All the Democrats voted 'yes.'

Democrats hailed Boehner's shift – and are hoping it offers a template for the tough debates to come.

“I think that's the appropriate attitude for him to take,” Hoyer said Thursday. “I hope he continues that.”

There are signs he intends to. After years of Congress's failure to enact a long-term solution to Medicare's perennial problem stabilizing physician payments, Boehner has teamed up this year with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) in search of a fix – an agreement that could arrive within days.

Boehner's decision to reach across the aisle carries no lack of political risk for the Speaker, who is already under fire from conservatives critical that he's not fighting hard enough against Obama's policy agenda. Indeed, 25 Republicans voted in January to strip his Speaker's gavel. And the resistance from the right has persisted since then, forcing GOP leaders to pull a number of their priorities from the floor even as they control the largest Republican majority since the Great Depression.

“I’m heartbroken,” conservative GOP Rep. David Schweikert said of Boehner's strategy in the DHS fight. “There were things we could have done to lay out our story, our argument and our options. … We failed to embrace that opportunity.”

Boehner has brushed off the criticisms, saying they're all part of the messy business of legislating in the “rambunctious” House. He's also offering no apologies for working with Pelosi on Medicare's “doc-fix.”

“There was an opportunity that presented itself to work in a bipartisan way to find the appropriate offsets, spending offsets,” he said Thursday. “The door opened, and I decided to walk in it. As simple as that.”

Pelosi, for her part, says she's “always had a good rapport” with Boehner, and appears only too happy to be working with the Speaker on a Medicare bill, even in the face of pushback from some liberals in her own caucus. 

“I call it the giant kaleidoscope,” she said Thursday. “You never know when you turn that dial who's going to be part of the formula for passing a bill. 

“We're always a resource to each other,” she added, referring to Boehner, “and hopefully, … this will be a good example of how we go forward.”

There will be plenty of opportunities to test the formula.

Aside from an April 1 deadline on the doc-fix, Congress must soon address funding for the Highway Trust Fund, which runs dry in May, and the future of the Import-Export bank, whose charter expires in June. And in the fall lawmakers will again be forced to pass the spending bills that keep the government running, as well as legislation to raise the debt ceiling. 

Boehner has vowed there will be no more government shutdowns or threats of Treasury defaults on his watch – a message echoed by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). And, encouraged by the DHS debate, Democrats seem ready to take the Speaker at his word.

“This is a guy who worked with Teddy Kennedy and George Miller in passing No Child Left Behind,” Hoyer said this week, referring to a landmark education reform law enacted in 2001. “This is not a guy who's been unwilling throughout his career to work across the aisle.”

There are limits, however, to the Democrats' cooperation with Boehner. GOP leaders, for instance, should not expect any Democratic help in passing their 2016 budget package, which limped through the committee process this week.

Pelosi said the Republicans' proposal will “take us back to the failed economic policies under President Bush,” while Hoyer said he expects “no Democrat” will back the package.

“They're going to have to find 218 of their folks,” he said.

The House is expected to vote on the budget bill next week.

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/23...mpower-boehner
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 03.22.15 at 10:48 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen