Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 01:00 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I'd go with her left boob since I like to sleep on that side of the bed and it's closer.
    Oh man ... that's classic XD

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

Top Ten VH songs.... so you're talking about an album's worth of VH songs, and not a CD's worth. Okay, that's real Old School, and I can go there.

• The Full Bug
    • Hear About It Later
    • Romeo Delight
    • Take Your Whiskey Home
    • Bottoms Up
    • D.O.A.
    • Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    • Mean Street
    • Atomic Punk
    • Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last edited by The Rover; 03.06.15 at 12:55 AM.

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 8,712 Times in 4,707 Posts

Premium Member

1. Everybody Wants Some- Al's jungle drums, Ed's whistles, "screams", "talking" sounds and twisting metal noises, and Dave's chimpanzee and Tarzan scream make this the greatest intro of all time. Everything about this song is perfect. Ed's best tone, and one of Dave's best performances. Did I mention the massive jungle drums? This song is the highlight for me at every VH show. I'd actually be sad if they ever stopped playing this live, especially since we didn't get to hear it played for 23 years.

2. Romeo Delight- Possibly Ed's heaviest riff ever. Probably my favorite vocal from Dave and love the way he slides the lyrics over the high hat and bass in between Ed's volume swells during the verses. One of my favorite solos by Ed and the breakdown is hypnotic. Love the absolute chaos that ensues after the breakdown when they come back full force to finish the song off. Another in concert highlight for me always.

3. Loss Of Control- Yes, WACF is my all time favorite album lol. Speed metal before Metallica did it. Just incredible timing and playing off of each other by the Brothers here. Outtal Love Again or HFT usually get the love, but for me, this is Alex at his all time best. Incredible high hat and ride cymbal work, tom fills, double bass, snare rolls...he does it all here. His cowbell/tom fill after the solo is my single all time favorite drum fill by anyone. Some of Ed's most manic, off the wall playing to match his brother. This song shows Ed and Al were capable,at that time, of playing anything as fast and heavy as anyone if they had chosen to go that route with their music. Only Dave could somehow sing something over this, and I know a lot of people hate the vocals, but I love them. They fit the crazy energy of the music. Mike's even higher than normal vocals are tongue firmly in cheek and just another showing of the bands' humor that set them apart from everyone else. It's been said this song was written at the same time as ATBL, and both tunes were written mocking the punk rock scene. Ed and Al pack more musicianship into 2:36 than the entire history of punk rock.

4. Unchained- The greatest guitar riff ever. Period. There will never be a better use of Dropped D tuning. The greatest concert opener that any band will ever have. Hitting the stage running indeed!

5. Mean Street- One of those WTF? moments by Ed on the intro. Ed, Al, and Mike are like the biggest baddest dude rumbling down the block and Dave seems to angrily spit the criminalistic lyrics out to match the violent intensity of the music. Loved that they played HAIL on the last tour but was sad to see it replace this in the set.

6. In A Simple Rhyme- It's a shame the suits at WB never pushed this song as a single. It should've been an AOR radio staple, yet I have NEVER heard it played even once on the radio here in the Pacific Northwest. Terrific accoustic intro by Ed leads to some of his best riffage, great lyrics by Dave, some of Mike's best harmonies, and another standout performance by Al as he's all over his kit on this one. Angelic breakdown that is again taken over by musical chaos. Even though it had more overdubs than its two predecessors, WACF always sounded like the most "live" in the studio albums that VH ever did. I would love to see them play this live once more.

7. Hear About It Later- Probably both my favorite intro and favorite in song solo by the King. Great vocal and serious tone by Dave to match the dramatic music. Always loved Al's cowbell during the solo, only wish he did the double bass during the solo on the album the way he always does in concert. Amazing to see them play this live last tour.

8. Girl Gone Bad- Just a badass heavy tune. Love the tapping intro with Al's cymbals during it. Another one of Al's top five studio performances, just masterful. Something about Dave's "lazy eyes in the summer heat" makes me think of mid 80s Miami Vice-like coolness. Epic solo section and ending. Another amazing surprise to see this brought out on the last tour.

9. As Is- I have to have something from this great comeback album, and this is still my fav off the record. Love how huge Al's drums sound on the intro. Another one of Ed's crazy and busy riffs and only Dave could seamlessly fit in a vocal melody over it to make it sound...classic. Alex is a monster here. The old man is ageless, still my hero, and he's like the Buddy Rich of rock. They need to play this one live atleast once before it's all said and done.

10. Dance The Night Away- It's always so hard to settle on the last choice in any list. It came down to On Fire, RWTD, LUTS, and this. I decided to go with what may be VH's greatest pop rock song ever. But a pop rock song with balls and top notch guitars and drums. Great cowbell/high hat intro from Al gives a latinesque flare and love the Octobans during the solo. The isolated vocals track floated on YT highlights just how magical the VH harmonies were and really how unmatched by any other hard rock band they were in that department. Dave needs to stop messing with melody and just sing it how it is, because it's perfect, and he could easily do it.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

In no order....

Secrets. Just a cool vibe. Diver Down is still the one VH album I listen to most. Don't care if it's got a bunch of covers it's still for me the most "fun" summertime album they ever made. Which leads me to....

Little Guitars. Everybody's A game on display. Always love how they extended it in live shows.

Jump. Pop song perfection. Still enjoy it.

Could This Be Magic. Yup you read that right. This is the kind of thing that separated VH from all the imitators. Being able to pull something like this off. Would love to see Ed & Dave take a break in the middle of a live show and just sit at center stage and play this.

In A Simple Rhyme. Just a roller coaster of a tune.

China Town. Favorite from the "new" VH. Would've loved to heard this done circa 1984.

"5150" definitely the best thing they ever did with Hagar.

Runnin' With The Devil. Mainly for nostalgia sake. First thing I ever heard by CH. borrowed a tape from my brother in 1981 and heard this on my Walkman (not a Sony Walkman a knockoff by Sylvania.) Remember thinking the words were "jumped out Onion Road" yup I thought they were singing about walking down Onion Road.

Drop Dead Legs. Love the guitar in this, love the lyrics. Love when Dave steps aside and we just get Ed and the band playing to fade out. I always felt had Dave not left in 1985 this was what the future of VH would've sounded like. Or at least the next record.

Dance The Night Away. The go to tune for me and my buddies to sing along to at parties back in the day. Usually goofing around for laughs. But damn its a fine piece of pop songwriting.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Last Online

10.21.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

OK, here is a new summary as more of you voted. The new #1 is a surprise to me.

10. Light Up the Sky - 33 points (maybe the band will take a hint and put this in the set list this time?)
    9. Panama - 34 points
    7 (tie). Girl Gone Bad - 35.5 points (perhaps it should be played every night?)
    7 (tie). Hot for Teacher - 35.5 points (1984 on a roll!)
    6. Little Guitars - 38 points
    5. I'm the One - 40.5 points (can't wait to hear that on Tokyo Dome)
    4. Mean Street - 41.5 points
    3. Romeo Delight - 52.5 points (I'm surprised at how many people picked this)
    2. Unchained - 68 points...

and the only Van Hagar song in the top 10:

1. 5150 - 73 points

Other thoughts:

- 5150 got selected by the most posters (10)
    - 5 songs are within two points of 10th place: Hear About It Later; Eruption; Everybody Wants Some; Jump; and Me Wise Magic
    - Every song on Van Halen I got picked by someone - the only album with that distinction
    - 2nd most popular Van Hagar song: Summer Nights
    - More songs on ADKOT got picked (6) than 5150 (5)
    - All three (new) songs on BOV1 got picked
    - Only one vote for a VH III song (Once)

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

10.21.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

My sister just e-mailed me her picks to add to the discussion:

1. Dreams
    2. Dance the Night Away
    3. Can't Stop Loving You
    4. Right Now
    5. Love Walks In
    6. When It's Love
    7. Summer Nights
    8. Feel Your Love Tonight
    9. Little Guitars
    10. Beautiful Girls

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Very cool to see 5150 in the top spot . I love everything about that song !!!

Did you ever play that game where you'd have 3 wishes , and on your last wish , you'd wish for 3 more wishes ? Haha
    This is sort of the same . I could list my favorite 10 VH tunes , and then instantly want another 10 , and so on ...

In a perfectly random order (for now) ;
    1- Panama
    2- ATBL
    3- Runaround
    4- 5150
    5- HAIL
    6- SGMAD
    7- Summer Nights
    8- Cabo Wabo
    9- Girl Gone Bad
    10- House of Pain
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:59 PM
    Liked 1,326 Times in 796 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    In a perfectly random order (for now) ;
    1- Panama
    2- ATBL
    3- Runaround
    4- 5150
    5- HAIL
    6- SGMAD
    7- Summer Nights
    8- Cabo Wabo
    9- Girl Gone Bad
    10- House of Pain
    House of Pain is the one song that I wish I had had room for in my Top 10.

But, of course, my Top 10 from yesterday, *is not* my Top 10 for Today !!

~~8 U.S.C. § 1182(f)~~

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

^^^ Totally understand !

We all go through it . Damn those VH guys for having too many good songs ! LOL
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

10. A.F.U. (Naturally Wired) - My favorite from OU812. I just get "all fired up" (pardon the lyrical pun haha) whenever I hear it.
    9. Jump - The first Van Halen song I remember hearing, so I definitely have a sweet spot for it.
    8. The Full Bug - I just love the song, and I always tend to skip to it before I listen to the rest of Diver Down.
    7. Best of Both Worlds - I feel good when I listen to it. And I have more copies of it than any other Van Halen song (on my old broken ipod, my phone, 5150 CD, LWAN, BOBW CD, Live Right Here Right Now CD, and the cassette copy of 5150 my APUSH teacher gave me last year).
    6. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - It was the first full Van Halen song I learned how to play, and the "hey hey hey" chant at then end gets me every time.
    5. As Is - I had to restart the song the first time I heard the intro, just to hear it again. It's probably my favorite from ADKOT.
    4. Little Guitars - It's somewhat different, imo, and I think the lyrics are great. And I love the actual little guitar Ed played.
    3. Outta Love Again - My favorite from VHII. The solo might be my favorite guitar solo ever (maybe after the Duane Allman slide solo on "Layla").
    2. Humans Being/5150 - Just so much energy in Humans Being, and I love the little scream/"yeah!" by Eddie (I think) at about 4:15 in the song. The vocal effects kinda bring it down though. And 5150 is just too good as far as I'm concerned.
    1. Unchained - Classic VH in a word.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

yeah after my list had posted and it was too late to make edits I couldn't believe I forgot FW. I could've easily added any of these: "Mean Street", "So This Is Love" or "Push Comes To Shove."
    Oh well…. I can live with my decision earlier.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough Hot f. Teacher AFU
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 09:46 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts

1 Good Enough - harmonics, random harmonics, tapped harmonics, tapping outro, awesome vocals
    2 Hot for Teacher - Oh my God! part - tremolo picking a scale, random gliss taps, tremolo picking; also tapping intro
    3 AFU - tapped harmonics intro
    4 House of Pain - interlude before solo, ah-ah ending part
    5 Summer Nights - intro riff and harmonic lick at the very end, awesome scream during the second intro riff
    6 Girl Gone Bad - tapped harmonics intro, vocal effects
    7 Source of Infection - tapping intro
    8 Sucker in a 3 piece - random harmonics, tapped harmonics
    9 Big Fat Money - random harmonics, tapped harmonics
    10 From Afar - stupid simple delay
    "If it sounds good, it is good" - Eddie Van Halen, 1981

"Don't give up, seroiusly. I mean if I can do it, you can do it, seroiusly" - Eddie Van Halen (to young guitarists), 1985

"Death by Hollywood, a little too fabulous for his own good" - Eddie Van Halen, 2005

Jeff Fiorentino - EVH style and tone master

http://jfrocksguitarlessons.com/guitarlessons/vinheut/

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by marcin View Post
    1 Good Enough - harmonics, random harmonics, tapped harmonics, tapping outro, awesome vocals
    2 Hot for Teacher - Oh my God! part - tremolo picking a scale, random gliss taps, tremolo picking; also tapping intro
    3 AFU - tapped harmonics intro
    4 House of Pain - interlude before solo, ah-ah ending part
    5 Summer Nights - intro riff and harmonic lick at the very end, awesome scream during the second intro riff
    6 Girl Gone Bad - tapped harmonics intro, vocal effects
    7 Source of Infection - tapping intro
    8 Sucker in a 3 piece - random harmonics, tapped harmonics
    9 Big Fat Money - random harmonics, tapped harmonics
    10 From Afar - stupid simple delay
    hmm, let me guess.........

you're a drummer?

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

dreams
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts

10. "Pleasure Dome." Love the intro, the 2 solos, the drumming, the bass work, the vocals. Everybody was firing on all cylinders.

9. "I'm The One." Another phenomenal solo, and you gotta love the barbershop quartet breakdown.

8. "Feelin." I think Sammy is at his best when he's intense or impassioned about something, rather than in the party-hearty mode. I am particularly fond of Eddie's guitar sound and inventiveness during this time period.

7. "Jump." The song that got me into Van Halen. I still turn the radio up when it comes on.

6. "Runnin With The Devil." The studio version, not the "Live at Tokyo Dome" one. Just a badass riff for the ages.

5. "D.O.A." I can't sit still for this one. I wish they would break it out, if they tour again.

4. "Mine All Mine." Arguably Sammy's best lyric. And the jazz-tinged solo is thrilling. With so many guitar solos, the listener can anticipate where the guitar solo will go the first time hearing the song. When "King Edward" was at the peak of his powers, this was hardly ever the case.

3. "Blood and Fire." Such a warm sound, and the guitar solo showed that King Edward still has it. On the last tour, I thought it would have been effective if they took an encore break, came back out, Dave said something about releasing a new album decades after people gave up hope that it would ever happen, and then they played this before ending with "Jump." Of course, I also thought on that tour that they should have jettisoned "Ice Cream Man" in favor of "Stay Frosty."

2. "Summer Nights" When my mother heard the guitar intro to this when I was a teenage boy playing the 5150 tape incessantly in the spring of '86, she said, "I actually really like that." Good thing she didn't pay attention to the lyrics. The solo excites me to this day.

1. "Dreams." It's not just my favorite Van Halen song. It's my favorite song. Everything about it is inspirational.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

It's going to change in an hour...
    In no order
    Poundcake-Drill, come on
    5150- Solo
    Mine All Mine - Solo
    Summer Nights - Upbeat party song
    Unchained- hits you in the face
    Hear about it Later- a lot of range, don't ya think?
    Mean Street - tap tap slap tap slap
    You Really Got Me - Proved VH isn't just like any band out there
    Jump - Eddie can write whatever he wants
    Without You - Probably only here because I heard it today. Gary needs representation.