Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default The cure for one of the most anti biotic resistant super bugs? Feces donation!

Whoa, If the doctor came to me and said that I had C-Dif and the treatment was to stick someone else's poop up my pooper, I would say what I have always said to anyone who wanted to listen.....That orifice is EXIT ONLY.

I'm sorry, but our CDC has got to get on the ball in developing new antibiotics and new vaccines, because faced with this choice, I might just choose to roll the dice and hope for the best

C-Diff Kills 15,000 People A Year. Feces Donations May Change That
    Posted: 02/25/2015 7:14 pm EST
    HuffPost

A bacteria that triggers deadly diarrhea and is one of the most common causes of U.S. infectious disease deaths is caused, in part, by antibiotics.

Clostridium difficile, or C-diff, is a toxin-producing microbe that infected almost a half-million Americans in 2011 and was linked to 29,000 deaths, according to a report released Wednesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It said 15,000 deaths were "directly attributable" to C-diff infections. The bacteria is the leading cause of hospital-acquired diarrhea in the industrialized world. In the U.S., the rate of hospital-acquired C-diff infections doubled from 2001 to 2010, to 8.2 infections per 1,000 admissions.

Dr. Fernanda Lessa, a CDC medical epidemiologist and lead author of the report, called the control of C-diff infections a “national priority."

“There is no vaccine for Clostridium difficile, and we know that good antibiotic stewardship is a big step forward in terms of its prevention,” Lessa said in a phone interview with The Huffington Post. "We had a publication last year showing that if hospitals can reduce 30 percent of antibiotic use, rates of C-diff can be reduced by 25 percent.”

The bacteria’s spores make inroads in people who either recently took antibiotics or are currently taking them. Antibiotic use creates an ideal environment for C-diff because the medication indiscriminately wipes out beneficial bacteria that help prevent disease, along with bacteria that are the source of infection.

C-diff spores can survive a wash in hand sanitizer gel and can live for a long time on surfaces, so infection control and personal hygiene for health care workers is key, officials said during a CDC press conference on Wednesday. In fact, almost all of the C-diff infections in 2011 were associated with a stay or visit to a health care facility. That shows the deadly and costly infections are preventable.

C-diff produces a toxin that can cause horrific diarrhea and holes in the large intestine, putting people at risk of sepsis if fecal matter leaks into the body. In the worst cases, patients need to have portions of their colon surgically removed and use a colostomy bag for an extended period while their intestines heal.

The standard treatment for most C-diff infections is, strangely, antibiotics -- which experts at the CDC press conference expressed concern about. Further, antibiotics don’t work for everybody. The report estimated that 83,000 people -- about one in five -- experienced at least one recurrent C-diff infection in 2011, which burdens patients and gives the bug more opportunity to be spread to others.

“What we’ve seen is that for many patients, there can be multiple rounds of antibiotics required to finally suppress the infection and, with luck, finally give the body enough time to go back to normal in terms of the bacteria with the gut,” said Dr. Michael Bell, deputy director of the CDC’s division of Healthcare Quality Promotion. "The challenge that we have is that by giving antibiotics, in many ways we are continuing to disturb the normal bacteria in the bowels, so it’s not a perfect solution.”

Given this treatment difficulty, doctors are increasingly turning to a promising, relatively new treatment -- fecal transplant. It's what it sounds like: an infusion of healthy feces, through an enema or a colonoscopy.

Intestines are teeming with bacteria that help us digest food and eliminate waste. But a healthy balance of gut bacteria can get thrown off, either because of aggressive antibiotic treatment, poor diet that starves helpful bacteria, or an infectious microbe that begins to colonize in the intestines. Fecal transplants deploy a donor's good bacteria to defeat the bacteria wreaking havoc in the recipient’s gut.

While fecal transplants are technically experimental, the treatments have largely been successful to treat recurrent C- diff infections. The Food and Drug Administration doesn’t require doctors to ask permission, in the form of a new drug application, before performing one.

“Originally, this was sort of a last-ditch, desperation-type treatment,” explained Bell. "I think increasingly, we’re seeing it move earlier into the process,” in order to avoid surgery and its complications.

In small but compelling experiments that include a randomized trial, researchers have found that transferring feces from a healthy donor into a C-diff patient is much better at treating recurrent infections than antibiotics -- so much so that the trial was stopped early because it was considered unethical to deny the control group access to fecal transplants.

Still, few hospitals are equipped to screen fecal donors and store or administer feces. The CDC doesn’t track the number of doctors that offer fecal transplants, but a nonprofit organization called the Fecal Transplant Foundation says 92 providers across 32 states perform the transplants. Open Biome, the first stool donor bank, counts more than 200 hospitals and medical centers in its clinical network and says more than 80 percent of Americans live within four hours of a clinic that does the procedure.

Catherine Duff, a C-diff survivor and founder of the Fecal Transplant Foundation, said the CDC press conference was encouraging, but more needs to be done to make fecal transplants accessible. Instead of only allowing fecal transplants for people who have had multiple C-diff infections, Duff argued the treatment should be a first line of defense offered to patients with their first infection.

"If doctors could more easily identify and diagnose C-diff, we would like see fecal transplant offered as one of the first line of treatments,” said Duff in a phone call to HuffPost. "You would guess that the majority of people would choose a fecal transplant” -- partly because it works, but also because it doesn’t destroy the microbiome and leave you vulnerable to future infections.

Duff, who suffered eight bouts of C-diff from 2005 to 2012, had multiple sections of her colon removed because of complications from the infection. She was on the brink of surgically removing the entire colon before she discovered that fecal transplants were a promising therapy.

She had to convince her doctor to look into it. Then, they couldn’t find a provider near where she lived in Carmel, Indiana. After persevering, Duff eventually had two fecal transplants -- once via an enema at home, and once through a colonoscopy. After each transplant, she said she felt instantly better.

“I just became more bothered by the idea this procedure is so simple and can offer relief to so many people, and it remains so inaccessible,” said Duff.

Case studies from the Journal of Medical Case Reports and Open Forum Infectious Diseases point to the challenges of living far from a facility and of working with doctors who have limited experience in providing transplants.

CDC study co-author Dr. L. Clifford McDonald expressed hope about the experimental treatment, if only that it gets patients off the antibiotics that left them vulnerable to infection in the first place.

“Some people do just fine with the antibiotic treatment,” said McDonald during the briefing. “But it is a problem that we’re using an antibiotic to treat a disease that really occurs because someone got an antibiotic in the first place."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

I stopped reading after feces donations.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

College athletes have been taking urine donations for years, it's just the next step.

Maybe if they didn't hand out antibiotics like pez dispensers we wouldn't have this problem.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Fecal matter transplants are hot right now. It sounds like some new-age thing, but it looks like there may be good science behind it. I was sent these two articles a couple of months ago:

Why DIY fecal transplants are a thing

If you have the cash, though, FMT is worth it. The studies that have been done so far are astounding: in one trial of patients suffering from C. difficile infection (a diarrheal disease that can be life-threatening and antibiotic-resistant), an infusion of feces cured 94% of the patients. The usual treatment, an antibiotic called vancomycin, only cured 27%. The trial was stopped early because the difference was so drastic; it was unethical to keep half the patients on antibiotics alone when a better treatment was available. Gastroenterologists agree: FMT is not just effective for C. diff, it’s extremely safe. The American College of Gastroenterology writes in their C. difficile treatment guidelines that “no adverse effects or complications directly attributable to the procedure have yet been described in the literature.”

http://blogs.plos.org/publichealth/2...of-the-reason/

Bacteria from slim people could help treat obesity, study finds

Researchers led by Jeffrey Gordon recruited four pairs of women who were twins. One woman in each pair was obese, but the other had a healthy body weight.

From each woman, the researchers collected faeces which contained a wealth of expelled gut microbes. Through a number of tests, the scientists then investigated what happened when they transplanted these into mice bred to have no gut microbes of their own.

The scientists found that mice stayed slim when they received faecal transplants from slim women, but put on much more fat when the samples came from the obese twin. Tests revealed that one type of bug, called Bacteroides, was more plentiful in slim women and protected the animals from putting on too much fat.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-obesity-study

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

There's several factors at play regarding antibiotics. Certainly over prescribing is way up the list. Also, people not taking the whole round and saving half for next time (yes, people do that) has allowed bugs to come back stronger.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,129 Posts

Premium Member

Antibiotics are indiscriminate in what they target, which is the problem. As we find out more about bacteria, we are realizing that the balance of bacteria in our body effects so much of our health outside whether we have an infection or not. One study showed that kids that were on antibiotics as kids were more likely to be obese. It's the same reason as Uncle Crappy posted (who I think we all expected to be knowledgeable on this subject) about gut bacteria handling the processing of fat.

I've even heard of them coming up with a way to put this stuff in a pill. My guess is if they go down that road, they're really going to need to hire a great marketing agency.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I know something as simple as eating some yogurt after a stomach bug helps me get right again. Gotta be the live active kind though. Not the TCBY kind.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    Fecal matter transplants are hot right now. It sounds like some new-age thing, but it looks like there may be good science behind it. I was sent these two articles a couple of months ago:

Why DIY fecal transplants are a thing

If you have the cash, though, FMT is worth it. The studies that have been done so far are astounding: in one trial of patients suffering from C. difficile infection (a diarrheal disease that can be life-threatening and antibiotic-resistant), an infusion of feces cured 94% of the patients. The usual treatment, an antibiotic called vancomycin, only cured 27%. The trial was stopped early because the difference was so drastic; it was unethical to keep half the patients on antibiotics alone when a better treatment was available. Gastroenterologists agree: FMT is not just effective for C. diff, it’s extremely safe. The American College of Gastroenterology writes in their C. difficile treatment guidelines that “no adverse effects or complications directly attributable to the procedure have yet been described in the literature.”

http://blogs.plos.org/publichealth/2...of-the-reason/

Bacteria from slim people could help treat obesity, study finds

Researchers led by Jeffrey Gordon recruited four pairs of women who were twins. One woman in each pair was obese, but the other had a healthy body weight.

From each woman, the researchers collected faeces which contained a wealth of expelled gut microbes. Through a number of tests, the scientists then investigated what happened when they transplanted these into mice bred to have no gut microbes of their own.

The scientists found that mice stayed slim when they received faecal transplants from slim women, but put on much more fat when the samples came from the obese twin. Tests revealed that one type of bug, called Bacteroides, was more plentiful in slim women and protected the animals from putting on too much fat.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-obesity-study
    How fitting it is to get a comment from you on this subject
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

When I come out with my own line of DIY Fecal transplant kits, I'm going to brand them as "Uncle Crappy's Fecal Kit!"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Antibiotics are indiscriminate in what they target, which is the problem. As we find out more about bacteria, we are realizing that the balance of bacteria in our body effects so much of our health outside whether we have an infection or not. One study showed that kids that were on antibiotics as kids were more likely to be obese. It's the same reason as Uncle Crappy posted (who I think we all expected to be knowledgeable on this subject) about gut bacteria handling the processing of fat.

I've even heard of them coming up with a way to put this stuff in a pill. My guess is if they go down that road, they're really going to need to hire a great marketing agency.
    That would give new meaning to the term "Eat Shit"
    Hedberg

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Pass.

Doc keeps telling me about prostate cancer and early detection and that ain't happening.

This is one of those things that people living in an age of genetic customization will laugh at.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    I stopped reading after feces donations.
    You should have saved the shit you took while posting earlier and donated it, you selfish bastige!

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

That would give new meaning to the term "Eat Shit"
    "Eat shit or Die!"

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

How fitting it is to get a comment from you on this subject
    Gotta keep abreast of advancements in the industry. And I like DD's transplant kit idea. I'd bet my ass that would be a money maker.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

So basically, you shit into a bag, and place it in a box and fedex your deposit to the nearest medical facility that then transports it into a surgery room and stuffs your exit hole with someone else's poop. And, that makes everything roses again...? Got it.

So now we have,
    1. Shit in a box
    2. Dick in a box.

What's next, Van Halen releases a box?

What in hell is going on in society? It's all very confusing.....

HH<-----Van Halen shit in a box, full of unreleased videos and music....yeah, thinking I see the poop transfer as the better option at this point-----------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----