Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Default Disney World's Magic Kingdom first theme park to break $100

Disney raises ticket prices for U.S. theme parks - how far off will $100 a day be for Disneyland?
    Feb. 21, 2015 Updated Feb. 22, 2015 4:49 p.m.
    BY JOSEPH PIMENTEL / STAFF WRITER

... At Walt Disney World, ticket prices broke the $100 mark.

A one-day trip to the Magic Kingdom will now cost visitors $105, up $6. Tickets to one of the other three Florida theme parks – Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios – went from $94 to $97 ...

... An adult one-day ticket to Disneyland or Disney California Adventure will rise from $96 to $99. A one-day park hopper add-on will increase from $54 to $56 ...

... Tickets for children ages 3 to 9 will climb from $90 to $93. A price for a Premium annual pass with parking and no blackout dates will go up 11 percent, from $699 to $779 ...
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/d...yland-day.html

Now, I am an annual passholder at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. According to the counter at Disneyland.com, I have averaged two visits a month to the Resort over the last five years. Over that time, something has become clear. Team Disney Anaheim has a problem every other business in America would love to have: they can't find a price increase people won't pay.

Disneyland Resort exclusively has four annual passes: Premium (365 days, includes parking), Deluxe (315 days), Southern CA (215 days), SoCal Select (170 days). In 2009, when I first purchased an annual pass, the prices were

Disneyland and California Adventure
    1-park, 1-day: $72
    1-day park hopper: $97
    Parking: $14/day
    Premium: $429
    Deluxe: $289
    SoCal: $194
    SoCal Slct: $144
    Annual pass blockout day ticket: $45
    Annual pass parking add-on: $59

Contrast that to today, 5.5 years later:

1-park, 1-day: $99
    1-day park hopper: $155
    Parking: $17/day
    Premium: $779
    Deluxe: $549
    SoCal: Renewals only, no new sales ($409)
    SoCal Slct: $299
    Annual pass blockout day ticket: none
    Annual pass parking add-on: Renewals only, no new sales ($159)

For comparison, here are prices of the other major theme parks in Southern California:

Universal Studios, Hollywod
    1-day pass: $92
    Buy a day, get 2015 free (296 days): $92
    "No blackout" pass (365 days): $139

Knott's Berry Farm
    1-day pass: $39
    Season pass (365 days): $84 (parking + $54.96)

Six Flags Magic Mountain
    1-day pass: $44.99
    Season pass (365 days): $119.99 for 1. $74.99 ea when you buy four (+ $65 ea parking)

Even more staggering, attendance at Disneyland Resort is up, up, up. 2004-2013, up 21% at Disneyland alone, up 30% Disneyland/CA Adventure combined. Last year was a record year for Premium annual pass sales, despite a 65% increase in price, (accounting for inflation). Another price increase is expected in May, 2015, preceding the 60th Anniversary celebration at the Disneyland Resort. Other than a couple weeks here and there, there is no more off-season. Every day is crowded at Disneyland.

Here's the other crazy thing: Disneyland has not opened a new E-ticket attraction inside of Disneyland Park since 1995 with Indiana Jones Adventure. They are far behind Universal, Knott's, and Magic Mountain in that respect.

Yet the people keep storming the gates, not matter what the price. Insane. I am nearly priced out, despite the monthly payments option.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Disney raises ticket prices for U.S. theme parks - how far off will $100 a day be for Disneyland?
    Feb. 21, 2015 Updated Feb. 22, 2015 4:49 p.m.
    BY JOSEPH PIMENTEL / STAFF WRITER

... At Walt Disney World, ticket prices broke the $100 mark.

A one-day trip to the Magic Kingdom will now cost visitors $105, up $6. Tickets to one of the other three Florida theme parks – Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios – went from $94 to $97 ...

... An adult one-day ticket to Disneyland or Disney California Adventure will rise from $96 to $99. A one-day park hopper add-on will increase from $54 to $56 ...

... Tickets for children ages 3 to 9 will climb from $90 to $93. A price for a Premium annual pass with parking and no blackout dates will go up 11 percent, from $699 to $779 ...
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/d...yland-day.html

Now, I am an annual passholder at Disneyland Resort in Anaheim. According to the counter at Disneyland.com, I have averaged two visits a month to the Resort over the last five years. Over that time, something has become clear. Team Disney Anaheim has a problem every other business in America would love to have: they can't find a price increase people won't pay.

Disneyland Resort exclusively has four annual passes: Premium (365 days, includes parking), Deluxe (315 days), Southern CA (215 days), SoCal Select (170 days). In 2009, when I first purchased an annual pass, the prices were

1-park, 1-day: $72
    1-day park hopper: $97
    Parking: $14/day
    Premium: $429
    Deluxe: $289
    SoCal: $194
    SoCal Slct: $144
    Annual pass blockout day ticket: $45
    Annual pass parking add-on: $59

Contrast that to today, 5.5 years later:

1-park, 1-day: $99
    1-day park hopper: $155
    Parking: $17/day
    Premium: $779
    Deluxe: $549
    SoCal: Renewals only, no new sales ($409)
    SoCal Slct: $299
    Annual pass blockout day ticket: none
    Annual pass parking add-on: Renewals only, no new sales ($159)

For comparison, here are prices of the other major theme parks in Southern California:

Universal Studios, Hollywod
    1-day pass: $92
    Buy a day, get 2015 free (296 days): $92
    "No blackout" pass (365 days): $139

Knott's Berry Farm
    1-day pass: $39
    Season pass (365 days): $84 (parking + $54.96)

Six Flags Magic Mountain
    1-day pass: $44.99
    Season pass (365 days): $119.99 for 1. $74.99 ea when you buy four (+ $65 ea parking)

Even more staggering, attendance at Disneyland Resort is up, up, up. 2004-2013, up 21% at Disneyland alone, up 30% Disneyland/CA Adventure combined. Last year was a record year for Premium annual pass sales, despite a 65% increase in price, (accounting for inflation). Another price increase is expected in May, 2015, preceding the 60th Anniversary celebration at the Disneyland Resort. Other than a couple weeks here and there, there is no more off-season. Every day is crowded at Disneyland.

Here's the other crazy thing: Disneyland has not opened a new E-ticket attraction inside of Disneyland Park since 1995 with Indiana Jones Adventure. They are far behind Universal, Knott's, and Magic Mountain in that respect.

Yet the people keep storming the gates, not matter what the price. Insane. I am nearly priced out, despite the monthly payments option.
    Disney has done a remarkable job with marketing to the point that to many parents, taking their kids to Disneyland or Disney World is a right of passage. It isn't a question of IF families go to Disney, it's a question of WHEN and possibly HOW OFTEN.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Disney has done a remarkable job with marketing to the point that to many parents, taking their kids to Disneyland or Disney World is a right of passage. It isn't a question of IF families go to Disney, it's a question of WHEN and possibly HOW OFTEN.
    There is a Theme Park equivalent to this board, mostly about Disney, though, and the way Sam and Dave are discussed here, price vs value is discussed there. LOTS of people angry that over the last 5, 6 years they've been priced out.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

It's a good thing I never liked my kids.

Fuck. That. Noise.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

I love taking the kids to Disney, if planned out you can make it pretty reasonable. If you stay on site and go during their peak season, you are going to get slammed.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Is Knott's Berry still awesome? I haven't been there since the early 80s. Liked it much better than Disneyland.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:44 PM
    Liked 7,867 Times in 4,595 Posts

Premium Member

I'll pay Disney's price. Gladly.

It's the only place in this world that makes me truly giddy. Childlike excitement.

Last Online

Premium Member

The problem that is starting to emerge is that the "peak season" is something of the past. The first dramatic shift is that peak season is now the week before Christmas through the first weekend of January. During that time, Disneyland will hit capacity a number of times. Disneyland management will not let the Disneyland hit 52,000 people. You are redirected to California Adventure or you are SOL.

A typical busy day around Christmas, the Resort will see 105,000 people. By contrast, when Carsland opened in California Adventure, on a typical busy July Saturday, the Resort saw 75,000 people total. And that feels SUPER crowded. Christmas season is insane.

The only two real "off seasons" now are from the Monday after the first weekend in January through President's Day. The other is the two weeks after Labor Day. But even on Monday, January 5, 2015, the first day after Christmas (And a weekday), the Resort only saw relief to 91,000--more than half were annual pass holders blocked out during Christmas.

If you'd gone in late January, you'd have seen light crowds, but also a light amount of rides. Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, Soarin' Over California, World of Color, Grizzly River Run, and three restaurants all would have been closed. Because those couple weeks in winter and late summer are when they can do refurbishments. So you might see light crowds, but there is a lot less to see at the park. Many of those are still closed, plus now Luigi's Flying Tires is being removed entirely.

If you go the two weeks after Labor Day, Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain will be closed for sure, along with any other refurbishments, because they have special Halloween layovers that take time to prepare (Nightmare Before Christmas and Ghost Galaxy, respectively). And the Halloween they do now means part of September, part of November, and all of October are crazy busy. That's also when a whole chunk of Utah comes to the parks because schools close for a week, and Gay Days occurs in Oct. too.

So you can go in light crowds about a month and a half total, spread out during the year. But lots of rides will be closed. And it costs the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Is Knott's Berry still awesome? I haven't been there since the early 80s. Liked it much better than Disneyland.
    It's changed a lot, but people still do go. It's a bargain price, especially against Disney, so many people just go there.

They haven't quite "got" how to do theme parks like Disney has, and like Universal has discovered. Harry Potter is coming to Universal HOllywood next year, and it's truly the first Disney-type attraction another theme park has done.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 02.23.15 at 03:05 PM.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I used to go to Disneyworld in Orlando every fall, at christmas and again at spring break....the peakest peak times as I was there visiting family on the holidays

and never mind the traffic and the crowds and every other inconvenience. I loved the place.

I gladly paid the price, but then again, I was only paying for myself and one or two kids. A family of four traveling and staying over at a hotel, with tickets, lodging, food and gas is going to spend $1000 for one day there

but it is a memory of a lifetime and you can't put a price on that

I love Disney. and although I love Universal as well, there is something about Disney that just makes my heart leap.

Kind of sad that the prices have made it so that many families will never be able to give their children that same experience.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I used to go to Disneyworld in Orlando every fall, at christmas and again at spring break....the peakest peak times as I was there visiting family on the holidays
    That's insane. I am so sorry for you. They have actually turned people away because they hit max capacity around New Years.

Best time is right after Labor Day. In 1 hour I was able to do the Hollywood Tower of Terror 6 times. It's so much fun when that place is empty.

Last Online

Premium Member

That's insane. I am so sorry for you. They have actually turned people away because they hit max capacity around New Years.

Best time is right after Labor Day. In 1 hour I was able to do the Hollywood Tower of Terror 6 times. It's so much fun when that place is empty.
    That's less and less the case in Anaheim. The park is so dependent upon locals, the Annual Pass system is so vast, and doing away with the idea of an off-season has put major stress on the park. But the worst times to go are Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons. That's when local APers flood the parks.

Counter-intuitively, during summer, usually the best days to go are Saturdays, when three of the four passes are blocked.

Over the course of time that annual pass prices roughly doubled--the prices I pointed out above, the amount of annual pass holders also doubled. But worse, the ridership per car for each passholder vehicle dropped from four to two. So on expected buys days, Disney employees (cast members) must park at Anaheim Stadium (home of the LA Angels) or the Honda Center (home of the Anaheim Ducks) and get bused in. They must arrive an hour early and will get to their car an hour late, unpaid.

It's a big cluster there. Now, plans are far ahead, though not in stone, to turn Big Thunder Ranch, an area behind BTR, and Toontown into a Star Wars Land. There is also a Marvel-themed roller coaster far ahead in planning for California Adventure. More space, more queue space, more people on a ride, the less crowded it feels.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,695 Times in 3,715 Posts

we're planning a trip there next year and between the 5 of us it'll be in 5 figures to pay for it. Disney is a special place and they can really go as high as they want (within reason) on prices.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    and the Disney Junior network is the greatest form of adverstising ever.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    we're planning a trip there next year and between the 5 of us it'll be in 5 figures to pay for it. Disney is a special place and they can really go as high as they want (within reason) on prices.
    True...and I have no problems with charging what people will pay and making money.

However there are points during the year where the heat is punishing and relentless and bottled water is still 3xs what it runs you anywhere else.

I think they should just charge a price to cover costs on that one. Especially in the Animal park where many of the lines are not shaded or air conditioned.

It's not an issue when you go during the off season because you can just fill up at a water fountain but when that place is packed you're screwed. You would wind up waiting for a fountain while the sun pounds down on you. It's not cool watching elderly grandparents and kids panting waiting for someone to come back with water for them.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

True...and I have no problems with charging what people will pay and making money.

However there are points during the year where the heat is punishing and relentless and bottled water is still 3xs what it runs you anywhere else.

I think they should just charge a price to cover costs on that one. Especially in the Animal park where many of the lines are not shaded or air conditioned.

It's not an issue when you go during the off season because you can just fill up at a water fountain but when that place is packed you're screwed. You would wind up waiting for a fountain while the sun pounds down on you. It's not cool watching elderly grandparents and kids panting waiting for someone to come back with water for them.
    yup - we're going to be there in the middle of the summer so i'll be cursing water prices i'm sure.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post: