Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Default Pre first album EVH Eruption tabs ?

Two of my favorite bootleg versions of Eruption , were from the Golden West Ballroom 1976 , and the Whiskey New Year's Eve 1977/8 .

The Golden West version is absolutely amazing . Ed plays a ton of neat lines that sound killer . Lots of his trademark licks , as well as a few that haven't been heard before or since . All of this with NO TAPPING ...

The whole solo blows my mind to this day . Has anyone tackled this version and tabbed it out ? Certain parts are familiar of course , yet some of those 'outside' licks would be cool to see in print . Just to have yet another thing by Ed that I can't play ! LOL

Seriously though , anyone got tabs for that ? If not , does anyone want to step up and try it ?
    Thanks in advance , guys
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Wow, I haven't heard this.

Anywhere where I can listen to this solo?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Man I know I would enjoy figuring these out and writing out the TAB for it...but I am WAY busy with the baby, my wife and work. I just don't have the time to do it. But I will figure out at least one or both of these at some point, but I can't say when...

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by James the 2nd View Post
    Wow, I haven't heard this.

Anywhere where I can listen to this solo?
    The two different shows that Robbie is talking about are on YouTube.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 916 Times in 468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Man I know I would enjoy figuring these out and writing out the TAB for it...but I am WAY busy with the baby, my wife and work. I just don't have the time to do it. But I will figure out at least one or both of these at some point, but I can't say when...
    Didn't you TAB out something from the Live Without A Net concert? I can't remember if it was Ed's solo or the slow solo in 5150, but I think it was Ed's main solo.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I know you have your hands full right now , but I truly look forward to your tabs of the 1976 Goldenwest Ballroom solo !!!

It's got some really neat stuff . Your past transcriptions have been spot on , bro .
    We'll still be here , so go at your own pace and leisure . While I'm excited to see what you come up with and to tackle learning certain parts of it , you have a much more important task - new daddy duties !!!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    Didn't you TAB out something from the Live Without A Net concert? I can't remember if it was Ed's solo or the slow solo in 5150, but I think it was Ed's main solo.
    Yes...I have posted my TAB of Ed's entire guitar solo from 'Live Without A Net' in a thread here and shared it with some folks through e-mail.

Robbie is right, there are a couple of licks in the early solos that aren't present in later solos...It will be good fun to figure them out...but Jeez, tough to find the time with the baby!

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Only posting this because I see you're on here this morning, garbeaj...

Any more thought to tabbing out the 1976 GoldenWest Ballroom version of "Eruption?" I'd still (at your convenience) love to see some of those lines spelled out for learning and practice!
    One of my other favorite EVH tribute guitarists, Al Estrada, has been great at playing versions of live EVH stuff from the early days, as opposed to the strict recorded ditties.

I've commented on some of his YT videos before, but have never asked him if he's done that^^^ particular solo.
    Cheers

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The Golden West solo is probably my favorite. Tons of legato playing, and no falling back on tapping or harmonic squeals as a crutch.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

The legato noodling at 1:14 and again around 1:48 are types of lines I like hearing from Eddie. They appear as short bits & pieces in songs throughout the first few albums, scattered, and separated.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
    The legato noodling at 1:14 and again around 1:48 are types of lines I like hearing from Eddie. They appear as short bits & pieces in songs throughout the first few albums, scattered, and separated.

Agreed!
    This is one of my favorite early versions of Ed's showcase solo. Love the angular runs, the legato, and the wide stretch licks. It's all played with a great attack and killer rock feel.

Many of the patterns are somewhat familiar to EVH fans, yet I still dig how he improvs all of them together.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 256 Times in 140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post

Any more thought to tabbing out the 1976 GoldenWest Ballroom version of "Eruption?" I'd still love to see some of those lines spelled out for learning and practice!
    I'm giving it some serious thought. Not sure if my tab writing skills could produce a coherent and correct version from a theoretical standpoint though. I might have to do a video tutorial as well just to accurately convey the way it's SUPPOSED to be played because I'm not sure I could notate it correctly on paper.

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RogueNT View Post
    I'm giving it some serious thought. Not sure if my tab writing skills could produce a coherent and correct version from a theoretical standpoint though. I might have to do a video tutorial as well just to accurately convey the way it's SUPPOSED to be played because I'm not sure I could notate it correctly on paper.
    That "sounds" amazing!!!

A lot of us, I'm sure, would be really grateful to you for the effort and expertise...

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:33 AM
    Liked 256 Times in 140 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    That "sounds" amazing!!!

A lot of us, I'm sure, would be really grateful to you for the effort and expertise...
    Ahhhh...what the hell...let's see what happens! Hahahaha.... I'm kinda bored tonight anyway!