12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,777 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Default Feds want to tax dessert and keep track of your diet

Feds: America Should Adopt ‘Plant-Based’ Diet

AP

BY: Elizabeth Harrington Follow
    February 20, 2015 5:00 am

The federal committee responsible for nutrition guidelines is calling for the adoption of “plant-based” diets, taxes on dessert, trained obesity “interventionists” at worksites, and electronic monitoring of how long Americans sit in front of the television.

The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) released its far-reaching 571-page report of recommendations to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Thursday, which detailed its plans to “transform the food system.”

The report is open for public comment for 45 days, and will be used as the basis by the government agencies to develop the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. The guidelines are used as the basis for government food assistance programs, nutrition education efforts, and for making “decisions about national health objectives.”

DGAC proposed a variety of solutions to address obesity, and its promotion of what it calls the “culture of health.”

“The persistent high levels of overweight and obesity require urgent population- and individual-level strategies across multiple settings, including health care, communities, schools, worksites, and families,” they said.

In response, DGAC called for diet and weight management interventions by “trained interventionists” in healthcare settings, community locations, and worksites.

“Government at local, state, and national levels, the health care system, schools, worksites, community organizations, businesses, and the food industry all have critical roles in developing creative and effective solutions,” they said.

DGAC also called for policy interventions to “reduce unhealthy options,” limit access to high calorie foods in public buildings, “limit the exposure” of advertisements for junk food, a soda tax, and taxing high sugar and salt items and dessert.

“Align nutritional and agricultural policies with Dietary Guidelines recommendations and make broad policy changes to transform the food system so as to promote population health, including the use of economic and taxing policies to encourage the production and consumption of healthy foods and to reduce unhealthy foods,” its report read.

“For example, earmark tax revenues from sugar-sweetened beverages, snack foods and desserts high in calories, added sugars, or sodium, and other less healthy foods for nutrition education initiatives and obesity prevention programs.”

The amount of sedentary time Americans spend in front of computers and TV sets is also a concern to the federal panel.

They recommended “coaching or counseling sessions,” “peer-based social support,” and “electronic tracking and monitoring of the use of screen-based technologies” as a way to limit screen time.

The screen-time recommendations came from The Community Guide, a group affiliated with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which reviewed studies that used an “electronic monitoring device to limit screen time” of teenagers.

As expected, the committee recommended that Americans move toward “plant-based” diets, after months of discussions in meetings regarding environmentalism and food policy.

DGAC said its recommendations to eat less meat are intended to “maximize environmental sustainability” out of concerns for climate change.

“The major findings regarding sustainable diets were that a diet higher in plant-based foods, such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds, and lower in calories and animal-based foods is more health promoting and is associated with less environmental impact than is the current U.S. diet,” DGAC said.

DGAC recommended Mediterranean-style and vegetarian diets as the best options. Vegan, lacto-ovo vegetarian, pesco-vegetarian, and Mediterranean diets are the most environmentally friendly, with the least greenhouse gas emissions, it said.

“All of these dietary patterns are aligned with lower environmental impacts and provide options that can be adopted by the U.S. population,” the report said. “Current evidence shows that the average U.S. diet has a larger environmental impact in terms of increased greenhouse gas emissions, land use, water use, and energy use, compared to the above dietary patterns. This is because the current U.S. population intake of animal-based foods is higher and plant-based foods are lower, than proposed in these three dietary patterns.”

The report added, “no food groups need to be eliminated completely to improve sustainability outcomes over the current status.”

The committee also said that “altering individual and population dietary choices and patterns” would be necessary to meet its sustainability goals, as well as policy changes.

“New well-coordinated policies that include, but are not limited to, agriculture, economics, transportation, energy, water use, and dietary guidance need to be developed,” DGAC said. “Behaviors of all participants in the food system are central to creating and supporting sustainable diets.”

The report did drop its recommendation to limit cholesterol intake to no more than 300 milligrams per day, after warning of its dangers for nearly 40 years. The panel also signed off on three to five cups of coffee a day, saying moderate caffeine consumption can reduce the risks of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.

DGAC concluded that in order to achieve its goal of a population-wide “culture of health,” personal health must become a “human right.”

“In such a culture, preventing diet- and physical activity-related diseases and health problems would be much more highly valued, the resources and services needed to achieve and maintain health would become a realized human right across all population strata, the needs and preferences of the individual would be seriously considered, and individuals and their families/households would be actively engaged in promoting their personal health and managing their preventive health services and activities,” they said.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/feds-am...nt-based-diet/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Or...you could just take accountability for your own health.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Another example of this fascist pussy obummer and his ilk.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

My diet is already plant-based: wherever I decide to plant my ass is where I eat.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

I don't agree with the Feds doing it, but as a society, we need to step away from the amount of meat we eat.

A meat based diet is an extremely inefficient way of getting your calories.

Basically, we are converting the energy of the sun into energy for our bodies when we eat, it just depends on whether we are getting it directly from plants, or we are getting it from the animals we eat who got it from the plants originally.

That been said, the animals sure do taste better.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Another example of this fascist pussy obummer and his ilk.
    That statement is conservative knee-jerk reactionism at its worst.

They're just setting up guidelines and wanting to tax things that are unhealthy for us just like they do with cigarettes and alcohol, etc. I think it's about time we started putting sugar in that list since what the food industry is doing these days by putting sugar into everything to make humans crave it and buy more of it is wrong. You do know that sugar is a natural way of letting humans know that something was safe to eat? That's the difference between sweet vs. bitter and sour. By putting it into everything — which the food industry does even if their product doesn't need it — only causes more addictions to unhealthy food. And, yes, sugar is an addictive chemical and it's about time we started treating it as such. And the only way to do it is to drive up the cost of it through taxes so companies might stop using so much of it. The enemy isn't "fascist pussy obummer and his ilk", it's the food industry.

What's happening here is the government isn't going to stop you from choosing unhealthy food, it's just that you're going to have to pay more for it. The problem right now is that unhealthy food is cheap and healthy food is expensive and that's what drives the food industry to make more garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't agree with the Feds doing it, but as a society, we need to step away from the amount of meat we eat.

A meat based diet is an extremely inefficient way of getting your calories.

Basically, we are converting the energy of the sun into energy for our bodies when we eat, it just depends on whether we are getting it directly from plants, or we are getting it from the animals we eat who got it from the plants originally.

That been said, the animals sure do taste better.
    We've also discovered that a meat-based diet as we humans mass produce it is also bad for the environment and the animals in a myriad of ways.

But, yes, meat sure does taste good! While I know it would be healthier for me to abstain from it and find protein elsewhere, I'm not sure I could do it by myself with my own free will. That doesn't mean I want my diet to be controlled by the government, I'm just saying meat tastes real good and I like it!

And before I get hammered for being a tree-hugging liberal, this is the way I look at environmentalism:

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Guys, the day I read the SCOTUS Affordable Care Act decision, I agreed with the few minor voices who were warning that it could all be over. Congress has the power to make you do something as long as the penalty for non-compliance is a tax. Justice Scalia asked in arguments if that means the government could make you buy broccoli, and the government's answer was yes, of course. Now, as a way of making the left realize what a fundamental shift this is, I have come up with a way the right could use that power--making people buy guns--but here now is a real world example.

You add that taxpayers pay the bill for ER visits so we're all sort of financially responsible for others in weird, spread out ways, and the situation is there for us to start telling other people how to live their lives.

So we can add sin taxes and things like that, and that's the next step. The step after that, set up by the ACA decision, is forcing you to buy healthy food and a gym membership (or equipment) or face a fine greater than the cost of doing so. In other words, the government has the power now to pretty much force you to live the life they want you to live or at least make it very expensive not to.

As a classical liberal, I believe in the ultimate right of owning one's own body and one decides what goes into it as long as it doesn't hurt someone else. If I want to eat meat, I can. If I want a 17 ounce soda, I can. If I want to drink alcohol, I can. If I want to do blow, I can, and if I want to be a vegetarian, I can. But society doesn't believe in this principle, so there's not much I can do with it. To me, freedom means the freedom to make bad decisions.

Anyway, the anti-freedom movement ought to think long and hard how they want this handled. When you tax things or take them away, if there is demand, there is a black market. Just look at cigarettes in New York. So there can be large unintended consequences here, not that this stops us in other areas.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    That statement is conservative knee-jerk reactionism at its worst.

They're just setting up guidelines and wanting to tax things that are unhealthy for us just like they do with cigarettes and alcohol, etc. I think it's about time we started putting sugar in that list since what the food industry is doing these days by putting sugar into everything to make humans crave it and buy more of it is wrong. You do know that sugar is a natural way of letting humans know that something was safe to eat? That's the difference between sweet vs. bitter and sour. By putting it into everything — which the food industry does even if their product doesn't need it — only causes more addictions to unhealthy food. And, yes, sugar is an addictive chemical and it's about time we started treating it as such. And the only way to do it is to drive up the cost of it through taxes so companies might stop using so much of it. The enemy isn't "fascist pussy obummer and his ilk", it's the food industry.

What's happening here is the government isn't going to stop you from choosing unhealthy food, it's just that you're going to have to pay more for it. The problem right now is that unhealthy food is cheap and healthy food is expensive and that's what drives the food industry to make more garbage.

We've also discovered that a meat-based diet as we humans mass produce it is also bad for the environment and the animals in a myriad of ways.

But, yes, meat sure does taste good! While I know it would be healthier for me to abstain from it and find protein elsewhere, I'm not sure I could do it by myself with my own free will. That doesn't mean I want my diet to be controlled by the government, I'm just saying meat tastes real good and I like it!

And before I get hammered for being a tree-hugging liberal, this is the way I look at environmentalism:

It's just to get more money. A government that takes more of peoples money is what progressives love the best.

Live how we say you should live or pay the penalty (we take more of your money).

Institutions with power and influence (not so surprisingly) want more power, influence and control. And that is what this is really about.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 02.21.15 at 11:23 AM.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    It's just to get more money. A government that takes more of peoples money is what progressives love the best.

Live how we say you should live or pay the penalty (we take more of your money).
    It will work like the gas tax. The gas tax was argued for as a way to get people to purchase less gas. When that worked, they now want to increase the gas tax. When people started biking and walking to work in LA, they increased patrols on jaywalking.

So this, like everything else, will increase as Americans change their habits. Because while I explain above, the government can pretty much control us however they want either by taxing us into a preferred decision, either directly or through the Affordable Care Act precedent, the government will come to rely on that income. When our behavior changes, the tax will need to go up or something else will need to be taxed.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    So we can add sin taxes and things like that, and that's the next step. The step after that, set up by the ACA decision, is forcing you to buy healthy food and a gym membership (or equipment) or face a fine greater than the cost of doing so. In other words, the government has the power now to pretty much force you to live the life they want you to live or at least make it very expensive not to.
    Yep. Of course they tell you that it's for your own good. That want to try and justify their power grabs. That's the natural thing to tell people.... That they know what is good for them. That's about all the Federal government is good for. Grabbing more power and screwing people over.

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) released its far-reaching 571-page report of recommendations to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Thursday, which detailed its plans to “transform the food system.”

They should be hung.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    It will work like the gas tax. The gas tax was argued for as a way to get people to purchase less gas. When that worked, they now want to increase the gas tax. When people started biking and walking to work in LA, they increased patrols on jaywalking.

So this, like everything else, will increase as Americans change their habits. Because while I explain above, the government can pretty much control us however they want either by taxing us into a preferred decision, either directly or through the Affordable Care Act precedent, the government will come to rely on that income. When our behavior changes, the tax will need to go up or something else will need to be taxed.
    They can have their "equality" if they make everyone poor. Which is what they want.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

The people that want this are liberals and it's why I hate their guts. I would let these kind of people die in a burning car before I would rescue them. They're not really human beings.
    Last edited by rocknblues81; 02.21.15 at 11:52 AM.

Last Online

Premium Member

They aren't the side of choice yet they've masterfully branded themselves as such. I don't wish death on anyone. I just wish fewer people put their head in the sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Also, are eggs good or bad again? And haven't the Feds recommended less meat and dairy and more carbs since 1980 and obesity has exploded...? But carbs are bad. Or are they good? Haven't we figured out cholesterol problems are mostly hereditary, yet they're decreasing their recommendation for intake. Or did I read that wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk