Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Psst. What does a yellow light mean?

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Slow down .....

GET READY...
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

my issue down here is getting people to remember what a green light means. Light turns green - first car rolls, second car rolls, third car rolls, etc.

shouldn't be enough space to park the space shuttle between each car! Especially when the light is only going to last 15 seconds.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    my issue down here is getting people to remember what a green light means. Light turns green - first car rolls, second car rolls, third car rolls, etc.

shouldn't be enough space to park the space shuttle between each car! Especially when the light is only going to last 15 seconds.
    Blacks and illegals don't wanna scratch their G- rides !!!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:12 AM
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

Doesn't it technically mean "clear the intersection"? I feel like I'm the only one left who waits to be sure I can cross thru before I actually enter it. You know, light's still red, but the traffic on the other side is stopped, so I wait to enter the intersection until I know I can cross all the way thru while it's still green. Annoying to have your light turn green and the intersection is blocked with cross-traffic. The rule isn't get into the intersection while the light is green, right? Don't we have to make it thru before it's red?
    Kevin

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Man View Post
    Doesn't it technically mean "clear the intersection"? I feel like I'm the only one left who waits to be sure I can cross thru before I actually enter it. You know, light's still red, but the traffic on the other side is stopped, so I wait to enter the intersection until I know I can cross all the way thru while it's still green. Annoying to have your light turn green and the intersection is blocked with cross-traffic. The rule isn't get into the intersection while the light is green, right? Don't we have to make it thru before it's red?
    Most modern traffic lights have a delay after going red before the opposing direction light turns green. This is to allow any traffic that was in the intersection when the light started changing to clear the intersection. If the light is green when you enter the intersection, or even switches from green to yellow as you are entering, you should have time to get through before it turns red. Unless you drive like Grandma Moses. Or one of those idiots that see the light has been yellow a while and tries to beat it anyway.

Note your mileage may vary, some places have a law against entering the intersection if the light is already yellow as you approach and some do not.

If traffic is backed up where you will not be able to clear the intersection, you should not enter it, no matter the color of the light. Most places it is against the law to block the intersection. Even though idiots do it all the time.
    Last edited by wrr20891; 02.19.15 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Dang spelling, stupid computer.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Dude, you are living in the 1950s. Its now first come first serve in the new world of illegal drivers.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 11,605 Times in 4,948 Posts

Default Psst. What does a yellow light mean?

Green means "go." Yellow means "go faster."
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    Slow down .....

GET READY...
    What... does... a... y e l l o w... l i g h t... m e a n ?

13. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

This is a classic scene. So funny. Studies show if yellow lights were extended, you'd have fewer accidents. But running red lights is revenue, so they don't do that. Yet another reason why traffic laws are about revenue, not saving lives.

So I live in an area of SoCal that has a lot of commuters. MY area is getting bigger, and there is less and less of a reason to travel 45 minutes for shopping or entertainment, but to visit family/friends, to go to Disneyland (with our annual passes), or to go to certain stores, it's necessary. I also commuted 45 minutes while finishing college. So I have spent my fair share of time on Interstate 15 and in the Cajon Pass.

The single biggest issue I have with traffic is people camping out in the number 1 lane when traffic would move MUCH smoother if it was used as it is intended, for passing only. This is compounded by a big rig passing a big rig, which is passing another big rig. Everyone has to put their brakes on. In other words, there are big rigs in the slow lane and the number 3 lane. Big rig in the slow lane pulls out to pass another big rig in the slow lane, going roughly .08 mph faster than the one he or she is passing. Then a big rig behind that one in the number 3 lane decides to do the same thing, and passes that one, barely going faster in the number 2 lane.

What in the fucking fuck, people? Big rigs, stop taking up all the lanes, passing another big rig over a 30 mile stretch. Everyone else, don't sit in the fast lane going the same speed or slow than the other lanes. Use it for passing.

Finally, stop sitting in my blind spot like we're in some sort of blue angel formation! If you're going to go the exact same speed as I am, do it where I can see you, not in the one freaking spot I can't.

Okay, rant over.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

The answer is simple: STOP. According to the law, every driver has to stop at a yellow light unless he or she is too close to the intersection to stop safely. So, how do you define “too close” to the intersection?

The point of no return

One rule of thumb is that if you are 100 feet or less from the intersection, you have passed the “point of no return” and cannot stop safely before the intersection. Therefore, it is best to continue at your current speed through the intersection, but be cautious as you pass through.

Another rule of thumb involves a little math as well as an understanding of braking. Let’s explore the following situation: You’re driving at 30mph and the traffic light turns yellow. You’re approximately 125 feet from the intersection. Have you reached the point of no return?

Here comes the math: It’s going to take you (a seasoned driver) approximately 1.5 seconds to recognize the need to brake and to begin applying the brake. Your car will travel 66 feet during those 1.5 seconds. Once the brake is applied, it will take your car another 43 feet to stop. Therefore, your total stopping distance is 109 feet. Therefore, you have not yet reached the point of no return and you should stop.

Obviously, you can’t perform that kind of math while driving. So, as you approach an intersection, you need to pick out a reference point along the side of the road that will represent the point of no return. So, if the traffic light turns yellow, you can instantly make the decision to continue or to stop.

Be aware of cars behind you

As a good driver, you should always know if you’re being tailgated. As you approach an intersection, use your brakes to get a tailgater to back off a little bit. You don’t want them to slam into you if you must stop quickly at a yellow light.

The higher the speed limit, the longer the yellow light

Based upon the math we were doing earlier, it would make sense for yellow lights to last longer if the posted speed limits are higher. A common rule of thumb is that for every 10 miles per hour of speed, the yellow light will last 1 second longer. However, don’t count on this. You should always err on the side of safety. If you run a red light, a police officer is not going to care that you crossed the point of no return. His response will be that you clearly need to work on determining its location.

Green = go. Red = stop. Yellow does not equal “gun it”!

Many drivers see a yellow light and start driving like they stole something. Don’t do that. Remember, if you’re crossing into an intersection and the light becomes red, you’re breaking the law. You’re also creating a dangerous situation for cross traffic.

When teaching your teenager how to safely negotiate an intersection controlled by a traffic signal, consider the speed at which you are traveling as well as the distance between your car and the intersection. If you’re following other cars, it’s a good idea to use cover braking in case the traffic light turns yellow and you need to stop.

Running a red light is incredibly dangerous

Although the purpose of this article is how to determine the point of no return, it’s worthwhile to mention (again) how you should always err on the side of safety. Think about it: If your light is red, that means someone else’s light is green. You’re basically playing chicken (or, more accurately, Frogger) with a 3,000 lb missile. What I’m saying is simple: If you’re within the vicinity of your point of no return, stop.

Okay, you’re invincible. But, is it worth the ticket?

Many new drivers, due to their age, are invincible. As we all know, teenagers are immortal. They’re also the smartest of all humans. Therefore, my arguments regarding danger are, admittedly, irrelevant.

However, teenagers are not independently wealthy. Nor are they immune to tickets and jail. So, is running the red light worth getting the ticket? As you are well aware, many municipalities across the United States have started to install red light cameras. These cameras take pictures when the signal switches from yellow to red in order to catch red light runners. Shortly thereafter, the red light runner receives a ticket in the mail.

I hope that the next time you see a yellow traffic light, you don’t think about this article. Rather, I hope you simply stop and enjoy the rest of your drive.

http://www.driversedguru.com/driving...-turns-yellow/

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    This is a classic scene. So funny. Studies show if yellow lights were extended, you'd have fewer accidents. But running red lights is revenue, so they don't do that. Yet another reason why traffic laws are about revenue, not saving lives.

So I live in an area of SoCal that has a lot of commuters. MY area is getting bigger, and there is less and less of a reason to travel 45 minutes for shopping or entertainment, but to visit family/friends, to go to Disneyland (with our annual passes), or to go to certain stores, it's necessary. I also commuted 45 minutes while finishing college. So I have spent my fair share of time on Interstate 15 and in the Cajon Pass.

The single biggest issue I have with traffic is people camping out in the number 1 lane when traffic would move MUCH smoother if it was used as it is intended, for passing only. This is compounded by a big rig passing a big rig, which is passing another big rig. Everyone has to put their brakes on. In other words, there are big rigs in the slow lane and the number 3 lane. Big rig in the slow lane pulls out to pass another big rig in the slow lane, going roughly .08 mph faster than the one he or she is passing. Then a big rig behind that one in the number 3 lane decides to do the same thing, and passes that one, barely going faster in the number 2 lane.

What in the fucking fuck, people? Big rigs, stop taking up all the lanes, passing another big rig over a 30 mile stretch. Everyone else, don't sit in the fast lane going the same speed or slow than the other lanes. Use it for passing.

Finally, stop sitting in my blind spot like we're in some sort of blue angel formation! If you're going to go the exact same speed as I am, do it where I can see you, not in the one freaking spot I can't.

Okay, rant over.

blue angel formation!

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs maybe
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:12 AM
    Liked 173 Times in 104 Posts

+1, that's hilarious. Now at least I have something to chuckle at while I'm feeling pissed off when someone does this.
    Kevin

Last Online

Premium Member

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Green means "go." Yellow means "go faster."