Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:21 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Default What if Van Halen III.....

What if Ed wrote VHIII in Eb tuning like the Dave days. Instead of Gary singing like Sammy, he would have sang like he did in Extreme. I wonder what this album would have been like then. The riffs would have been composed a little differently I'm sure.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 16,543 Times in 9,377 Posts

What if Ed would have just brought Dave back in 1996 like almost everybody thought he was going to do? We could have had a whole album of songs like these instead of the musical abortion that was/is VHIII ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:54 PM
    Liked 11,767 Times in 6,519 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    What if Ed would have just brought Dave back in 1996 like almost everybody thought he was going to do? We could have had a whole album of songs like these instead of the musical abortion that was/is VHIII ...

This.
    VH III SUCKED. BIG TIME.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    This.
    VH III SUCKED. BIG TIME.
    I wonder how many VH3 riffs/tunes would have ended up on a new Dave record back then? Hmmm.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

This.
    VH III SUCKED. BIG TIME.
    Do you play guitar ? If so , remember that GFTPM magazine issue that had a reader quote about a guy dissing a certain artist ?
    The reader wrote to the perp ..."Where's your band playing tonight ?"

Always liked that one . VH III has certain merits for those of us who chose to give them an honest shot .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    What if Ed wrote VHIII in Eb tuning like the Dave days. Instead of Gary singing like Sammy, he would have sang like he did in Extreme. I wonder what this album would have been like then. The riffs would have been composed a little differently I'm sure.
    The tuning had/has very little to do with the riffs IMO . It was more about the construction of the riffs and songs themselves . Ed certainly branched out a lot with his chord choices and even the tunings on some songs . The timbre was different and the vibe was unfamiliar to most people . Eddie's experiment wasn't met with open arms from his fan base .

I can identify with the EVH activity on that record , but it goes over most people's heads ... Shame ....
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Do you play guitar ? If so , remember that GFTPM magazine issue that had a reader quote about a guy dissing a certain artist ?

Always liked that one . VH III has certain merits for those of us who chose to give them an honest shot .
    Are you serious? That's the last refuge of a musical snob without a point. NEWSFLASH: YOU ONLY NEED EARS TO CRITIQUE MUSIC. Do you realize that there are producers and artists that either don't play or can't play instruments very well? You can love that album all you want, many people think IT SUCKS. Here's a shocker, many of them are Van Halen fans. Take that attitude and BS quote and shove it, brother.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

So I'm guessing you don't wanna have a beer later , eh ? Haha

I like half of III more than I like half of Diver Down . "Opinions are like ***holes"

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

So I'm guessing you don't wanna have a beer later , eh ? Haha

I like half of III more than I like half of Diver Down . "Opinions are like ***holes"
    Dude, nothing personal with you. It's with your comment.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Ditto .
    I started to add a part to my post , but decided against it . It was a blurb about not carrying on with any nonsense fighting on here . Honestly - I'm here for the music stuff .

Cool ? Cheers

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Yes, but then you made it personal when you wrote, "Take that attitude and BS quote and shove it, brother." There's definitely a nicer way of saying something like that without being aggressively mean about it. C'mon, people, lighten up.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

...back on topic...

The concern for me with III might be what has actually stuck in Eddie's mind for all of these years...what if that's how he writes now?

I love Balance. I really like the songs that I really like, if that makes sense. I've never had any use for Big Fat Money, the instrumentals, Deja Vu, or Feelin' (not to mention Strung out). I think Balance has the remnants of some good stuff written with Sammy, but the well, dare I say it, may have started to run dry.

I think Ed got motivated by doing the Twister stuff. I think Humans Being is a terrific addition to the Van Halen catalog. Same for Me Wise Magic. I think making music with Dave again had some impact on his creativity. But these were the last great songs written by Eddie.

III songs just don't sound like Van Halen, and I don't think the singer is the reason. The three songs on BOBW were great, because we finally got some new material to talk about, but they were disjointed and again, not really Van Halen-like.

Okay, so we have ADKOT....the big question is when were the new tunes written? Based on Dave's comments the band hadn't written anything together in 20-years...Was China Town from 2000? What about You and Your Blues? Stay Frosty? Because we all know the demos don't count...Don't bash me. I think ADKOT is awesome, and I'm glad they redid the demos, put them on an official release, and the band sounds awesome. They deserve to be able to use their own music on an album. Bands go into the vaults all of the time...that's not my argument here.

So that's my original point...10 albums worth of material, etc. Maybe Ed just can't write the way he used to anymore? He knows it? III kind of showed him that the public thinks it's shit. It's 17-years later and nobody is calling III their Sgt. Peppers, like some claimed would happen over time.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sadly, I believe this to be true....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

Imagine Van Halen was an unheard of band prior to VHIII. No one had heard of Ed, Alex, Mike, and Gary. There were no previous albums. They release their debut album, Van Halen III. Where are they playing tonight?

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

That's the most ridiculous hypothetical question I've read on this forum.

I don't know if I should congratulate you or slap you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk