Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Default Anyone catch Peavey on Undercover Boss?

I haven't seen it yet, but I sure have read about it. The following is based upon a recap I have read:

Apparently Hartley didn't feel like he could go "undercover," so the CEO, Courtland Gray, went undercover.

First, he heads to a Peavey showroom. He does displays and meets an employee, Ajay, who writes music himself. A band comes in to play there, and in the middle of the show, the equipment malfunctions. In the ultimate insult, the band blames the brand, insinuating that Peavey equipment is inherently unreliable. Ajay wants to stay in the US; he needs his green card.

Next, Gray heads to Meridian, their main manufacturing plant in the US. He meets Theresa, who says that while she is supposed to do her job in 73 seconds, it takes minutes to do it properly. Gray, in trying to do her job in 73 seconds, fries a circuit board. While they talk, she tells them how bad the cutbacks have been, the rolling back of benefits, the frozen wages, and the ending of company morale get togethers, like barbecues.

Next, Gray meets cabinet maker Michael. Michael was homeless when he started working at Peavey. Now he provides for his family, but he explains it has been tough with the cutbacks. Plus, Peavey has been outsourcing more and more, so he is concerned about that. He quickly "busts" the CEO, so they move to discussing Michael's personal situation. Michael has found another, better job, and he is going to put in his two weeks.

So the "undercover" boss reveals himself and some impressive gifts and counteroffers. He is going to get Ajay his green card and personally pay for it. He will also be gifted $20,000 in equipment to continue composing. Theresa will not only receive money for college, which was a rolled back benefit, she will get her dream RV vacation. Lastly, Michael, receives a counteroffer of his own, to stay. Gray also offers to pay off his student loans and pay for the care of his mother, who needs help.

This is usually where Undercover Boss ends. Not with Peavey. In an epilogue, four months after filming, drastic cutbacks came at Peavey. People were laid off or relocated. Theresa lost her job. Michael is quite unhappy as he had a great job lined up and Gray talked him out of it. Worse, the CEO would likely know drastic cuts were coming 4 months ahead of time, so he probably did these things knowing full well what was coming.

Worse? The company is still "trying" to fulfill their promises to Ajay, Theresa, and Micheal. Recap here:http://realitytvmagazine.sheknows.co...y-electronics/

Whole episode here: http://www.cbs.com/shows/undercover_...y-electronics/

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

Sad. I wish times were better.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Peavey came off looking horrific in this. I have always supported Peavey, long before Ed came along. I have had and still have wolfies, 5150 combo etc. I can honestly say I will not purchase anything from them again. They screwed those people over, especially the kid they talk into staying so he loses the opportunity at the other job that he was offered. Hartley looked like a hick that had no idea what was going on. The icing on the cake was the " trying" to fulfill the promises of cash they offered those people. Maybe Ed saw this coming and jumped ship off the sinking ship! I was truly sickened by this. Typical corporate horseshit. I bet Courtland has a big fat salary. I would take it out of his salary. I always thought Hartley was a shrewd business man but he just came off a hillbilly who was so removed from it you couldn't imagine his name on the company. I'm done. Mr Peavey, not that you care but I'm out!

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

I am currently a Peavey dealer. I worked for a dealer for ten years and have been a dealer for about 15 years. This has been a long time coming. The Hartleyisms began in the 90's. "Peavey will never manufacture any product outside of the United States". The first import was a Vietnamese Predator guitar, as I recall. The strings rusted on the guitars in transit, and the product was total junk. Their first attempts at producing wireless products resulted in showing a couple of prototypes and never producing them. They eventually did some goofy wireless stuff but, that was years later. This was pre Ed and the company actually had merit and provided bang for the buck in spite of the silliness.

In 2007 or 8 they went over a year without manufacturing a large format mixing console (16 channels and up) and they were always quoting two months out as the lead time. In the last week I tried to order Quadra series speakers from their Architectual Acoustics line, and they are out for two to three months, yeah right. I tried to get their Media Matrix products for an installation at a local university last year, and was told I would have to attend their school for product education. I went with the Rane Hal1x and it blows the Peavey product out of the water. Up to 512 ins and 512 outs, versus 32x32, Crestron, Extron etc. compatible as well.

I have never met my current field representative and was never told that my old rep, who had worked there since 1984, had left in 2008. This is not looking good for the All American company and reflects Hartley's lack of interest or ability, mostly due to his age I'm sure. It's kind of sad but, the current regime either doesn't know or doesn't care about the original mission statement. So long Peavey. Nice knowin' ya!
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 6505+ combo and a 6505+ head. I'm not sure where the 120watt head even is and the combo has become a night stand. Peavey guitars from the 80s IMO always sucked. The Wolfs are the only guitars of any notability. I had some peavey towers back in the 80s that rocked. For the most part, only Eddie's gear has ever seemed badass to me !!!
    Maybe I can get a 6534 for cheap soon....
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I don't doubt any of this. It was obvious Hartley was out of it. I remember the USA or the grave comments as well. He just giggled at all of it. I'm sure that's easily done when you are a multi millionaire. But these people just came across as regular folks trying to carve out a living. The gal had been there 24 years. I realize that business is off but to promise things and be " in the process" of delivering on those things on national TV is just ridiculous. I used to really enjoy the working mans approach but now it's just crap like any other company with no quality. What a joke!

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I'm really surprised there aren't more people tripping on this. I thought Ed was being a pain in the ass for them but it appears he saw the change in attitude with that piece of crap Exp Wolf. That thing is an abomination. Strangely he is going the same direction with the Evh line with so many of the cluttered line being imports of questionable quality as well.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I'm surprised they could release an import of Ed's guitar. Many assumed this was the final straw for Ed. I heard PV wanted to get rid of him because he was demanding too much money so the contract wasn't renewed. I can't take Ed seriously with his equipment anymore. I feel it's just a cash grab. I'll always say the EBMM was the best quality guitar he had and he's been chasing it ever since. He doesn't understand (or care) quality and consistency take time.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

They had to know that facility was closing. I mean, how could they sit there and do that? There's no WAY I'd do a TV showing what an awesome boss I am by being humbled by my employees, then giving them gifts...only to pull the rug out from under them and not give them those gifts. Did they think the show wouldn't have an epilogue?

We used to have a lot of parents come into the music store I worked at. They weren't really brand conscious, but they had heard of Fender and some other companies. I can only imagine that anyone who watched that episode would refuse to buy a Peavey product if their kid got into guitar.

We were not a Peavey dealer. The closest thing to them that we had was Yamaha, where I think the quality was a lot higher, but it wasn't cheap. Sure they had inexpensive guitars, and I think the Pacifica line was great for the price range. It was just amazing how so many people knew Peavey, but had no idea Yamaha made anything other than motorsports stuff.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    They had to know that facility was closing. I mean, how could they sit there and do that? There's no WAY I'd do a TV showing what an awesome boss I am by being humbled by my employees, then giving them gifts...only to pull the rug out from under them and not give them those gifts. Did they think the show wouldn't have an epilogue?
    They are obligated to give the gifts. It's a cheap way for the featured company to advertise...although not giving any gifts is even cheaper.

It's a shame. The Peavey Wolfs were great.

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

They most definitely at least knew it was highly possible they would close it. I first enjoyed Peavey products years before Ed came around with their amps. True most were solid state but for a kick around amp at home you couldn't beat the features, durability and mostly price. When Edward's amps came out they were great and I still own a 5150 combo that's built like a tank and sounds amazing. Then the guitar was killer for the price except of course those first year quilts werent so good. Flame instead no biggie. Custom shops were cool then the dreaded EXP. It was over then and Ed left for whatever reason. To me letting him get away was just plain stupid. Even so the HP Specials are their effort to tweak the wolf and still sell a good guitar. They are great but are all gone almost. After this they are off the map. I think it got to be hartleys ego vs Ed's and there you go. To me this show just puts the last nail in the coffin. Why on earth they wanted to do this show and expose how bad it truly has gotten including the epilogue is beyond me. Whatever marketing genious who went there should have been fired! It's not even like they gave as much as most companies on the show do to the selected people and they can't even keep to that. Sad, sad state of affairs. No more Peavey for me knowing its just junk that's imported like all the other " price point" companies. I doubt they can resurrect the line especially with its name sake so old and out of it. Courtland sure as hell can't do the job obviously! Buyer beware is right!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Horrible about what happened to those employees. Sounds like another case of corporate greed screwing the people over. As far as I know, Peavey is only capable of selling 6505's to metal guitarists. If they can't reinvent themselves and get a big new product out there, I'd say their time is done. Amp companies are making their products more diverse to make themselves more appealing and to compete with stuff like the Axe-FX. Schecter has made a pretty good amp with the Hellwin, which can do metal pretty damn well, so Peavey better get themselves in gear if they want to survive.

Selling PA equipment to schools isn't going to save them.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

It's sad seeing yet another American company lose the plot and go under...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    It's sad seeing yet another American company lose the plot and go under...
    There is still Ernie Ball! Even their Sterling imports are fantastic you still get top quality off of the USA made models AFAIK.