Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Default Small amp advice

I am in a little neighborhood garage band, and we have started to play some very small gigs (parties and whatnot). I play my Peavey Wolfgang Special through a Vox VT30. I also use a Digitech RP255 to dial up certain tones. It works fine for our purposes, but I have always wanted to get a tube amp for the warm tone.

I have an opportunity to buy a Bugera V22 tube amp for less than $300, and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I have a very limited budget, and don't really "need" something new, but from what I've seen, they sound pretty good and provide some power and warmth I'm not getting now.

Thoughts?

TK

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

The one issue I've heard of with Bugera is durability. I believe they are related to Behringer, which are of atrocious quality....buyer beware..
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    The one issue I've heard of with Bugera is durability. I believe they are related to Behringer, which are of atrocious quality....buyer beware..
    I've got a Bugera 1960 Infinium that I've been beating the snot out of by diming every control and running it through an attenuator. It holds up pretty well.

Pickslide, I'd get something louder than 22 watts if you're playing with a drummer. 30 watts seems to be the threshold for an average drummer, but I'd go 50 if you've got a loud one.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    I've got a Bugera 1960 Infinium that I've been beating the snot out of by diming every control and running it through an attenuator. It holds up pretty well.

Pickslide, I'd get something louder than 22 watts if you're playing with a drummer. 30 watts seems to be the threshold for an average drummer, but I'd go 50 if you've got a loud one.
    Yeah, I worried a little about volume. But now I use a Vox VT30 and run through a PA. Hasn't been an issue so far, due to some mixing. Do you think it would be worse than the VT30?

TK

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Postlude.

Not that anyone cares, but while I was wringing my hands about this Musician's Friend put their all tube 120-watt Bugeras on sale for $299. So I went for it. Should be here today or tomorrow. I know it's not a Marshall or Fender, but I just really don't want to sink that much right now. So I took the plunge. They have a 45-day return policy, so if it blows, I'll send it back. Worth the risk for the price...

TK

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:26 AM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

Bugera amps have a decent tone for the price. The problem with them is that when they do fail, you may as well throw it in the dumpster. Pretty much not worth the cost to repair it, if it can even be repaired.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Bugera amps have a decent tone for the price. The problem with them is that when they do fail, you may as well throw it in the dumpster. Pretty much not worth the cost to repair it, if it can even be repaired.
    A good spate of the failures are actually due to an internal fuse that was spec'd at one thing but a lower value installed or the power transformer dying. Fortunately any Marshall 1959 spec power transformer that mounts the same way is a plug in replacement (Mercury Magnetics, Heyboer, Hammond, etc.), so both are actually relatively easy fixes.

I have a 1960 Infinium and I've been beating the snot out of it by running it full tilt into a Jet City Jettenuator. It doesn't seem to mind.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

A good spate of the failures are actually due to an internal fuse that was spec'd at one thing but a lower value installed or the power transformer dying. Fortunately any Marshall 1959 spec power transformer that mounts the same way is a plug in replacement (Mercury Magnetics, Heyboer, Hammond, etc.), so both are actually relatively easy fixes.

I have a 1960 Infinium and I've been beating the snot out of it by running it full tilt into a Jet City Jettenuator. It doesn't seem to mind.

Thanks for the input, guys. I am notoriously gentle on equipment. I have had crap guitars and crap amps, and nothing has ever crapped out on me. Hopefully, this won't be the first. I barely gig and will rarely turn the thing above 2 at home. On sale, it was cheaper than most of the solid state amps I looked at, so I figured what the hell.

TK

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. I am notoriously gentle on equipment. I have had crap guitars and crap amps, and nothing has ever crapped out on me. Hopefully, this won't be the first. I barely gig and will rarely turn the thing above 2 at home. On sale, it was cheaper than most of the solid state amps I looked at, so I figured what the hell.

TK
    Yeah, I'm not easy on my stuff... I mean, I don't throw it around but I play the crap out of it.

Over at TGP there's a guy named Blix who's been running his 1960 Infinium hard for a couple years now. He had to replace one internal fuse pretty early on when he first cranked it due to the wrong one being installed, but that's been it. They seem to have fixed that by the time they made mine since I haven't had a problem.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Another update.

Amp came in. Looks good, sounds good. BUT...

Cuts out sometimes when set to 16 OHMs, which is what is correct for the internal cabinet. Works fine on 4 and 8, but not 16. Guess I'm sending it back. Dammit!

Maybe KS 5150 was right when he said "buyer beware..."

But at least they'll replace it at this point...

TK

:

Last Online

Another update.

Amp came in. Looks good, sounds good. BUT...

Cuts out sometimes when set to 16 OHMs, which is what is correct for the internal cabinet. Works fine on 4 and 8, but not 16. Guess I'm sending it back. Dammit!

Maybe KS 5150 was right when he said "buyer beware..."

But at least they'll replace it at this point...

TK

:
    Does it look like the amp was packaged factory fresh or was it a repack? It might have been a previous return that was just put back in the system instead of marked defective.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Does it look like the amp was packaged factory fresh or was it a repack? It might have been a previous return that was just put back in the system instead of marked defective.

How could I tell? The amp is spotless, and the knobs are even "stiff" like they've never been used. The box was in okay shape but torn in a place or two and taped pretty aggressively, if you know what I mean.

TK

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

That's too bad. I have a 6260 head that is at least 4 or 5 years old and is awesomesauce. Bought it used from a buddy and no regrets.

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

How could I tell? The amp is spotless, and the knobs are even "stiff" like they've never been used. The box was in okay shape but torn in a place or two and taped pretty aggressively, if you know what I mean.

TK
    Well, was the tape previously cut? Was the amp in a bag that was taped up pretty neatly?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Well, was the tape previously cut? Was the amp in a bag that was taped up pretty neatly?
    Hard to tell. There was a LOT of tape, so a repack is possible.

ANOTHER UPDATE: The amp is working now. I took it to a gig warm-up on Friday night and used it the whole time. I also used it for the gig on Saturday and it was flawless. About 4 or 5 hours of playing, switching channels and whatnot. Maybe it just needed to be broken in or something.

I love the clean tone on this thing. But I definitely need to adjust the lead channel settings. Someone recorded part of the performance, and the lead channel was very scratchy and lacked character...

TK