Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Default RRvh1's EVH Striped VH1 trem issue

Hey, @RRvh1. I started a whole thread for ya, bud, since it looked like nobody saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Sorry to insert this here , but I have a semi-serious request ... I've recently purchased a used EVH striped VH I guitar and it was 'fiddled' with by the previous owner . The bridge doesn't sit flush with the body although there's been a trem-stopper device installed in the cavity . The Floyd sits higher (IMO) and the strings are further away from the fixed/set pickup .

Can any owners of the VH I guitar please post photos of the bridge area ? Looking for a side view that shows the guitar body and the angle/orientation of the bridge . Also looking for pickup to string height images , and perhaps the inside of the trem cavity where the 'claw' is .

The guitar plays very well , but I want to do some more tweaks to get her ...puuuurrrfect
    What did that goofball do? Why put a trem-stopper on a guitar where the bridge sits against the body?

Can you take some good pics of the device in the cavity and some pics of the bridge from the side? I'll give you an example of a good angle to shoot for the bridge.

Last edited by GilmourD; 02.14.15 at 05:30 PM.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:41 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Hey brother , thanks so much !!!
    I appreciate the support . Will take the photos tomorrow and post them here .

The "Little Mrs." just got home from work and wants to hang out . Valentines Day and all ... LOL .

Thanks again . Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:51 AM
    Liked 2,851 Times in 1,066 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

RRvh1 - as soon as you get some pics up I'd be glad to chime in. My guess is you probably don't need that trem stop...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

So here it goes ... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	2741Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	2742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	2743

Hope the pics explain what I was saying . The guitar plays okay , yet clearly the Floyd isn't flush with the body as intended . Trem is perpendicular and level to the body , yet it's raised and bottom of the base plate 'clears' the height of the pick guard . The I haven't taken the back plate off yet to snap the trem stop , but you get the idea .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

When I bought my B&Y new when they first came out, out of the box it needed adjustment. The Floyd was raised up like that at the front, but was angled down touching the body at the back end, and the action was way too high. I was able to lower the Floyd and adjust the trem claw screws to get it flat on the body and get the action where I wanted it.

In your case, with it up off the body like that, but with a trem stop so it doesn't pull up, the result should be the same. However, I'd expect you're action might be too high. Is that the case?

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The FR bridge is not gonna sit flush to the body. It is gonna sit parallel to the body. If there is a trem stoppper in there, it because the tension between the strings and the springs is off. First, I would adjust the string elevation down to a usable heigth you like. If I remember correctly, it should be 1.25 to 1.50mm at the 12th fret. Lower the elevation down 1/2 turn on each of the posts until you are happy with it. Check for fret buzzing after each 1/2 turn. Also count those 1/2 turns so you can get back to the original elevation ect. Next, back off or remove the trem stopper. Keep the guitar in tune and adjust the spring claw screws in or out depending on if the FR base plate is leaning forward or backward. Getting the string tension to work against the spring tension is the tricky part. Also, check the thru the neck bolts which hold the nut base to the neck. Be sure those two bolts are not protruding above the nut and not allowing the nut clamps to seat properly. If those neck bolts are sticking up high, you will never get the FR system to work correctly. Once you have done all these things, if it does not want to stay in tune (strings stretched out of course) I recommend checking out some Youtube vids on FR set up. It is a back and forth thing you gotta get used to to get a FR to act right. Once you get it---you will never forget it ect.
    Good luck and be prepared for some frustration

If those neck bolts are to long, get some little washers from the hardware store and put em on the bolts to shorten the length they stick thru the neck.
    Last edited by evhintexas; 02.15.15 at 07:00 AM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    When I bought my B&Y new when they first came out, out of the box it needed adjustment. The Floyd was raised up like that at the front, but was angled down touching the body at the back end, and the action was way too high. I was able to lower the Floyd and adjust the trem claw screws to get it flat on the body and get the action where I wanted it.

In your case, with it up off the body like that, but with a trem stop so it doesn't pull up, the result should be the same. However, I'd expect you're action might be too high. Is that the case?
    You've pretty much described a few set up issues I've had in the past with the Floyd being angled . Not too big of a deal , with a bit of tweaking .
    My EVH guitar still plays nice though . Surprisingly , the action isn't all that bad . Might just a bit lower would be perfect ...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    The FR bridge is not gonna sit flush to the body. It is gonna sit parallel to the body. If there is a trem stoppper in there, it because the tension between the strings and the springs is off. First, I would adjust the string elevation down to a usable heigth you like. If I remember correctly, it should be 1.25 to 1.50mm at the 12th fret. Lower the elevation down 1/2 turn on each of the posts until you are happy with it. Check for fret buzzing after each 1/2 turn. Also count those 1/2 turns so you can get back to the original elevation ect. Next, back off or remove the trem stopper. Keep the guitar in tune and adjust the spring claw screws in or out depending on if the FR base plate is leaning forward or backward. Getting the string tension to work against the spring tension is the tricky part. Also, check the thru the neck bolts which hold the nut base to the neck. Be sure those two bolts are not protruding above the nut and not allowing the nut clamps to seat properly. If those neck bolts are sticking up high, you will never get the FR system to work correctly. Once you have done all these things, if it does not want to stay in tune (strings stretched out of course) I recommend checking out some Youtube vids on FR set up. It is a back and forth thing you gotta get used to to get a FR to act right. Once you get it---you will never forget it ect.
    Good luck and be prepared for some frustration

If those neck bolts are to long, get some little washers from the hardware store and put em on the bolts to shorten the length they stick thru the neck.
    Thanks for the helpful tips !
    I'm going to putz around with it later on . Great hint about the locking nut screws/bolts/washers . I've read that before on the Links , but had overlooked that as a possible solution for 2 of my other guitars with tuning issues .

You make a super point about the string vs spring tension in relation to someone's patience !!! THE main reason I no longer use floating trems .
    Cheers

Last Online

Now remember, there will be a little space between the actual plate and the body because the body will come into contact with the shim between the plate and sustain block. Don't let that fool your eye.

There is a space, though, on yours... I wonder if the neck pocket needs a tiny shim.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    Now remember, there will be a little space between the actual plate and the body because the body will come into contact with the shim between the plate and sustain block. Don't let that fool your eye.

There is a space, though, on yours... I wonder if the neck pocket needs a tiny shim.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk
    Not sure about the neck shim . I think that lowering the bridge and removing the trem stop is how I'm likely to proceed for now . Just wondering why the prior owner even bothered with this ? Like I replied ^^^ , I'm going to do some fiddling around later . Thanks for the help . I'll let you know how I make out .

Cheers

Last Online

Not sure about the neck shim . I think that lowering the bridge and removing the trem stop is how I'm likely to proceed for now . Just wondering why the prior owner even bothered with this ? Like I replied ^^^ , I'm going to do some fiddling around later . Thanks for the help . I'll let you know how I make out .

Cheers
    See how low you can get the bridge while still being comfortable and take pics after that.

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Not sure about the neck shim . I think that lowering the bridge and removing the trem stop is how I'm likely to proceed for now . Just wondering why the prior owner even bothered with this ?
    It sounds like the previous owner wanted it decked, but didn't want the action lower. So a trem stop was the only solution, right? If it's not blocked/decked, switching the D-tuna would cause the other strings to go out of tune.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    See how low you can get the bridge while still being comfortable and take pics after that.
    Will do .

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    It sounds like the previous owner wanted it decked, but didn't want the action lower. So a trem stop was the only solution, right? If it's not blocked/decked, switching the D-tuna would cause the other strings to go out of tune.
    Sounds very probable .

Last Online

Any luck?

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

To echo the point made above, I'd guess - and this is only a possibility - that the previous owner blocked the trem, rather than setting it flat on the body, because he didn't want the action any lower. He maybe didn't realise that the neck might be shimmed to angle it back, thus lowering the action, so I'd investigate that. If you're able to adjust the bridge and get the action where you want it, then all is well. If you adjust the bridge and find the strings flat on the board, it may be there's a shim you need to take out. I had to use a shim on my RBW Striped to get the action right, and I also had problems with the Floyd nut bolts being too long, though that was an easy fix.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: