Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.21.16 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 280 Times in 155 Posts

Default Google's Vint Cerf warns of 'digital Dark Age' [BBC News]

Google's Vint Cerf warns of 'digital Dark Age'

Vint Cerf, a "father of the internet", says he is worried that all the images and documents we have been saving on computers will eventually be lost.

Currently a Google vice-president, he believes this could occur as hardware and software become obsolete.

He fears that future generations will have little or no record of the 21st Century as we enter what he describes as a "digital Dark Age".

Mr Cerf made his comments at a large science conference in San Jose.

He arrived at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science stylishly dressed in a three-piece suit. This iconic figure, who helped define how data packets move around the net, is possibly the only Google employee who wears a tie.

I felt obliged to thank him for the internet, and he bowed graciously. "One is glad to be of service," he said humbly.

His focus now is to resolve a new problem that threatens to eradicate our history.

Our life, our memories, our most cherished family photographs increasingly exist as bits of information - on our hard drives or in "the cloud". But as technology moves on, they risk being lost in the wake of an accelerating digital revolution.

"I worry a great deal about that," Mr Cerf told me. "You and I are experiencing things like this. Old formats of documents that we've created or presentations may not be readable by the latest version of the software because backwards compatibility is not always guaranteed.

"And so what can happen over time is that even if we accumulate vast archives of digital content, we may not actually know what it is."
    'Digital vellum'

Vint Cerf is promoting an idea to preserve every piece of software and hardware so that it never becomes obsolete - just like what happens in a museum - but in digital form, in servers in the cloud.

If his idea works, the memories we hold so dear could be accessible for generations to come.

"The solution is to take an X-ray snapshot of the content and the application and the operating system together, with a description of the machine that it runs on, and preserve that for long periods of time. And that digital snapshot will recreate the past in the future."

A company would have to provide the service, and I suggested to Mr Cerf that few companies have lasted for hundreds of years. So how could we guarantee that both our personal memories and all human history would be safeguarded in the long run?

Even Google might not be around in the next millennium, I said.

"Plainly not," Vint Cerf laughed. "But I think it is amusing to imagine that it is the year 3000 and you've done a Google search. The X-ray snapshot we are trying to capture should be transportable from one place to another. So, I should be able to move it from the Google cloud to some other cloud, or move it into a machine I have.

"The key here is when you move those bits from one place to another, that you still know how to unpack them to correctly interpret the different parts. That is all achievable if we standardise the descriptions.

"And that's the key issue here - how do I ensure in the distant future that the standards are still known, and I can still interpret this carefully constructed X-ray snapshot?"

The concept of what Mr Cerf refers to as "digital vellum" has been demonstrated by Mahadev Satyanarayanan at Carnegie Mellon University.

"It's not without its rough edges but the major concept has been shown to work," Mr Cerf said.

------- ------- -------

I think very highly of this man. He came to our agency in 2012 to talk about how Google and the US Government are working together, etc. He also told us about the Internet's beginnings. Very interesting.

Anyway, this article has a ring of truth to it. I think that, by and large, folks are amassing all these pictures and data on their hard drives and it's getting lost or left behind when they upgrade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 11:42 AM
    Liked 1,041 Times in 537 Posts

Premium Member

This is absolutely true. One thing about the ancient Egyptians was they left records in stone. So we can piece it together thousands of years later. In a thousand years, nobody will have a "Pentium Dell" to bring up our old pics and records.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 05:54 AM
    Liked 773 Times in 309 Posts

Just look at what it's done to the "Family Photo Album"...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

10.22.16 @ 12:04 PM
    Liked 811 Times in 559 Posts

Premium Member

it's kind of scary as I haven't taken a picture on film in quite a few years now, everything is digital, which takes up a lot less space to back up (than the photo albums), but still I never even gave it that much of a thought that someday someone might not be able to read those files. I'm not sure that would happen though, even if the .jpg format became obsolete, I have to imagine someone would come out with a utility to convert .jpg files to the new format. The documents and stuff is kind of interesting, but I still feel they wouldn't leave folks hanging with all of that stuff. Was a time when old copies of Excel couldn't open files made in a newer version, but I don't think there's ever been a time when an old format got left behind.