Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default 19 Year old Texas girl cannot prove her legal existence... Identity abuse?

Alecia Pennington has turned to social media to try to figure out what to do. She left her parents home with the help of her maternal grandparents and now is at odds with her parents

She was born at home by using a midwife.....her parents did not register her for a birth certificate, although her mother says she has a birth certificate "to the best of her knowledge"...a check of the bureau of vital statistics turned up nothing
    She was never registered for a Social Security number
    she was home schooled all her life, no school records

she never went to a hospital or doctor...no medical records

Her parents seem to be Christian Conservatives, but they are educated...her father is an accountant (although there are some beliefs that he has either never filed and income tax return for himself and thus no listing of the girl as a dependents, or filed and never listed his children as dependents because they had no social security number)

so the girl is 19, can;t get a birth certificate issued, or a drivers license , or a social security card, or a voters registration, or a passport etc etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-school.html
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Help-...5890?ref=br_tf
    http://heavy.com/news/2015/02/alecia...youtube-video/
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 02.12.15 at 02:47 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

the parents have responded and it's odd

they keep posting things on the mothers blog (she is a well know leader in the homeschooling community) and then they delete it
    They sometimes use anonymous names for their posts
    They say they want to help their daughter, but when she started a facebook page titled "help me prove it" her father immediately bought up the domain name so that she would not be able to build a website using the same name

its weird
    https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordp...-abuse-claims/

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Sounds like awesome parents. I vote prison time.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

So...What now for this young woman? It is a bizarre - and perplexing - situation, but surely it should be easily rectifiable, no? No..?
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

My grandfather was an orphan, surrendered at the 'Orphan Asylum" by his single mother way back in 1902 The Catholic church didn't get a birth certificate issued either, I guess because they didn't want to name the parents? it was optional back then anyway

My grandfather spent his first 12 years in the orphanage, until he was "adopted" by a family whom he lived with and he helped worked their farm

At some point he went to enlist with the army, I believe and without a birth certificate he had a problem. He had to produce someone who would sign an affadavit stating he had knowledge that he lived in the US all his life. I believe he used a friend from the orphanage who was like a brother to him.

It wasn't until after my grandfather was married with 2 children that one of his adoptive parents died and thru that event, he learned that he was never adopted by the family, but was only a foster kid. He used their last name to get his marriage license and now had 2 kids that bore the last name of the family that never adopted him!

so to make sure that his marriage was legal, he went and got another affadavit detailing the name confusion, and filed the new name with the courts, got remarried and had my grandmother take the new name and then he had to file in court for a change of name for my mother and her sister.

It was very embarrassing and disappointing and hurtful and confusing to him to find out at the age of 40 that he his identity for 28 years was not what he thought it was

When I was older, he asked if there was anything that could be done to research his birth parents. Let me tell you, it was a dead end street. The catholic church didn't keep records like they do now. The only record of his existence I was able to find was a baptismal record written by hand in latin in a book in the basement of a church. It read "illegitimate son of (and the name of the mother)" which was a shock to him as he had been told a completely different story (something along the lines of his father was killed in a train accident and his mother was unable to provide for him) And we found him in the census records. No school records, no childhood records of any type.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

so, he just changed his name from that of his foster parents to something completely random?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

No he took the name that the church had assigned him the first twelve years of his life. He wanted me to research his identity because he wondered if his name was random, or if there were any real records of his birth

The nice priest that helped me dug around til he found the 1902 baptismal record in a church that at the time was affiliated with the asylum, and I have to say, he seemed pretty pleased with himself for finding it. He translated it for me and said that it actually named my Irish great grandmother. I asked if she could have given a fake name upon surrendering the child but he said it was unlikely that an Irish Catholic girl of the day would have the nerve to lie to a priest, especially since it was more than likely that the church had taken in the wayward girl during her pregnancy,

My grandfather also asked about a nun whom he had always wondered if she was really his mother. She had always treated him as tho he was something special and not the ordinary orphan child. When she died she made sure that he was left a little religious statue of hers. My mother has memories that thru out the nuns life, her father would always take his family to the orphanage for special events and to visit the nun. They stayed close until his death. This closed the case on that. It did reopen another interesting thing tho. My grandfather remembered a random name from his past but didn't know how it figured into his history. There was a couple who worked at the orphanage that carried that last name. In the census it showed that the first couple of years of his life, he did not live at the orphanage but instead lived with this couple. The priest said that at the time, infants were routinely placed in foster homes. I found a death record for the man, and shortly after his death, my grandfather was returned to the orphanage. He was about 2 1/2 at the time he was returned as I recall. I always wonder if he would have stayed in that first home if the man of the house had not died.

Because we always wondered if we were really Irish last Christmas i bought one of those DNA tests from Ancestry.com. We knew my mothers side of the family really well, they've been researched from when they came to this country back to when they arrived in Nova Scotia to when they left France...so we knew the lineage really well. No Irish on that side

so when the DNA tests came back that over 40% of my mothers DNA matched DNA in Ireland and Great Britain, we knew we had discovered something real

now the DNA is making connections on that site that we cannot connect to my mother's mothers side of the family, so by elimination we know that some of those 5th and 6th and 7th cousins are more likely to be her fathers side. It will be interesting to watch how this develops

and whats really weird is that when we found my grandfather's baptismal record, and we found out his mother's name, we realized that my mother and my grandmother shared the same name, My grandfather said he named my mother after a saint, not knowing it was his mothers name. He was stunned
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 02.14.15 at 08:53 AM.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It sounds like your experience the ancestry.com's DNA test was a good one. I always wondered about the accuracy, but apparently it's solid.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    No he took the name that the church had assigned him the first twelve years of his life. He wanted me to research his identity because he wondered if his name was random, or if there were any real records of his birth

The nice priest that helped me dug around til he found the 1902 baptismal record in a church that at the time was affiliated with the asylum, and I have to say, he seemed pretty pleased with himself for finding it. He translated it for me and said that it actually named my Irish great grandmother. I asked if she could have given a fake name upon surrendering the child but he said it was unlikely that an Irish Catholic girl of the day would have the nerve to lie to a priest, especially since it was more than likely that the church had taken in the wayward girl during her pregnancy,

My grandfather also asked about a nun whom he had always wondered if she was really his mother. She had always treated him as tho he was something special and not the ordinary orphan child. When she died she made sure that he was left a little religious statue of hers. My mother has memories that thru out the nuns life, her father would always take his family to the orphanage for special events and to visit the nun. They stayed close until his death. This closed the case on that. It did reopen another interesting thing tho. My grandfather remembered a random name from his past but didn't know how it figured into his history. There was a couple who worked at the orphanage that carried that last name. In the census it showed that the first couple of years of his life, he did not live at the orphanage but instead lived with this couple. The priest said that at the time, infants were routinely placed in foster homes. I found a death record for the man, and shortly after his death, my grandfather was returned to the orphanage. He was about 2 1/2 at the time he was returned as I recall. I always wonder if he would have stayed in that first home if the man of the house had not died.

Because we always wondered if we were really Irish last Christmas i bought one of those DNA tests from Ancestry.com. We knew my mothers side of the family really well, they've been researched from when they came to this country back to when they arrived in Nova Scotia to when they left France...so we knew the lineage really well. No Irish on that side

so when the DNA tests came back that over 40% of my mothers DNA matched DNA in Ireland and Great Britain, we knew we had discovered something real

now the DNA is making connections on that site that we cannot connect to my mother's mothers side of the family, so by elimination we know that some of those 5th and 6th and 7th cousins are more likely to be her fathers side. It will be interesting to watch how this develops

and whats really weird is that when we found my grandfather's baptismal record, and we found out his mother's name, we realized that my mother and my grandmother shared the same name, My grandfather said he named my mother after a saint, not knowing it was his mothers name. He was stunned
    wow, good stuff!