Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 157 Times in 82 Posts

Default Best way to protect and seal a Mighty Mite neck?

I've been putting together a partscaster, and got this neck yesterday, http://www.mightymite.com/mm2902--p-40.html. I'm pretty sure it has an oil finish on it. What would be the best way to seal it, but leave it having that "unfinished" feel? I'd also like to maybe darken it a bit, to bring out the grain. I prefer unfinished maple necks, like the neck on my Wolfgang. Linseed oil, Lemon oil, etc?

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Birchwood Casey gunstock oil and gunstock wax. It's used on the EBMM and I suspect some form is used in the Peavey Wolfgang. I bought a Warmoth neck in the 90's and they gave me a hard time over the phone. They wanted to(or have me) shallac the neck or I'd void my warranty. Think a satin finish was an option too. Some bs about the neck warping if I didn't listen to them. Almost 15 years later the neck is fine. There's a factory tour of EBMM. They show someone applying the wax and oil with a paper towel and just a few passes. I went all out. Several coats and letting it dry in between. Didn't matter I guess. I'd steel wool the old finsih a bit and use the BC oil and wax. Mine came out great!

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I'm pretty sure the mighty mite necks come finished with some kind of a light poly finish on them. Should not need to seal it.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I'm pretty sure the mighty mite necks come finished with some kind of a light poly finish on them. Should not need to seal it.
    Yes, I realized that today. I'd love to be able to darken it up a bit to get the grain to pop out some more. I'm wondering if I can just use some steel wool on it, then put some tru oil or tung oil on it.

Last Online

I have a Mighty Mite neck on my project Strat, and I thought it looked a bit too new, so I wanted to make it look a little more worn in. I have heard of people using graphite powder to darken up/age a neck. I didn't have any graphite powder, but pencil lead has graphite in it, so i took a mechanical pencil and colored in the neck, then wiped it down with a towel. It actually worked pretty well. The trick is to color lightly and evenly, then wipe off to your taste. As time passes, where your fingers touch the neck around the strings will wear off the excess graphite, leaving it a little lighter than directly below the string and around the frets. It's actually a pretty cool look. I didn't get carried away with the darkening, so it's only slightly darker around the frets. The headstock did darken up enough to make it look slightly aged.

If you want to really get into the wood grain, you would probably want to hit it with some steel wool first, although I don't think it would really be neccessary.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Last Online

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Wow, that looks great!

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ledvedder View Post
    Wow, that looks great!
    Thank you. IMO, the key is to keep it subtle. If you get too crazy with it, I think it starts to look obvious that you intentionally darkened the neck. My goal was to make it look slightly unkept, as if I let it get really dirty, and only occasionally wipe the major grime off it.