Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Jon Stewart says hes leaving The Daily Show

Ending one of the most venerable and trusted careers in making a complete mockery of the news, Jon Stewart has announced that he is stepping down as host of The Daily Show. According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of today’s episode, telling those in the audience that he’s retiring. No word yet on when exactly he’s leaving, whether this means he’s ending his time in the anchor chair to focus on being a Serious Movie Director now, or just how much this is Brian Williams’ fault. Presumably all of this information will be revealed in time—and delivered by Stewart himself tonight on your television. We’ll update when we have more.

UPDATE: Comedy Central just sent out this official statement confirming the news, and saying that Stewart will remain with The Daily Show until later this year. It also says that the show will “endure for years to come,” suggesting that it won’t end with Stewart.

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I will miss Jon Stewart's sharp wit and masterful use of satire and sarcasm to expose the hypocrisy and buffoonery of America's elites.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

He's a sarcastic wise ass.

And I dig that shit.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Yay Ya!

Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Jon Stewart is a national treasure. What Stewart brings to the discussion and debate will be greatly missed.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

I DVR the Daily Show. I think Stewart has lots to offer. While I enjoyed many of hist bits, I hated that he hid behind the "comedy" shield while he attacked people politically. It's okay to be both funny and honest. But he didn't want that. I will miss watching him each night, but I won't miss the times when he was off base and there was no one to call him on it.

Surprised by the timing, however. I figured he would be a great replacement for Letterman. But that has gone to Colbert, and his show as gone to Wilmore. Further, John Oliver, the obvious choice, went to HBO after hosting the show for a summer. They have sort of run out of obvious choices to take over the show. I wonder who it will be...

While the politically correct choice will be Samantha Bee, I think Jason Jones is poised to take over. I think he will be the choice.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Why Jon Stewart was bad for the liberals that loved him.

eventeen years ago, The Daily Show was a forgettable late-night lark on a little-watched cable channel. Today, after covering seven elections and countless scandals, controversies, and local quirks, the show Jon Stewart built is an institution of American television and an incubator of comedic talent. In addition to making Stewart an international icon, the show has helped launch careers for a roster of former writers and correspondents, including Steve Carell (now up for an Academy Award for Foxcatcher), Stephen Colbert (soon-to-be host of the Late Show), John Oliver (now on HBO), and Larry Wilmore (who has his own Comedy Central show).

Jamelle Bouie
    JAMELLE BOUIE
    Jamelle Bouie is a Slate staff writer covering politics, policy, and race.

All things must end, however, and on Tuesday, Stewart announced his retirement from The Daily Show. To the gaggle of American liberals who watch Stewart and thrive on his comedy, this is a terrible blow, since for them he’s a sparkling island of sanity in a polluted ocean of inane shouting and dishonest personalities.

I grew up with The Daily Show. It hit its stride during the 2004 election—my last full year in high school—and was critical viewing when Barack Obama won the Democratic nomination and then the presidency, my last full year in college. I attended Stewart’s Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear in 2010 and have watched the show on a semi-regular basis for almost a decade. And as a liberal, college-educated millennial—the almost prototypical viewer for The Daily Show—I’m thrilled Stewart is leaving.

I’m not saying this because Stewart has given his time or deserves to try something new. I’m saying this because Jon Stewart, with his brand of left-leaning cynicism (sprinkled with occasional earnestness), is a bad example for the liberals who watch and love him.

The emblematic Stewart posture isn’t a joke or a witticism, it’s a sneer—or if we’re feeling kind, a gentle barb—coupled with a protest: I’m just a comedian. Sometimes, this is refreshing. Of everything Stewart can be proud of in his professional career, special attention goes to his appearance on an Oct. 15, 2004, episode of CNN’s Crossfire, then-hosted by Paul Begala and Tucker Carlson. In his now famous rant, Stewart goes after the two hosts—and cable news writ large—as bad for the country. “Stop, stop, stop, stop hurting America. … Right now, you’re helping the politicians and the corporations. And we’re left out there to mow our lawns,” he said.

More often however, Stewart’s stance is frustrating. His protests to the contrary, Stewart is a pundit, and like many pundits, he’s wed to a kind of anti-politics, where genuine difference doesn’t exist (or isn’t as relevant as we think) and political problem-solving is mostly a matter of will, knowledge, and technocratic know-how.

For a generation of young liberals, Jon Stewart’s chief influence has been to make outrage, cynicism, and condescension the language of the left.
    Take his Crossfire appearance. Lurking in his media criticism was a larger idea about the pointlessness of ideological combat. “To do a debate would be great,” he said, responding to protests from the hosts. “But that’s like saying pro wrestling is a show about athletic competition.” In the context of Begala and Carlson, this was a fair point. But in the larger world, it’s off. No, you’re not going to find sophisticated arguments on cable news, and to the extent that places like CNN are vehicles for nonsense and quasi-dadaist performance art, Stewart is right to mock and ridicule.

Cable, however, isn’t the only forum for debate, and most political conversations aren’t as shallow as the ones you see on TV. On op-ed pages and around dinner tables, Americans have substantive conversations about politics. And while the facts aren’t always right, the discussion is often valuable. Stewart gives short shrift to that kind of talk. Instead, in the world of The Daily Show, the only politics is cable politics, where venality rules, serious disputes are obscured, and cynicism is the only response that works.

Not only does this discourage people who want to make a difference—like the earnest young viewers of Stewart’s audience—but it blurs the picture and makes it hard to see when those arguments really matter. It’s how we get the spectacle of Stewart’s rally, when tens of thousands of liberals gathered on the National Mall in Washington to hear an ode to civility—with an extended metaphor about the Lincoln Tunnel—as if Washington gridlock were a case of bad manners and not deep-seated ideological differences about government and its place in the world.

Top Comment

A significant problem with political commentary today is that people pick "teams" -- you either cheer for the Elephants or the Donkeys. More...

-cmn
    810 CommentsJoin In
    Again, there are times when this basic perspective is vital, when we need someone to bathe our government in light and mockery and challenge the dishonesty, incompetence, and self-seriousness of our leaders and elites. But this approach, which worked wonders during the Bush administration, isn’t always the best one. For liberals in particular, the idea that government is only hypocrisy and dysfunction is self-defeating and nihilistic.

The natural response to all of this is a version of Stewart’s protest—He’s just a comedian—and a refrain from The Dark Knight: Why so serious? The answer is easy: He’s influential. And for a generation of young liberals, his chief influence has been to make outrage, cynicism, and condescension the language of the left. As a comedian and talk show host, Jon Stewart has been pretty funny. But as a pundit and player in our politics, he’s been a problem. And while I wish him luck in his next move, I’m glad he’s stepping from the stage.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._liberals.html
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

Liked 1,330 Times in 800 Posts

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...211-story.html

Viacom has a short list for Stewart's replacement. But really, there is no one that can do what Jon did. Yes, they put another person in there with all the same props, but it will fall short. Better to just end The Daily Show.

Stewart is 52. He just got taste for filmmaking.

~~8 U.S.C. 1182(f)~~

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

Liked 1,330 Times in 800 Posts

John Oliver, who filled in for Jon while he was making his movie does good investigative exposes, but John, as good as he is, is not as humorous as Jon Stewart.

Here's a great piece that John Oliver did on student debt:

~~8 U.S.C. 1182(f)~~

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

I think Joel McHale would be an interesting choice, but I'm not sure I am ready to dislike him if he's far too slanted.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post
    John Oliver, who filled in for Jon while he was making his movie does good investigative exposes, but John, as good as he is, is not as humorous as Jon Stewart.

Oliver is a dweeb.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rover View Post

Guy is hysterical. He did a great job when Stewart was off filming. I watch his HBO shows regularly.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I think Joel McHale would be an interesting choice, but I'm not sure I am ready to dislike him if he's far too slanted.
    To me it doesn't work. McHale takes himself a bit too seriously...Stewart was great at being light, and conducted good interviews. When I think of McHale doing the job, I'm thinking of his cameo in Ted - and that's what we'd get.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Jon Stewart is a national treasure. .
    Lets not get crazy here. Stewart was a very entertaining guy who delivered jabs to both sides of the political spectrum; clearly with a left slant.

I'm NOT trying to create a political fire fight - but does the right have anyone that does what Stewart does? I'd be curious to see them do this. I'm thinking the closest would be Dennis Miller?

Last Online

Premium Member

I think you'd have to watch Joel McHale in Community to see that he is more than just a snarky, self-important guy. I said earlier I thought it might be Jason Jones, but I could see a dual anchor format with him and Samantha Bee, too.

John Oliver went to the Jon Stewart school of "anchoring." He can be funny even when I disagree with him. It still bothers me that people take their work as truth when often times there is a lot of misinformation in there. I have a close friend who was once a pharmaceutical rep and is now a medical devices rep. Oliver just did a "take down" of doctors and pharmaceutical reps, but as usual there was misinformation or lies by omission.

Anyway, Dennis Miller's problem is that he is too smart for the average person. I don't think many people truly get most of the references he makes.

The closest thing the "right" has is may be Adam Carolla, but he has no interest in a show on politics. He merely approaches things as an "average Joe," on his podcast and sometimes it touches on politics.