Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:31 AM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default Rep. Cummings: People Come to Government To Feed Their Souls

(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Elijah Cummings (DMd.) says, so many people come to government knowing that they are not going to make the kind of money they would make in the private sector but they come to government to feed their souls.

Cummings was speaking in Washington D.C. at the Legislative Conference of the National Treasury Employees Union on February 4th when he made the comments.

People do not seem to understand that so many people come to government knowing that they are not going to make the kind of money that they would make in the private sector but they come to government to feed their souls, Cummings told the audience.

The Maryland Democrat also told union members that getting federal workers a raise higher than the one proposed in President Obamas budget is among his priorities.

So what are my priorities? Whats my reason for being here? Cummings said. My ardent priority is to do whatever I can to help federal workers obtain fair compensation and meaningful pay raises.

President Obamas budget for the next year recommends a 1.3% pay raise for federal employees I believe this is to low. I love the president but I believe this is far too low, far too low.

Thats why I co-sponsored with Representative (Gerry) Connelly (D-Va.) the FAIR Act. Which would raise pay up to 3.8% - even thats too low."

A December 2014 Cato Institute report on federal and private sector worker pay finds, In 2013 federal civilian workers had an average wage of $81,076, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. By comparison, the average wage of the nations 107 million private-sector workers was $55,424.

When benefits like health care and pensions are included, "federal worker compensation averaged $115,524, or 74 percent more than the private-sector average of $66,357."

A 2012 Congressional Budget Office report shows that overall compensation for federal workers is 16% higher than for private sector workers, with private sector workers with bachelors degrees making $7.50 less per hour on average.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...0-FedPay_0.pdf
    http://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cfm...suri=1&903=185
    http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/...ederal-workers

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/eric...ed-their-souls
    "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

if those comparisons are taking all jobs into consideration then they are silly comps.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

My local paper's editor left his post about two years ago. We had elected a new 1st district supervisor in my county. He filled up his staffing positions. But then he created a "special assistant" position that didn't exist before and hired the editor of the local paper. His compensation was published in the paper--$164,000 per year in total compensation. Now, we have 5 district supervisors in the county and each have a staff. This got me thinking--if a created, extra position can receive that much in compensation, what the hell are the rest of the staff and the supervisors making?

Well, the same year, a measure was passed limiting their compensation. It's a part-time job. Their wages equal $150,000 roughly. Total compensation, if the breakdown of the "special advisor" compensation is any indicator, is probably around $200,000. For a part-time job.

I know a local teacher who also owns a local business. The teacher is maxed out on the salary scale with a Master's degree, so this person is making roughly $80,000 a year just from teaching. This particular teacher has other government income. This person also does very well in the private sector. The students do packet work while the teacher works on their business affairs at his/her desk

So there are government employees who are stealing money from us.

That said, government tends to hire better educated people. SoCal Edison isn't government, but it is a monopoly. Some of you know my fiance was laid off last October. She started a new job last month as a regulatory compliance manager at Edison. She has her BA in Mechanical Engineering, but every single one of the people she is in charge of has a Master's. So just based on this, I am sure it's true that government employees have more education.

When accounting for educational differences, benefits, and experience, public sector employees make about 7% less than their private counterparts. Problem is that apples to apples comparisons are not possible.

The question is if that education is necessary for the jobs or if the government hires them because they can, having access to the public's money. Those who get a higher education or go to more prestigious universities expect more compensation, so it makes sense that they would want more money. Public budgets don't have the same constraints as private ones.

That said, CEO salaries might be skewing the private side. But the big thing is that public jobs have job security that private jobs do not. The above teacher, no matter how little teaching he or she does, cannot get fired for poor job performance. Those in the private sector get fired all the time. So maybe the job security is worth any possible slight in salary?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    My local paper's editor left his post about two years ago. We had elected a new 1st district supervisor in my county. He filled up his staffing positions. But then he created a "special assistant" position that didn't exist before and hired the editor of the local paper. His compensation was published in the paper--$164,000 per year in total compensation. Now, we have 5 district supervisors in the county and each have a staff. This got me thinking--if a created, extra position can receive that much in compensation, what the hell are the rest of the staff and the supervisors making?

Well, the same year, a measure was passed limiting their compensation. It's a part-time job. Their wages equal $150,000 roughly. Total compensation, if the breakdown of the "special advisor" compensation is any indicator, is probably around $200,000. For a part-time job.

I know a local teacher who also owns a local business. The teacher is maxed out on the salary scale with a Master's degree, so this person is making roughly $80,000 a year just from teaching. This particular teacher has other government income. This person also does very well in the private sector. The students do packet work while the teacher works on their business affairs at his/her desk

So there are government employees who are stealing money from us.

That said, government tends to hire better educated people. SoCal Edison isn't government, but it is a monopoly. Some of you know my fiance was laid off last October. She started a new job last month as a regulatory compliance manager at Edison. She has her BA in Mechanical Engineering, but every single one of the people she is in charge of has a Master's. So just based on this, I am sure it's true that government employees have more education.

When accounting for educational differences, benefits, and experience, public sector employees make about 7% less than their private counterparts. Problem is that apples to apples comparisons are not possible.

The question is if that education is necessary for the jobs or if the government hires them because they can, having access to the public's money. Those who get a higher education or go to more prestigious universities expect more compensation, so it makes sense that they would want more money. Public budgets don't have the same constraints as private ones.

That said, CEO salaries might be skewing the private side. But the big thing is that public jobs have job security that private jobs do not. The above teacher, no matter how little teaching he or she does, cannot get fired for poor job performance. Those in the private sector get fired all the time. So maybe the job security is worth any possible slight in salary?
    Which Edison location does she work at? My friend has that exact same position in Rosemead
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Pomona

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:47 AM
    Liked 18,068 Times in 8,926 Posts

Statistics can be manipulated.

Averages, means, standard deviations are sometimes used interchangeably when they are in fact different.

And he was speaking to a union of federal employees, of course he's going to pander to them. They all do it. The smart ones in the audience knew they were being pandered to, the idiots lapped it up.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!