Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Default Any hidden suprises on the upcoming VH releases ?

It seems like a few of us are excited for the recent news of a live VH cd and remasters of the older albums . There also seem to be several who are less than thrilled . Disappointed even ...

I own some cds for example , where there are 'hidden' or 'bonus' tracks that are not listed on the outer cover and/or linear notes . Any chance the new VH discs might contain such a surprise ??? Live cd with an accompanying dvd - track listing would be the same , so no need to have duplicate titles , right ? Haha . Wishful thinking perhaps ...

Also , like MANY other new cds lately -- could the new VH one(s) have a coupon/code to redeem towards other material ie: rare goodies etc ? Just curious ...

Trying to bridge the gap between being very pumped for this new stuff , and wondering why this 'is all' we're getting . Considering the wait and Dave's announcement . Not to mention that their PR dept. most surely reads this forum . They can SEE what we want and how anxious we are for it
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:33 PM
    Liked 7,619 Times in 3,996 Posts

Sadly, i doubt it.

We will get the bare minimum, while Zeppelin & Rush fans get more than they can listen to.
    Even back in the day, with an album like Diver Down (which i love, btw), you'd get like 29
    minutes of music.

Using that as an example, they could have easily added something like "Big Trouble" on there,
    to fill the record.
    Great song, would have fit well, they had a short album for release, but VH said, "Nah...."

Despite six stellar albums (guess which?) and one really good one (ADKOT), they
    always left you scratching your head, at times.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:22 AM
    Liked 1,860 Times in 814 Posts

I doubt it, this is a WYSIWYG scenario. No surprises, no adds, just a live CD
    I'm hoping that there will be a follow up maybe next year, but I'm not holding my breathe

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    It seems like a few of us are excited for the recent news of a live VH cd and remasters of the older albums . There also seem to be several who are less than thrilled . Disappointed even ...

I own some cds for example , where there are 'hidden' or 'bonus' tracks that are not listed on the outer cover and/or linear notes . Any chance the new VH discs might contain such a surprise ??? Live cd with an accompanying dvd - track listing would be the same , so no need to have duplicate titles , right ? Haha . Wishful thinking perhaps ...

Also , like MANY other new cds lately -- could the new VH one(s) have a coupon/code to redeem towards other material ie: rare goodies etc ? Just curious ...

Trying to bridge the gap between being very pumped for this new stuff , and wondering why this 'is all' we're getting . Considering the wait and Dave's announcement . Not to mention that their PR dept. most surely reads this forum . They can SEE what we want and how anxious we are for it
    hard to tell the split (excited vs. disappointed). Here it is probably be high on disappointment with superfans and from many of the posts.

I just think they could've turned it around with just a little effort adding a bonus here or there. LIVE record should include 2 new studio songs (maybe ADKOT leftovers?). That would totally make **everyone** happy and also really encourage buying the thing.

But yeah pretty sure there's no secret surprise coming w this.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 02.07.15 at 01:53 PM.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

No.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    hard to tell the split (excited vs. disappointed). Here it is probably be high on disappointment with superfans and from many of the posts.

I just think they could've turned it around with just a little effort adding a bonus here or there. LIVE record should include 2 new studio songs (maybe ADKOT leftovers?). That would totally make **everyone** happy and also really encourage buying the thing.

But yeah pretty sure there's no secret surprise coming w this.
    You nailed it, i think.

Tag on a couple new cuts, a nice way for radio to promote the live record, and everyone feels
    somewhat fulfilled.

What if years later, we discover the hidden bonus track was all the unused tracks from the ADKOT sessions.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Wow , tough crowd ... Joking
    I kind of feel the same . Not expecting any surprises with the new cds , just hoping out loud , I guess .

VH have been known to throw us a few sliders and curveballs in the past though ...
    If this new product keeps them touring and together , then I'm all for it . Hope it leads to more studio releases - sooner than later , although I'm not holding my breath .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Maybe they'll announce that Jimmy Page has remastered the original albums, and we'll have a choice of
    Standard, deluxe & limited edition versions of each album.

"...and, mate, if ya buy the deluxe remaster of Fair Warning, the companion disc is the Oakland set."

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I wish, but it ain't happenin'.

thismusicsux really nailed it, two ADKOT leftovers on the live CD would've been so awesome.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

I'm going to buy the vinyl box edition as well. That way it will feel like I'm getting three double live albums instead of just one.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Maybe they'll announce that Jimmy Page has remastered the original albums, and we'll have a choice of
    Standard, deluxe & limited edition versions of each album.

"...and, mate, if ya buy the deluxe remaster of Fair Warning, the companion disc is the Oakland set."
    yeah another pretty simple addition... the Remasters should include bonus DVD of the music vids from each year or something. But guess we'll wait for proper box set type releases later ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I'm going to buy the vinyl box edition as well. That way it will feel like I'm getting three double live albums instead of just one.
    hahaha... good way to look at it ;-)

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

On Fire
    Last Online

04.23.17 @ 08:53 PM
    Liked 140 Times in 72 Posts

Michael Anthony is back! (on the six pack)

Had to beat EC before he said it

22. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

<-----------------------------------------pretty much disappointed in this remastered, remaster. Seems like its strictly a copout and fleecing of the VH fan base. VH could offer their fans......................................better. But, I'm not a Ed or Al apologist unlike a few of the cheerleaders in this forum. I'm happy for those who view this as a, 'OMG' moment in VH history, but I just see it as shitty business as usual.
    With hope, the live Tokyo album will have some bang for it's buck, but by judging by the very best YT video of Tokyo, it really isn't all that magical. Maybe the soundboard captured something great that video doesn't.

Like I said, I will not support purchasing something over again that I don't need. I already have it. But, I hope the remastered x 2 or is 3 now, truly brings what they're promising.

VH could do SO much better, Case Closed!!!!!!!!!!

HH<--------Saving $$$ in 2015------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Don't get me wrong.I love any live CD release but if it's from 2013 ya better be working on releasing the old stuff too.

To answer the question, na, no alternative takes or whatever. Honestly, at this point I could care less about those. Those aren't something I would listen to all the time. I WANT THE FUCKIN' OAKLAND SHOW....NOW!!!!!

25. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Don't get me wrong.I love any live CD release but if it's from 2013 ya better be working on releasing the old stuff too.

To answer the question, na, no alternative takes or whatever. Honestly, at this point I could care less about those. Those aren't something I would listen to all the time. I WANT THE FUCKIN' OAKLAND SHOW....NOW!!!!!

Ya know it's funny, as much as I want a cool box set with demo/outtakes ... not sure how much I would listen to those in the end. I have some from other bands like that and kinda gets a 1x listen. But then again with VH it would be quite different.

Also, many things I've heard more recently leads me to believe only 3 songs were filmed at Oakland 81. Maybe they have more audio only, but I've pretty much given up hope that there is more video footage from that.