Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Brian Williams is a lying TURD

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...644_story.html

Brian Williams admitted that his oft-repeated story about coming under attack in Iraq in 2003 was not true. (Matt Sayles/AP)
    By Paul Farhi February 4 at 8:50 PM

NBC News anchor Brian Williams conceded on Wednesday that a story he had told about being under fire while covering the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was false.

Williams said he was not aboard a helicopter that was hit by enemy fire and forced down — a story he retold as recently as last week during a televised tribute to a retired soldier during a New York Rangers hockey game.

On “NBC Nightly News” Wednesday evening, Williams read a 50-second statement apologizing for his characterization of the episode.

“After a groundfire incident in the desert during the Iraq war invasion, I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago,” he said. “It did not take long to hear from some brave men and women in the air crews who were also in that desert. I want to apologize. I said I was traveling in an aircraft that was hit by [rocket-propelled grenade] fire. I was instead in a following aircraft. . . . This was a bungled attempt by me to thank one special veteran and, by extension, our brave military men and women, veterans everywhere, those who have served while I did not.”

The admission is a rare black mark for Williams, a poised, veteran newsman who has anchored NBC’s signature newscast since 2004 and has endeared himself to non-news audiences through appearances on “30 Rock,” “The Tonight Show” and other entertainment programs.

Brian Williams admitted that his oft-repeated story about coming under attack in Iraq in 2003 was not true. (Matt Sayles/AP)

NBC News anchor Brian Williams conceded on Wednesday that a story he had told about being under fire while covering the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was false.

Williams said he was not aboard a helicopter that was hit by enemy fire and forced down — a story he retold as recently as last week during a televised tribute to a retired soldier during a New York Rangers hockey game.

On “NBC Nightly News” Wednesday evening, Williams read a 50-second statement apologizing for his characterization of the episode.

“After a groundfire incident in the desert during the Iraq war invasion, I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago,” he said. “It did not take long to hear from some brave men and women in the air crews who were also in that desert. I want to apologize. I said I was traveling in an aircraft that was hit by [rocket-propelled grenade] fire. I was instead in a following aircraft. . . . This was a bungled attempt by me to thank one special veteran and, by extension, our brave military men and women, veterans everywhere, those who have served while I did not.”

The admission is a rare black mark for Williams, a poised, veteran newsman who has anchored NBC’s signature newscast since 2004 and has endeared himself to non-news audiences through appearances on “30 Rock,” “The Tonight Show” and other entertainment programs.

On Feb. 4, NBC News anchor Brian Williams apologized for falsely reporting a story about coming under fire while covering the invasion of Iraq in 2003.(YouTube.com/Michael Rusch)

At least in the short term, the false story may damage the anchor’s most valuable asset — his credibility. NBC has not said whether he will face discipline for perpetuating the false story.

Williams’s apology came after the Stars and Stripes newspaper contacted crew members of the Chinook helicopter that Williams had said he was aboard when it was hit by two rockets and small-arms fire. They said that Williams was not aboard the aircraft during the incident at the onset of the war in March 2003. They said Williams arrived on another, undamaged helicopter an hour after the crippled Chinook had landed.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams told the newspaper. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”

In the hockey broadcast last week, Williams told viewers, “The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq when the helicopter we were traveling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG. Our traveling NBC News team was rescued, surrounded and kept alive by an armor mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry.”

Williams’s claim of surviving an air attack bothered several soldiers familiar with air operations at the time, including Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Miller, who was the flight engineer on the helicopter that carried the NBC News crew. “No, we never came under direct enemy fire to the aircraft,” he told the newspaper. The soldier’s complaints prompted Williams to issue his first apology Wednesday afternoon on the “NBC Nightly News” Facebook page.

“I spent much of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy,” Williams wrote. “I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in ’08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing just above the ramp.”

On Feb. 4, NBC News anchor Brian Williams apologized for falsely reporting a story about coming under fire while covering the invasion of Iraq in 2003.(YouTube.com/Michael Rusch)

At least in the short term, the false story may damage the anchor’s most valuable asset — his credibility. NBC has not said whether he will face discipline for perpetuating the false story.

Williams’s apology came after the Stars and Stripes newspaper contacted crew members of the Chinook helicopter that Williams had said he was aboard when it was hit by two rockets and small-arms fire. They said that Williams was not aboard the aircraft during the incident at the onset of the war in March 2003. They said Williams arrived on another, undamaged helicopter an hour after the crippled Chinook had landed.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams told the newspaper. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”

In the hockey broadcast last week, Williams told viewers, “The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq when the helicopter we were traveling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG. Our traveling NBC News team was rescued, surrounded and kept alive by an armor mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry.”

Williams’s claim of surviving an air attack bothered several soldiers familiar with air operations at the time, including Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Miller, who was the flight engineer on the helicopter that carried the NBC News crew. “No, we never came under direct enemy fire to the aircraft,” he told the newspaper. The soldier’s complaints prompted Williams to issue his first apology Wednesday afternoon on the “NBC Nightly News” Facebook page.

“I spent much of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy,” Williams wrote. “I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in ’08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing just above the ramp.”

In this NBC News segment, Brian Williams recounts the story of coming under fire while covering the invasion of Iraq in 2003. The anchor has recently recanted the story.(YouTube.com/NBC News)

He added, “Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience (we all saw it happened the first time) and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area — and the fog of memory over 12 years — made me conflate the two, and I apologize.”

He continued, “Nobody’s trying to steal anyone’s valor. Quite the contrary: I was and remain a civilian journalist covering the stories of those who volunteered for duty.”

The episode dates to a report by Williams on March 26, 2003. During the prime-time “Dateline NBC,” he recounted the dangers faced by U.S. helicopters. But in that broadcast, he noted that the helicopter that was hit was not the one he was aboard. Over footage of a damaged Chinook, he said. “That hole was made by a rocket- grenade, or RPG. It punched cleanly through the skin of the ship, but amazingly it didn’t detonate. . . . We learned [the helicopter] was shot at by some of those waving civilians.”

But over the years, the story began to morph into an incident that involved Williams himself.

Williams has told the helicopter-under-fire story before. In a 2013 appearance on David Letterman’s talk show, he said, “Two of the four helicopters were hit, by ground fire, including the one I was in, RPG and AK-47.”

A somewhat ambiguous recounting appears in “Operation Iraqi Freedom: The Inside Story,” a book written by NBC Enterprises in 2003. That account has Williams in the helicopter and details such as the grenade round grazing a crewman’s face.

It’s unclear in the book which Chinook Williams was riding in, but he comments: “There was some symbolism in all of this. A Vietnam-era RPG going clean through the tail of a ­Vietnam-era Chinook helicopter.” And a caption describes a photo taken inside a helicopter, saying “With NBC anchor Brian Williams . . . aboard, Army Chinook helicopters are forced to make a desert landing after being attacked by Iraqi Fedayeen.”

Lance Reynolds, the flight engineer on the Chinook that was hit, told Stars and Stripes: “It was something personal for us that was kind of life-changing for me. I know how lucky I was to survive it. It felt like a personal experience that someone else wanted to participate in and didn’t deserve to participate in.”

Reynolds told the newspaper that Williams and the NBC cameramen arrived in a helicopter 30 to 60 minutes after his damaged Chinook made a rolling landing at an Iraqi airfield and skidded off the runway into the desert.

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 8,767 Times in 4,744 Posts

Premium Member

Typical lib "journalist" hack...

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

I don't think him being a liberal has anything to do with it.

But it is an unfortunate lie, not sure why he would do it, he's old enough to know better. He's had a tough couple of weeks, his daughter getting her ass eaten out on HBO, now this.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Oh Big Deal, he was just following Hillary Clinton's lead on her trip to Bosnia where she claimed to be under sniper fire when video showed otherwise.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...g-under-sniper

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

When he says he was in the chopper behind the one that got hit, immediately you think "Oh, well maybe he got confused or some debris hit their chopper."

However, it turns out that chopper was an hour behind the one that got shot down.

Dumbass.

And yes, this immediately made me think of Hillary Clinton and her daring escape from sniper fire...that never happened.

These aren't mistakes in the mind. You don't mix up the details when it involves you almost dying from gunfire. Those memories tend to stick pretty hard.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 7,884 Times in 4,610 Posts

Premium Member

He wanted that street cred. Dumbass.

It's insulting, to journalists like Bob Woodruff imo...

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I forgot about Hillary lying about that.

I am sure she will get a free pass on it though.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 8,767 Times in 4,744 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't think him being a liberal has anything to do with it.

But it is an unfortunate lie, not sure why he would do it, he's old enough to know better. He's had a tough couple of weeks, his daughter getting her ass eaten out on HBO, now this.
    Lol, never heard about his daughter. Really? Lmao.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

But wait Bush lied......

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Lol, never heard about his daughter. Really? Lmao.
    That TV show Girls. She's pretty. I could never watch that show, but I did read about him reacting to it, that's what makes front page news anymore.

Analingus, it's what for dinner.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I forgot about Hillary lying about that.

I am sure she will get a free pass on it though.
    She already did, just like the press gives her a free pass on all her lies and deceit.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    But wait Bush lied......
    Yes he did. Doesn't make what Williams did any better, or Hillary. Nothing more can be said about Bush that hasn't already been said.

He was one of the worst Presidents this country has ever had, I firmly believe that.

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

wasn't CNN caught totally fabricating their reporters being in the middle of enemy fire during the first gulf war?

this stuff happens all the time, this guy just got caught cause he's an idiot.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    When he says he was in the chopper behind the one that got hit, immediately you think "Oh, well maybe he got confused or some debris hit their chopper."

However, it turns out that chopper was an hour behind the one that got shot down.

Dumbass.

And yes, this immediately made me think of Hillary Clinton and her daring escape from sniper fire...that never happened.

These aren't mistakes in the mind. You don't mix up the details when it involves you almost dying from gunfire. Those memories tend to stick pretty hard.
    Exactly. It's never happened to me, but I can guarantee you any man free of brain damage remembers in vivid detail whether his helicopter was hit by an RPG.

I've been in a couple of car wrecks, and I will bet the incomes of every person on this board that I would never confuse being an hour behind the car that crashed with being IN the crash itself.

TK

22. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

blatant stuff here and there is a lot more of this going on.

he never gets called out on it but Anderson Cooper has done this kind of thing a few times over the course of his career.