Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Huckabee says gay marriage is just like alcohol or profanity

WASHINGTON — Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee on Sunday said being gay is akin to choosing to drink alcohol or use profanity — lifestyle choices that he says are appealing to others but not to him.

The former Baptist pastor, who is weighing a second run for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, also claimed that forcing people of faith to accept gay marriage as policy is on par with telling Jews that they must serve “bacon-wrapped shrimp in their deli.”

That dish would run afoul of kosher rules in the same way Huckabee sees asking Christians to accept same-sex marriages.

“We’re so sensitive to make sure we don’t offend certain religions, but then we act like Christians can’t have the convictions that they have had for over 2,000 years,” Huckabee said.

Huckabee has made cultural issues the cornerstone of his likely White House bid. The former Baptist pastor is counting on social conservatives and evangelicals who have great clout in early-nominating Iowa to help him.
    His comments about gays and lesbians seem targeted at the conservative corners of his party.

Yet he also included a pitch for inclusion in his remarks.

Huckabee said he appreciates different viewpoints on gay marriage, adding that he has gay friends.

“I accept a lot of people as friends maybe whose lifestyle I don’t necessarily adhere to, agree with or practice. Doesn’t mean that I can’t have a good relationship with anyone or lead them or govern them,” Huckabee said.

But he remained steadfastly opposed to rights for gays and lesbians, although research has found a biological basis for their attraction to others of the same sex.

“I don’t chuck people out of my circle or out of my life because they have a different point of view. I don’t drink alcohol, but, gosh, a lot of my friends, maybe most of them, do. You know, I don’t use profanity, but, believe me, I have got a lot of friends who do,” Huckabee said.

“Some people really like classical music and ballet and opera. It’s not my cup of tea.

I would like to think that there’s room in America for people who have different points of views without screaming, shouting and wanting to shut their businesses down.”

Such rhetoric is central to Huckabee’s efforts to engage social conservatives.
    In recent weeks, Huckabee has picked fights with the White House over President Barack Obama’s friendship with Beyoncé Knowles. Huckabee says the Obama daughters should not treat the entertainer as a role model because she is overly sexual.

In his latest book, Huckabee also says Beyonce’s husband, rapper Jay Z, is more of a “pimp” than a spouse.

Huckabee spoke on CNN’s “State of the Union.”

http://nypost.com/2015/02/01/huckabe...-or-profanity/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 7,842 Times in 4,578 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    although research has found a biological basis for their attraction to others of the same sex.
    This is news to me.

They've identified the "gay" gene?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 2,233 Times in 1,351 Posts

I agree with the point that to ask a fundamentalist Christian to accept gay marriage is wrong to a point...the point being "define accept"

can you ask them to accept laws that permit gay marriage? absolutely, that is what separation of church and state is...and just as you accept that the constitution protects your practice of your religion, you have to accept that it also protects others beliefs

can you ask them to accept gay marriage in that they have to participate in the wedding such as the wedding photographer who was sued? I believe NO. You can demand that someone allow others their freedom on one hand them forcing someone else to participate in an event that goes against their religious beliefs on the other

i don't think this is an all or nothing proposition

as for the statement that being gay is a choice like drinking alcohol or smoking, I just can't believe that people still would say that in 2015. As a gay friend in college said "who would CHOOSE to be ridiculed, beaten, shamed, rejected and discriminated against?" Gay people are gay, how they are "made" that way is still not understood, but it's not a choice.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    This is news to me.

They've identified the "gay" gene?
    You do know that people are born gay right?

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 16,525 Times in 9,367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Has this been proven?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Has this been proven?
    Are you kidding with this question or do you really think that every gay person on the planet has made a "lifestyle choice".

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

I wonder how Huckabee has made it this long being forced to accept profanity and alcohol. Or does he want those banned?

They might be born gay without a gay gene existing. Jason and Jarron Collins show us that. Identical twins, one gay, same DNA.

Sure, genetics are more complicated than DNA, but genetics can change for a myriad of reasons. It's not as simple as "that one got the gay gene."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Sauce showed up. What's the over/under on this getting closed down vs. moved to Political Underground?

Randumb thoughts:
    1. No, it hasn't been proven that one is "born" gay.
    2. I agree with most of what Daisy has to say. Good stuff, lady!
    3. Well...I don't know what to believe about the whole "born gay/becoming gay" thing. I know gay folks that claim either one.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I wonder how Huckabee has made it this long being forced to accept profanity and alcohol. Or does he want those banned?

They might be born gay without a gay gene existing. Jason and Jarron Collins show us that. Identical twins, one gay, same DNA.

Sure, genetics are more complicated than DNA, but genetics can change for a myriad of reasons. It's not as simple as "that one got the gay gene."
    I am saying that there is more to it than any sort of gay gene. I am just hoping that people at this forum are past the point of thinking that gay people are just living a lifestyle choice.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I am saying that there is more to it than any sort of gay gene. I am just hoping that people at this forum are past the point of thinking that gay people are just living a lifestyle choice.
    It's like trying to figure out if someone is born a troll or if they choose to become one.

12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Are you kidding with this question or do you really think that every gay person on the planet has made a "lifestyle choice".

*edit*
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Has this been proven?
    Really? You are about to lose your credibility. If you think for one minute that being staright, bi, or gay comes from social conditioning, then you are seriously undereducated. Damn.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I agree with the point that to ask a fundamentalist Christian to accept gay marriage is wrong to a point...the point being "define accept"

can you ask them to accept laws that permit gay marriage? absolutely, that is what. separation of church and state is...and just as you accept that the constitution protects your practice of your religion, you have to accept that it also protects others beliefs

can you ask them to accept gay marriage in that they have to participate in the wedding such as the wedding photographer who was sued? I believe NO. You can demand that someone allow others their freedom on one hand them forcing someone else to participate in an event that goes against their religious beliefs on the other

i don't think this is an all or nothing proposition

as for the statement that being gay is a choice like drinking alcohol or smoking, I just can't believe that people still would say that in 2015. As a gay friend in college said "who would CHOOSE to be ridiculed, beaten, shamed, rejected and discriminated against?" Gay people are gay, how they are "made" that way is still not understood, but it's not a choice.
    Hearts and minds change slowly; therefore, progressive law and government enforcement of said law is necessary in countering ignorance and reshaping cultural norms. As for people such as the photographer who is opposed to the humane treatment and consideration of their fellow traveler, people can hurt their feelings by hurting their bottom line.
    Last edited by Redfoot; 02.02.15 at 08:09 PM.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

I never hear anybody talking about the "straight" gene.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Can you ask redneck racists to really accept African Americans and Jews dining in their restaurants or patronizing their businesses or being buried in their cemeteries? This is a civil rights issue. No, it is a human rights issue, Daisy.
    I don't think Jews would mind not being buried in a cemetery if it conflicts with other people's religious views. There are Jewish cemeteries that won't bury Jews that intentionally got tattoos.