Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Do GOP Candidates Have To Kiss Roger Ailes' Ring To Become A Frontrunner?

Reliable Sources host Brian Stelter asked Sunday morning just how much influence NewsCorp owner Rupert Murdoch and Fox News president Roger Ailes have over selecting the GOP frontrunner.

The question isn’t too far out there — many cite Murdoch’s dislike of Romney cooled the station’s coverage of the 20123 candidate, and claimed Murdoch was giving Romney an icy glare last week as he briefly considered a third term.

“Roger Ailes controls the largest block of reliable Republican voters,” said Gabriel Sherman, author of a book on Ailes and Fox News. “These candidates are already courting Ailes, trying to get on his good side, to try to get reliable coverage going into primary season.”

“If you want to be a Republican frontrunner,” Sherman said, “you gotta get the prime spots on Fox, you gotta get the prime bookings, and Ailes is that ring you need to kiss.”

Conservative commentator Matt Lewis thought this was nonsense. “In terms of them having some sort of conspiracy to help boost one candidate or another — look, if [the Fox brass] had their way the Republican Party would be a pro-immigration party right now.”

But the Times article linked to above did note that Murdoch has ways of influencing the primary, drawing attention to longshot candidates like Ben Carson, or swooning over Jeb Bush.

Last edited by Hot Sauce; 02.01.15 at 10:17 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Don't forget about Sheldon Adelson...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

If this were true, wouldn't Huckabee be the frontrunner? Murdoch and Ailes have given him more time than any other candidate. He has his own show and contributes to the others.

Besides, Fox News' daytime news sees about 1.3 million viewers, which pales in comparison to conservative radio. Prime time, the numbers jump, but I am guessing O'Reilly and Kelly, the only two who really matter in prime time, pretty much book whom they want to book. So this would have to be occurring during daytime.

I'm guessing that some conservative radio hosts have more listeners per week than Fox News daytime does each week.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

Roger Ailes is from all accounts a despicable man.

He can obviously however generate ratings, and I am sure in an honest moment NBC is upset they let him go. I don't think he truly considers Huckabee, Santorum, Gingrich and others he gives lots of air time to as Presidential candidates, he just knows what his viewership wants.

That being said, I am sure being on his good side would not hurt a right leaning candidate.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

I mostly mentioned Huckabee to sort of show that airtime on Fox News does not necessarily mean that Ailes or Murdoch are supporting that candidate.

Thing about Ailes and Fox News/Business is that he has given libertarians a place to speak. Rand Paul gets a lot of air time simply because the station employs/employed John Stossel, Matt Welch, and Kennedy.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    If this were true, wouldn't Huckabee be the frontrunner? Murdoch and Ailes have given him more time than any other candidate. He has his own show and contributes to the others.

Besides, Fox News' daytime news sees about 1.3 million viewers, which pales in comparison to conservative radio. Prime time, the numbers jump, but I am guessing O'Reilly and Kelly, the only two who really matter in prime time, pretty much book whom they want to book. So this would have to be occurring during daytime.

I'm guessing that some conservative radio hosts have more listeners per week than Fox News daytime does each week.
    No - even Fox News knows that Huckabee has a zero chance to win. Their chosen one will be someone who actually has some sort of shot at winning.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 18,129 Times in 8,953 Posts

I don't think the Republican candidate or nominee has presented him or herself yet.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

Point is, while I am sure favorable coverage on Fox helps, it doesn't get any more favorable than Huckabee. He got his own show and appeared on other programs as a commentator. That's more than any other nominee got.

Again, I don't think Ailes and Murdoch have the influence that they are inferring. During the day, Fox News has fewer viewers than influential Republican radio hosts have listeners, except maybe The Five. So those radio hosts actually control a larger block of Republican voters.

In prime time, though, while the numbers go way up for O'Reilly and Kelly, I don't see Ailes or Murdoch exerting editorial control over the content, favorable or unfavorable, regarding anything, much less potential candidates, on those shows. I imagine, other than some sort of apology over something, Kelly and O'Reilly have the final say on anything on their shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't think the Republican candidate or nominee has presented him or herself yet.
    So you're saying it won't be Trump?