Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Default Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists
    Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published that confirms what we all suspected: Internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response.

What kind of person would do this? Some Canadian researchers decided to find out.

They conducted two online studies with over 1,200 people, giving personality tests to each subject along with a survey about their Internet commenting behavior. They were looking for evidence that linked trolling with the "Dark Tetrad" of personality traits: narcissism, Machiavellianism, psychopathy, and sadism.

They found that Dark Tetrad scores were highest among people who said trolling was their favorite Internet activity. To get an idea of how much more prevalent these traits were among Internet trolls, see this figure from the paper:

Look at how low the Dark Tetrad scores are for everyone except the trolls! Their scores for all four traits soar on the chart. The relationship between trolling and the Dark Tetrad is so significant that the authors write in their paper:

"... the associations between sadism and GAIT (Global Assessment of Internet Trolling) scores were so strong that it might be said that online trolls are prototypical everyday sadists."

Trolls truly enjoy making you feel bad. To quote the authors once more (because this is a truly quotable article): "Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!"

The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:

1. These trolls are some truly difficult people.
    2. It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

Time

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

From the Time link:

Those three character flaws make up the ominous “Dark Tetrad of personality.” Sadism means delighting in the harm of others, psychopathy is an antisocial personality disorder, and Machiavellianism means a person’s tendency to be unemotional and deceitful. Trolls seem to have all three on lock.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Wow!
    I know trolls like to disrupt, or get a reaction, but dude! That's pretty fucked up.
    This fits every aspect of what we just witnessed here to a tee. Not your casual shit stirrer.
    When I saw the thread he had posted this morning, it actually gave me a bit of a shiver up my spine. I knew then we were dealing with a pretty strange individual that really takes things to the level of obsession to post something like that in blatant disregard, and whoever locked that thread up...Thank you!
    Kind of disturbing really.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.30.15 at 10:57 AM.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

As they say in the mental health industry..."he has issues".
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Wow!
    I know trolls like to disrupt, or get a reaction, but dude! That's pretty fucked up.
    This fits every aspect of what we just witnessed here to a tee. Not your casual shit stirrer.
    When I saw the thread he had posted this morning, it actually gave me a bit of a shiver up my spine. I knew then we were dealing with a pretty strange individual that really takes things to the level of obsession to post something like that in blatant disregard, and whoever locked that thread up...Thank you!
    A bit late to the party - I had to work today . What did I miss ? Sounds intense ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    A bit late to the party - I had to work today . What did I miss ? Sounds intense ...
    Me too..though it was an early day. Oh.. You know. Were a bunch of uptight right wing religious fucktards. The usual. Lol. And he is putting his foot down as to which threads I should read or frequent. Had no idea he was a mod. Must be an honorary position. He is better than Christ after all. At least according to him. I guess mod status is implied. let's see....that's about it.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.30.15 at 05:21 PM.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Wow!
    I find it quite interesting that in your world - a study that numerous major media sources covered is so offensive to you because it was posted here.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    I find it quite interesting that in your world - a study that numerous major media sources covered is so offensive to you because it was posted here.
    The study doesn't offend me at all. I didn't close your thread. Your behavior and narcissism offends me. Nothing more. Obviously amod had the same reaction. You did it to bait another shit storm. To berate. I'll defend this place to the end.
    your trolling I could not give two shits about. You start belittling people here, you get called out. Learn how we converse, what's appropriate to post, and how to actually debate in this type of forum....we're right as rain.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.30.15 at 05:34 PM.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:49 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Me too..though it was an early day. Oh.. You know. Were a bunch of uptight right wing religious fucktards. The usual. Lol. And he is putting his foot down as to which threads I should read or frequent. Had no idea he was a mod. Must be an honorary position. He is better than Christ after all. At least according to him. I guess mod status is implied. let's see....that's about it.
    Wow ... busy morning on the Links and business as usual !? Haha

Thanks for the reply . I was just curious as to what the hubbub was about . To be perfectly honest - I thought it was directed at someone else entirely
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

If you have a problem with my beliefs or my defense of this forum, pm me from here on. I'd be thrilled to tell you what I think off the board.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Given all the weirdness .... does this fit?

kind of describes the threads today.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.30.15 at 06:22 PM.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

20. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I'm just shocked you didn't post the Washington Post article refuting the study as having academic bias.

You know, that right wing newspaper the Washington Post.

You only posted it to start a shit storm, because that is who you are, a little troll with a little brain.

And thankfully, we won't have to deal with you much longer.