Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:57 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Are the traditional broadcast networks still relevant?

I heard an industry insider on the radio say that Norman Lear is pitching a One Day at a Time remake to the broadcast networks. I hardly watch the traditional broadcast networks for anything other than maybe sports or one or two sitcoms. Are those networks even all that relevant now? Everything I watch is time-shifted, usually shows recorded from FX and AMC, or stuff on Netflix and Amazon.

Lear had a talent for producing entertaining shows: All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, Good Times, Maude, Different Strokes, Facts of Life, etc. They were all successful shows, but I wonder that if the number of outlets that we have today had been available back then, would those shows have enjoyed the same kind of success?

1. What do you watch from ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX?

2. What would it take for a remake of an old broadcast TV sitcom to succeed today?

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

I run a pc or a device into every TV now. Other than sports and news I have not watched a normal broadcast in years.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 6,823 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

I dropped cable channels over a year and a half ago to save money and have relied on basic cable (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, PBS) and netflix in the mail. I DVR everything though and watch when and what I want. Maybe I'll list the shows I record when I get home later. Not a long list but it fills the bill and I never miss cable at all.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    I heard an industry insider on the radio say that Norman Lear is pitching a One Day at a Time remake to the broadcast networks. I hardly watch the traditional broadcast networks for anything other than maybe sports or one or two sitcoms. Are those networks even all that relevant now? Everything I watch is time-shifted, usually shows recorded from FX and AMC, or stuff on Netflix and Amazon.

Lear had a talent for producing entertaining shows: All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, Good Times, Maude, Different Strokes, Facts of Life, etc. They were all successful shows, but I wonder that if the number of outlets that we have today had been available back then, would those shows have enjoyed the same kind of success?

1. What do you watch from ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX?

2. What would it take for a remake of an old broadcast TV sitcom to succeed today?
    I had a conversation a year or so ago with my cousin regarding time shifted viewing (aka DVRing a show). I was under the impression this was ubiquitous at this point. I don't know anyone who doesn't do it. But while half of all homes with a TV have a DVR, live viewing still accounts for nearly 80% of all viewing. I was very surprised by that.

So having not worried about ratings for anything other than 'will the show I like get renewed,' I hadn't looked at a top 25 list in what seemed like forever. In the most recent list, not one cable show cracked the top 25 in either total viewers or the demo. Walking Dead, when it comes back, should appear there, but other than that, the list surprised me. This is especially true because 100 million homes have some sort of cable or satellite TV.

To answer the questions you proposed, first, I think quality programs almost always have a shot. There are always exceptions, but look at a show like Community on NBC. The ratings were never there, but NBC kept it around because of the fan dedication and quality. Eventually, it had to go, but then Yahoo picked it up and it's 6th and perhaps final season will be online. So if Lear's programs were good in an atmosphere like today, there would be some avenue to get the content to the viewer.

As far as what shows I watch on networks, I watch Gotham on Fox, though I am super behind, Modern Family on ABC, Hawaii 5-O on CBS (I've nearly given up on it; I only watch it as background now), I watch(ed) Parenthood on NBC, which ended last night. If Fox keeps putting out 24s, I will keep watching. Them. To wrap it up, I kind of like Under the Dome on CBS, and I am looking forward to the 3rd season of the Following on Fox. Lastly, I am ONLY still watching 2.5 Men, which is now God-awful, because it is ending and Chuck Lorre didn't deny that Charlie Sheen would be back in the finale.

I watch many more cable/pay/streaming shows.

Where networks recently lost me: Grimm on NBC. Thought it was going to be silly, but it was actually fun. But it recently got too mired in mythology and it lost me. New Girl got boring when the sexual tension ended. It's a risk to do that. Sometimes it works (The Office), sometimes it doesn't. I tried to watch Blacklist, but it was boring.

That's about it. To your last question, The Odd Couple is coming soon on CBS. If a show is well written and well acted, it will be successful. It doesn't matter if it is old or new.

One big advantage companies like Netflix have is that get much more information about viewers' habits than networks do. Netflix knew their customers liked political stuff and anti-heroes based upon habits, so they remade House of Cards. Smart.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Since I am currently confined to my pit, I have BBC1 on ALL the time...It has some great programmes, but I particularly like their 24 hour news coverage. Interestingly, when I recently did a college assignment on the current state of the newspaper industry, it transpired that the BBC was the most popular internet site for news - more popular than online versions of The Mail, The Guardian, or internet-only providers like Google, Yahoo, or The Huffington Post, etc...So, I think there is very much a future for established broadcasters, they just need to be able to adapt their provision to newer mediums.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

Premium Member

Lear tried to put a black family in the Bunker house, and it bombed. I doubt a Latino version of One Day at a Time will fare any better... same idea but 20 years apart.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I almost never watch the traditional channels, CBS, ABC, NBC or FOX. Most of my TV viewing is Food Network, Showtime and Netflix. I have a brother in law that has 3 kids and in 20 years never subscribed to cable. He's never had a cable bill and has always just had an HD antenna to pull in whatever is available and a Roku box to stream. I think as generations go I know my kids never watch anything on those networks.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

if it wasn't for sports, I could survive on CBS alone - the "NCIS" shows, "Hawaii Five-0", "Big Bang Theory" and yes, "Two And A Half Men" (which has out ridiculoused even it's own self this last season). I will watch "Under The Dome" when it comes back, though I only watched it because I thought it was a one-season mini-series, and that's all it should've been! Also, "Battle Creek" looks promising. I wonder if the 13 episode season will become more of a norm? I think some shows would do better with less. It's a challenge to come up with 23 interesting stories a season and on some shows it shows. But I need to keep FOX around for the NFL and NASCAR and NBC for NASCAR and of course FOX Sports Florida for the Marlins!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Like billy, I pretty much only watch sports on the traditional channels. And other then ESPN, Criminal Minds and Impractical Jokers, I really don't even watch TV.

That's all I should have to pay for.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

Premium Member

Default Channel 47

I've made go with this kind of stuff since July 2013 when we dropped to basic cable. (ATT)
    It's always being edited, updated and erased. Watch whatever you want, when you want.

First Run Network

America's Test Kitchen
    Arrow
    Backstrom
    Constantine
    Cooks Country ATK
    Cosmos space time odyssey
    Gotham
    Lidia's Kitchen
    Manhattan
    Agent Carter
    Masterpiece
    NOVA
    Red Band Society
    Resurrection
    Football
    Scorpion
    SNL
    Big Bang Theory
    The Flash
    The Late Late Show
    The McCarthys
    Two 1/2 Men
    Under the Dome

Syndication

The Now
    Big Bang Theory
    Seinfeld
    Judge Judy
    Indians
    Hot in Cleveland
    Futurama
    Celebrity Name Game
    Big Chuck & Lil' John Couch Potato Theater

Plans on an HD antenna in the future to get all the above and drop big cable.

+ Amazon Prime and Netfix DVD for everything else on impulse.
    Last edited by Number 47; 01.30.15 at 01:56 PM.