Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Default Sociologists Reveal Shocking Results of ‘Christianophobia' Research

Jan. 29, 2015

Sociologists at the University of North Texas are issuing a cautionary warning to Christians noting that, though there isn’t widespread “Christianophonia” in the U.S., the small group of those who have a strong aversion to conservative believers are among the influential and elite.

George Yancey and David Williamson shared findings corroborating this notion in their recently released book “So Many Christians, So Few Lions: Is There Christianophobia in the United States?” which promises to offer a “provocative look at anti-Christian sentiments in America.”

The sociologists, who define Christianophobia as “unreasonable hatred or fear of Christians,” argue that it’s worth exploring potential intense bias against Christians, as it helps readers understand the “social dynamics” that exist in the U.S., according to an official book description.

As far as how prevalent the problem truly is, Yancey told the Christian Post that it’s really a small group of people that hold strong hostility, though that group is comprised of elite individuals with more societal power than the average person.

Yancey said that he and his co-author were motivated to explore potential Christianophonia after they began collecting qualitative data from interviews with liberal activists and noticed a troubling trend among a certain subset of these respondents.

That in mind, a few months ago, the sociologist shared a sampling of some of the “unreasonable hatred” he said he encountered through interviews with cultural progressive activists for the purpose of his study. Here are just three of the comments that were made about the Christian right:

“I want them all to die in a fire.” (Male, aged 26-35 with Doctorate)

“They should be eradicated without hesitation or remorse. Their only purpose is to damage and inflict their fundamentalist virus onto everyone they come in contact with.” (Female, aged 66-75 with Master degree)

“They make me a believer in eugenics….They pollute good air…I would be in favor of establishing a state for them… If not, then sterilize them so they can’t breed more.” (Male, aged 46-55 with Master degree)

These statements caused Yancey to look deeper at the pool of respondents — individuals who were chosen from unnamed groups that are actively opposed to sentiments held by many conservative Christians.

“We quickly saw some of the unnecessary vitriol and fears within many of our respondents. We also saw the social status of those who exhibited this hatred and many of them would be in positions that allowed them to at least subtly act on their anger and fears,” Yancey said. “That motivated us to take a more systematic look at Christianophobia and speculate on how this phenomenon influences certain social aspects in the United States.”

He said that there are important distinctions to be made when analyzing the demographics of those who have Christianophonia and who, as a result, see believers as being backward, child-like and barriers to progress, telling the Christian Post that, while there are more people who are hostile toward atheists than Christians, those who oppose the latter group tend to be highly educated.

“I have established that those with animosity towards conservative Christians tend to have more per-capita social power than those with animosity towards other religiously based groups,” Yancey wrote in a blog post last year. “They are more likely to be white, educated and wealthy. The education advantage creates a unique dimension in this group as one may contend that highly educated individuals are unlikely to engage in unreasonable level of hatred or anger.”

In the end, he said that those who oppose atheism don’t “have the level of per-capita power of those who do not like Christians.” Considering that atheist activists have argued that they are discriminated against due to their secularism — and past polls have shown, for instance, that citizens are much less likely to even vote for them in elections — an important question emerges.

“So is a group worse off if more people do not like them or if those who do not like them have a lot of social power, but there are fewer of them? Context matters to answer such a question,” Yancey told the Christian Post. “If you want to get elected to political office, then atheists are at a disadvantage since more people do not like them. But if you want to get a higher education, then you will run into a lot more people with power who hate Christians than who hate atheists.”

Yancey cited as evidence non-discrimination policies enacted in California Christian colleges that have forced some student groups out of official recognition if they refuse to allow atheists and other non-Christiand the opportunity to lead those groups — something that he said seems to show evidence of college administrators exhibiting “some degree of latent Christianophobia with a fiction of promoting equality.”

“We documented that some level of Christianophobia is present among certain powerful subcultures in our society,” he continued. “This helps us understand some actions in our society.”

Read the Christian Post interview in its entirety here http://www.christianpost.com/news/so...erview-133227/ and explore an in-depth explanation of Yancey’s research and data collection. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/blackwh...states-part-2/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...ble-believers/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,089 Times in 8,937 Posts

I know many will disagree, but if Christians would act more like Jesus, and less like Jimmy Swaggert, maybe people would like them more.

Just saying.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I know many will disagree, but if Christians would act more like Jesus, and less like Jimmy Swaggert, maybe people would like them more.

Just saying.
    Except that we are all human and we will all fall short of this. Today, only Christians are held to a "perfect" standard and we are constantly painted with a broad brush because of the actions of a few. Too many people have no clue what it is to be a Christian yet they hate them because it's en vogue nowadays.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:11 PM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

as a Christian (a Catholic, that's the best kind ) and a foreigner i think i can speak to this. I have noticed a lot of anti-Christian stuff in the States but we see precious little of it up here despite having about the same percentage of Christians vs non (70/30). I think the reason for this is because in America, from what I've seen, faith gets a much bigger play in politics and in every day life. Our current Prime Minister is a Christian and I couldn't tell you what denomination he's from. I don't care. If he was an atheist, I wouldn't care. But I know that Mitt Romney is a Mormon and Obama's faith has been discussed non-stop. Faith is really a non-factor in elections here, I'd say 95% of the electorate does not care. I can understand why agnostics and atheists would be annoyed when it's an election issue. It shouldn't be.

Also everytime I'm in the States I see billboards (both pro and against religion) all over the place. We almost never see those here. Again, faith is, for most, a pretty private matter. There's not a lot of advertising for it. I think it should stay that way. I think if it was, that much of the anti-Christian senitment in the states would go away.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Except that we are all human and we will all fall short of this. Today, only Christians are held to a "perfect" standard and we are constantly painted with a broad brush because of the actions of a few. Too many people have no clue what it is to be a Christian yet they hate them because it's en vogue nowadays.
    Really?

Who? I am not trying to be contrarian, but I just have never run across it, or when I do, I think it is deserved.

I have never once in my life received one ounce of hate due to my religious beliefs. And I live right outside of Washington DC, not anywhere near the Bible Belt.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    as a Christian (a Catholic, that's the best kind ) and a foreigner i think i can speak to this. I have noticed a lot of anti-Christian stuff in the States but we see precious little of it up here despite having about the same percentage of Christians vs non (70/30). I think the reason for this is because in America, from what I've seen, faith gets a much bigger play in politics and in every day life. Our current Prime Minister is a Christian and I couldn't tell you what denomination he's from. I don't care. If he was an atheist, I wouldn't care. But I know that Mitt Romney is a Mormon and Obama's faith has been discussed non-stop. Faith is really a non-factor in elections here, I'd say 95% of the electorate does not care. I can understand why agnostics and atheists would be annoyed when it's an election issue. It shouldn't be.

Also everytime I'm in the States I see billboards (both pro and against religion) all over the place. We almost never see those here. Again, faith is, for most, a pretty private matter. There's not a lot of advertising for it. I think it should stay that way. I think if it was, that much of the anti-Christian senitment in the states would go away.
    And that is the way it should be.

Government should be about ideas, not dogma.

9. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Just saying.
    Not to mention Christians who are complete hypocrites and only believe in portions of the bible that suit them.

If you are going to believe - fine, but it's all or nothing. You can't attack gay people for "sinning", while you are perfectly fine with going on Ashley Madison to look for someone to fuck, because you are fine with cheating on your wife - Jesus is fine with that apparently too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

I think the reason why one thinks the country is full of people who subscribe to Yambag Sauce is do to social media. Christians are like cops. You only hear about the bad ones. I mean most people are Christian yet the vast majority don't shove it in your face. You hear about it because a group of them are influential in regional Republican districts. Guess what? Religion in Alabama is more common than in the Bay Area.

I mean if I was an agnostic or atheist, I would worry far more about Islam than Christianity. You know what the worst thing an Evangelical will do to you? Preach. The worst part is that gays won't be married and abortion will be outlawed. Sharia law has far worse consequences.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

No one told me Ashley Madison was considered cheating...since it was on the internet, I thought that didn't count.

Christians are just like every other social group. 90% of them are good people. It's the rotten 10% that gets all the attention.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Not to mention Christians who are complete hypocrites and only believe in portions of the bible that suit them.

If you are going to believe - fine, but it's all or nothing. You can't attack gay people for "sinning", while you are perfectly fine with going on Ashley Madison to look for someone to fuck, because you are fine with cheating on your wife - Jesus is fine with that apparently too.
    i have no issue with christians who only believe the parts that suit them (this is like everyone with everything). We're all hypocrites. Like you, I could do without the public judging of other people. If you beleive in God and you think God will have an issue with someone's lifestlye, that's fine. Have him deal with them. There's a passage that goes something like "don't worry about other people a-hole, worry about your own f-ing issues". I'm paraphasing, I believe the exact passage is a little different.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think it states (loosely paraphrased) "remove the log from thine own eye before worrying about the speck in your brother's eye".

Banned!
    Last Online

No one told me Ashley Madison was considered cheating...since it was on the internet, I thought that didn't count.

Christians are just like every other social group. 90% of them are good people. It's the rotten 10% that gets all the attention.
    They may be ALL good people - but many are hypocrites, don't really follow the bible unless it's things that serve them. It's way more than 10% would make Jesus himself disgusted. Hell the whole Republican party goes against what Jesus would do despite their love for God and The Bible.

You know what's funny - we have some Christians on my forum that claim to be very religious and the atheists on my forum decimate them when it comes to religious debate. It's sad and pathetic when atheists know more about God and The Bible over those that actually follow this stuff.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    They may be ALL good people - but many are hypocrites, don't really follow the bible unless it's things that serve them. It's way more than 10% would make Jesus himself disgusted. Hell the whole Republican party goes against what Jesus would do despite their love for God and The Bible.

You know what's funny - we have some Christians on my forum that claim to be very religious and the atheists on my forum decimate them when it comes to religious debate. It's sad and pathetic when atheists know more about God and The Bible over those that actually follow this stuff.
    Many atheists seem to own a little book called "out of context lines you can use to piss off Christians" and it allows to think they're "winning" a religious debate. They aren't but it doesn't matter. Be a good person. Jesus' teaching can be summarized with the words "don't be an a-hole". If you do that, you got most of the faith's rules covered. Christians don't preach to non-Christians and vice versa and the world would be a better place.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I think it states (loosely paraphrased) "remove the log from thine own eye before worrying about the speck in your brother's eye".
    something like that.

Banned!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i have no issue with christians who only believe the parts that suit them (this is like everyone with everything). We're all hypocrites. Like you, I could do without the public judging of other people. If you beleive in God and you think God will have an issue with someone's lifestlye, that's fine. Have him deal with them. There's a passage that goes something like "don't worry about other people a-hole, worry about your own f-ing issues". I'm paraphasing, I believe the exact passage is a little different.
    Why are you fine with people who only believe portions of The Bible that are convenient for them - ala if they are homophobic, they use The Bible to justify their homophobia, but then there are many other things that they completely ignore that would be deemed as sinning or against God.

God and religion isn't à la carte - you can't pick and choose what you want like you are picking cable stations. It's all or nothing. The 10 Commandments for example isn't something that you can and choose from, but many Christians do.