Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Default Composite Franky

So, what would happen if this guitar ...

this guitar...

and this guitar...

were all in some horrible, tragic accident and there were only enough parts left over to make one guitar?

I don't know either..., but stay tuned!
    Last edited by jimi11580; 01.29.15 at 06:24 AM.
    WGAF?!!

2. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Can't say I've ever wondered what the lovechild of those three would look like. But I sure want to know now! Good luck with the project.

That aside... I'm a little more intrigued by all those cases with interesting labels like: Voodoo Franky, Sonic Blue Franky, SRVH... have you showed us all those yet???

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

I'm excited! This is going to be cool as hell...Nice collection of guitar cases too

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    ... I'm a little more intrigued by all those cases with interesting labels like: Voodoo Franky, Sonic Blue Franky, SRVH... have you showed us all those yet???
    Yup. They have all been shown here over the years.
    WGAF?!!

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

I'm sure that guitar is going to turn out great, and I really don't mean to offend anyone, but I still can't figure out the fascination people have with playing a guitar upside down. I mean, I get it. Jimi did it and he's an Icon, so other people want to look like Jimi, but he did it because he was a lefty and didn't have a lefty strat.

I don't understand why a right handed player like Perry would choose to play a lefty guitar just to look cool. You have a hard time playing high on the neck, the knobs and jack get in the way of your picking hand. You can't mute the strings well with the trem bar installed. It fucking sucks.

I see that yours is set up to be played righty, without some of the impairments I just described, so it's a hybrid lefty-righty guitar. You still have the upper register issues on the neck, so from a practical standpoint, you sacrifice playability for looks.

My view on this is probably skewed by the fact that my Dad was a lefty, and I grew up trying to play a lefty guitar strung upside down as a right-handed player. I fucking hated it, and couldn't wait to get my own right handed guitar.

It's just one of those things I don't get.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

+1
    Also don't understand the fascination with stripes. I own every single piece of music EVH has ever released, owned several of his amps... But I would never ever want a striped guitar. I would feel goofy pulling one out at a gig, or even a rehearsal. Would be cool if EVH/Fender made solid color strats with single HB and a Floyd. The EVH on the headstock is cool...
    Last edited by EJC; 01.30.15 at 11:53 AM.
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    +1
    Also don't understand the fascination with stripes. I own every single piece of music EVH has ever released, owned several of his amps... But I would never ever want a striped guitar. I would feel goofy pulling one out at a gig, or even a rehearsal. Would be cool if EVH/Fender made solid color strats with single HB and a Floyd. The EVH on the headstock is cool...
    I hear ya. I've owned the Charvel Striped Series guitar when I was between bands, so I never gigged with it. I didn't mind jammin in the basement with it, but I agree, it would have been weird playing it at a gig, unless I was rockin Van Halen every other song.

I would love to own one of the Striped Series guitars as a wall ornament, but I can't talk myself into dropping $900 on what would basically amount to a piece of Art.

I basically built the VH1 guitar with a solid Black Strat body and a Frankenstein Humbucker, white pickguard and a Blade Runner trem. Kind of a cross between a Blackie and a VH 1 Frankenstrat. Gives me the tone I'm looking for without the stripes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 296 Posts

EVH/Fender are missing the boat. Can you imagine how many units they would move if you took the striped series and just made them in solid white, black, or red? I guess maybe they don't want to cut into the Charvel's which I guess are basically the same thing without the stripes. IDK... Don't wanna knock anybody here, and I love the homemade jobs... But like you, I could never justify dropping $900 on a guitar that just sits in the stand at home. As far as the "lefty" thing. I did pickup an 80's Kramer off some kid for $70 a few summers ago. It was left handed. I "converted" it by putting another strap button and flipping the strings. Got bored (and sore shoulder) after a week and sold that bi-yatch on craigslist for $200...
    https://www.reverbnation.com/kingslevel1
    https://twitter.com/kingslevel1
    New EP "Awakening" out on Amazon, Spotify, Google, iTunes 122117

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:28 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

I saw some neat pics of Yngwie with a reverse looking Strat . Looked cool for the novelty factor .
    This guitar ^^^ should be a bit more visually exciting . Curious to see how jimi finishes it up .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    +1
    Also don't understand the fascination with stripes. I own every single piece of music EVH has ever released, owned several of his amps... But I would never ever want a striped guitar. I would feel goofy pulling one out at a gig, or even a rehearsal.
    I think that most people that buy the striped guitars are not actually gigging musicians. In fact, I've seen a lot of bands live, and have never once seen anyone play a striped EVH guitar. I'm aware it happens, I've just never seen it. But if I were in a band I don't think I'd play one on stage either. I just play my guitars around the house and with a few friends. I like the striped guitars, so I've bought a bunch of them. They remind me of a fun time of my life way back when, and I enjoy playing them and just having them around. But I've got plenty of other guitars that I enjoy just as much.