Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Default Does ANYONE know this guitar brand ?

Many moons ago , I lived in South Africa for a 3 yr stint . My dad bought me my first electric guitar on a whim , after I became interested in Eddie Van Halen . He got it at a music store at Sandton City (Transvaal) - a local mall .

The name on the headstock was ZEUS . It had what seemed to be P90 looking pickups , a rosewood fretboard , an over sized Strat style headstock , and the old 'sink' style Fender-eque bridge cover . I do have a couple of old photos but haven't dug them out of storage just yet ... Purely out of nostalgia , I've tried to search for this guitar . It's something I'd like to have as an heirloom type of deal .

I've come up blank while trying to find any info . Does anyone have any knowledge or resources that might be able to help ?
    ZEUS . Ring any bells ? Sorry for the treasure hunt . Any and all tips would be a huge bonus .

Thanks guys and girls
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Many moons ago , I lived in South Africa for a 3 yr stint . My dad bought me my first electric guitar on a whim , after I became interested in Eddie Van Halen . He got it at a music store at Sandton City (Transvaal) - a local mall .

The name on the headstock was ZEUS . It had what seemed to be P90 looking pickups , a rosewood fretboard , an over sized Strat style headstock , and the old 'sink' style Fender-eque bridge cover . I do have a couple of old photos but haven't dug them out of storage just yet ... Purely out of nostalgia , I've tried to search for this guitar . It's something I'd like to have as an heirloom type of deal .

I've come up blank while trying to find any info . Does anyone have any knowledge or resources that might be able to help ?
    ZEUS . Ring any bells ? Sorry for the treasure hunt . Any and all tips would be a huge bonus .

Thanks guys and girls
    http://www.zeus-custom-guitars.com/models/j-mercury/#

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks , brother !
    Just quickly checked out the page you listed . Didn't see what I was looking for , but will keep going . Awesome that you put that up though .

The guitar I had (circa 1985) was a really low budget kinda deal , akin to a Hondo etc. I'll try to put up the 2 photos I have tomorrow .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Yeah I could tell by the bridge it wasn't exactly like what you described, but oh well. Good luck finding it!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

No , not at all . I'm stoked that you posted it .
    When I tried typing in 'Zeus' or something similar , I got pages for a guitar instruction type of book - the 'Guitar Zeus' ... haha

Brett posted in the Gear Pics page about his first guitar that he's redone with upgraded hardware . My first electric is long gone , but hoped on a longshot that I might be able to track one down . Like I said - sentimental reasons and the nostalgia factor . Cheers

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

My first guitar was similar, a "Lotus" brand strat knock off. I took it apart at one point and it was literally layers of plywood!

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PCh5150 View Post
    My first guitar was similar, a "Lotus" brand strat knock off. I took it apart at one point and it was literally layers of plywood!

A friend of mine had a Lotus strat in the early 80s. He taught me my first chords on it!

Soon after, I got a red Hondo Fame series strat knock-off.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Well taking it apart taught me a little about how a guitar works. Years later I was able to do basic maintenance on my Les Paul and Ibanez. Didn't help not be a lousy player though.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PCh5150 View Post
    One of my early guitars was a plywood Strat knockoff. There were a lot of low-end guitars made of plywood when I started playing, but it seems you don't see that much anymore, do you? And I'm pretty sure my first electric guitar was made of MDF! (It actually doesn't sound too bad.)

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

No kidding! Yeah, a lot of cheaper guitars were made of plywood then.
    I guess it was a direct cost savings thing then, although there are cheaper woods other than ply, even back then. Basswood, usually a general purpose utility wood was very cheap, but wasn't quite accepted yet on guitars. Ibanez really started using it more in the late 80's, 90's as a standard. My first guitar was plywood too! It was a Strat copy, actually played and honestly sounded pretty good too, but it weighed a ton!
    I actually saved the neck. I still have it. it was the one quality piece on it. Everything else was pretty much junk from a durability perspective. The neck was great though.
    It was a 2 or 3 hundred dollar guitar....That neck was probably the bulk of the value.