Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default GOP Proposes Obamacare To Replace Obamacare - Boehner/McConnell Bomb On 60 Minutes

    Speaker of the House John Boehner and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell delivered a disastrous appearance on 60 Minutes, the lowlight of which was their complete inability to discuss the Republican alternative to Obamacare.



    Speaker Boehner went on a dodge and weave filibuster when asked what the Republican alternative to Obamacare was, “Providing more access we could have done without taking control of the entire healthcare system. When you look at Obamacare, it’s a perfect example of what Washington does. It’s a one size fits all approach for the whole country all driven by Washington bureaucrats. I’ll bet they’ve hired tens of thousands of people between the IRS and over at Health and Human Services just to run this. All of the decisions, all of the rules decided by Washington. We have a wide, diverse country, and I just think it’s time for us to look at this differently. For those who don’t have access to affordable health insurance. Helping those at the bottom I think we’re all for it, but we don’t need Washington to ruin the greatest health delivery system that the world has ever known.”

    CBS’s Scott Pelley asked again, “So how do you do it? What’s the Republican plan?” Boehner answered with a weak, “We’re, We’re working on this. Having discussions amongst our members, got a lot of divergent views about how best to go back to a doctor/patient relationship that’s revered.”

    Pelley kept hammering away and said that this is one of the biggest criticisms of the Republican Party is that they know what they are against, but can’t tell people what they are for. McConnell said that Pelley was mischaracterizing the success of Obamacare and claimed that the ACA will fail. McConnell said that the chances, of getting rid of Obamacare with Obama in the White House, were slim, but that Republicans were going to make the effort.

    Pelley replied, “You don’t have an alternative.”

    At this point, Boehner jumped back in and pushed the same old Republican ideas of letting people buy insurance across state lines and medical malpractice insurance reform. John Boehner and Mitch McConnell went on the most watched television news program in the country and promptly fell on their faces. The truth is that Republicans have no replacement plan for the ACA.

    Boehner and McConnell both talked about getting rid of the ACA, but what they didn’t mention is that a bill that they each voted for funded Obamacare for another year. Republicans have created a new disaster for themselves on a weekly basis since they have taken over Congress. The new Republican majority was supposed to get things done, but instead has been consumed by ineptitude and infighting while being constantly outmaneuvered by President Obama.

    Republicans have had almost six years to come up with an ACA alternative. They have had even longer to come up with a plan to reform health care. The Republican plan is to return the country to a system where tens of millions of Americans lack access to health care, and those with insurance are one medical crisis away from bankruptcy.

    The Republican Party has no alternative. Even worse, they treat the American people like they don’t have a clue.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,995
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Likes
    817
    Liked 3,123 Times in 1,830 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The assumption being made here is that one huge regulatory maneuver is needed as an alternative for another huge regulatory maneuver. The other assumption is that anyone opposed to the Affordable Care Act thinks anything the Republicans come up with to regulate health care will be any better.

    I also object to the conflation of the terms "health care" and "health insurance." No one lacks access to all health care. They may lack access to the preventative maintenance a family doctor provides, but no one is refused at a hospital. If you need care, it will be provided for free at the ER. Doctors, by law, must provide their services for free to those who cannot afford it.

    In fact, before passing the Affordable Care Act, half of the uninsured--20 million people--either qualified for programs like Medical and hadn't applied or could afford health insurance but decided not to purchase it.

    So a less invasive approach to this could have been a campaign to remind people to make sure they qualify for medical (I mean, in the ER, they try to get everyone to apply) and that if they changed spending habits, they could afford insurance. Then you knock down government-imposed insurance barriers, and finally get rid of the stupid way we deal with malpractice. (It's insane that a doctor's malpractice insurance goes up every year, even if they have never been sued, because the pool of possible plaintiffs increases each year.)

    Then you wait. See what happens. Don't go for it all in one big swoop. If you do things piecemeal, you can see what works and what doesn't.

    Instead, yes, we've gotten insurance to those who didn't have it before, but we did it by disrupting health care for many others who already had it. Worse, we created a new government power where the federal government can make you do anything as long as there is a tax for noncompliance.

    For a good laugh, I hope the Republicans gain seats in the House and Senate and win the Presidency in 2016 and decide to pass the "More Guns, Less Crime Act" that forces all Americans to buy a gun each year as long as the penalty for noncompliance is a huge tax. I want to see all the people who thought this new power was a good idea whine and complain when it is used for something they don't like.

    That, to me, would be incredibly entertaining.

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #3
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,888
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Likes
    1,881
    Liked 6,852 Times in 3,589 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Here's the Obamacare thread in case no one else wants to search for it.

    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/thre...35#post1736635

  5. #4
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The assumption being made here is that one huge regulatory maneuver is needed as an alternative for another huge regulatory maneuver. The other assumption is that anyone opposed to the Affordable Care Act thinks anything the Republicans come up with to regulate health care will be any better.

    I also object to the conflation of the terms "health care" and "health insurance." No one lacks access to all health care. They may lack access to the preventative maintenance a family doctor provides, but no one is refused at a hospital. If you need care, it will be provided for free at the ER. Doctors, by law, must provide their services for free to those who cannot afford it.

    In fact, before passing the Affordable Care Act, half of the uninsured--20 million people--either qualified for programs like Medical and hadn't applied or could afford health insurance but decided not to purchase it.

    So a less invasive approach to this could have been a campaign to remind people to make sure they qualify for medical (I mean, in the ER, they try to get everyone to apply) and that if they changed spending habits, they could afford insurance. Then you knock down government-imposed insurance barriers, and finally get rid of the stupid way we deal with malpractice. (It's insane that a doctor's malpractice insurance goes up every year, even if they have never been sued, because the pool of possible plaintiffs increases each year.)

    Then you wait. See what happens. Don't go for it all in one big swoop. If you do things piecemeal, you can see what works and what doesn't.

    Instead, yes, we've gotten insurance to those who didn't have it before, but we did it by disrupting health care for many others who already had it. Worse, we created a new government power where the federal government can make you do anything as long as there is a tax for noncompliance.

    For a good laugh, I hope the Republicans gain seats in the House and Senate and win the Presidency in 2016 and decide to pass the "More Guns, Less Crime Act" that forces all Americans to buy a gun each year as long as the penalty for noncompliance is a huge tax. I want to see all the people who thought this new power was a good idea whine and complain when it is used for something they don't like.

    That, to me, would be incredibly entertaining.
    Republicans will not be winning in 2016 - sorry to take away your hope.

  6. #5
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,317
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,323
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Republicans will not be winning in 2016 - sorry to take away your hope.
    Yup. Wouldn't want all those free programs stopped now wouldya?

  7. #6
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,664
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 08:47 AM
    Likes
    586
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Republicans will not be winning in 2016 - sorry to take away your hope.
    Hey next time you go to the future with Doc Brown, can you be sure to pick me up a Gray's Sports Almanac?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  9. #7
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Yup. Wouldn't want all those free programs stopped now wouldya?
    Free is always good.

  10. #8
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Yup. Wouldn't want all those free programs stopped now wouldya?
    Free is always good.

  11. #9
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,388
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 08:55 AM
    Likes
    2,308
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Free is always good.
    What you really mean is "as long as someone else is paying" right?
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  12. #10
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    What you really mean is "as long as someone else is paying" right?
    When I get a free sub, I don't think about who is paying for this.

  13. #11
    Eruption gabby gabbster's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.06.01
    Posts
    1,206
    Last Online

    12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    The GOP have NO alternative to curing America's healthcare crisis. Go to the old obamacare thread and see that all of the loud conservative voices were parroting GOP talking points and were ALL completely against anything being done. It was SOCIALISM! They were absolutely fine with the system we had. Only after Obamacare was passed did they suddenly accept that a single payer system would be better. Unfortunately, single payer was NOT going to happen due to the amount of political resistance set up during the committee processes, the amount of town hall meetings that the "liberal" media spewed showing all of those old fuckers screaming "get the government out of my Medicare", and the year long debate this country had to have. So, is Obamacare perfect? Hell no, but it's a step in the right direction. If more and more people are covered and are able to see a doctor regularly, then future health care costs will go DOWN due to the fact that people won't be waiting till the last minute to have bypass heart surgery, removal of a leg due to diabeties, or any other litany of health problems that arise when you don't go to the goddamn doctor. And to those who want to argue that your premiums are going to go up because you have to pay a little more for poor people to get covered, well, you already were paying for them via emergency room costs. Many CBO projections are showing that Obamacare is going to reduce our healthcare costs even more than originally thought. I guess we'll have to see, but until then, the GOP to this day can't come up with a better alternative - because they don't want to!

  14. #12
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,041
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    4,493
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    One of the rare times I agree with you GG. But I think the GOP leadership in Congress secretly agree with ACA. And we all know the swing vote upholdng ACA on the SCOTUS was non other than Bush appointed and hard right thinking Roberts LOL.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  15. #13
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,752
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Likes
    4,337
    Liked 7,897 Times in 4,619 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I sure don't hear the loud drumbeat of "Repeal Obamacare" anymore.

    At least from the establishment GOP.

    Am I wrong?

  16. #14
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,159
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Likes
    1,322
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I sure don't hear the loud drumbeat of "Repeal Obamacare" anymore.

    At least from the establishment GOP.

    Am I wrong?
    isn't it always like that from both parties? It is up here. You run against something and then when you get into power you realize that getting rid of it means you need to replace it with another idea and both parties aren't so good with coming up with ideas.

  17. #15
    Eruption gabby gabbster's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.06.01
    Posts
    1,206
    Last Online

    12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    One of the rare times I agree with you GG. But I think the GOP leadership in Congress secretly agree with ACA. And we all know the swing vote upholdng ACA on the SCOTUS was non other than Bush appointed and hard right thinking Roberts LOL.
    For whatever reason, Roberts upheld the ACA. I think he probably did it because he had a legacy to think about. Playing the long game, so to speak. I also think he didn't want the general public to view the court as an extension of the nation’s polarized politics...especially after the disasterous decisions of Bush V. Gore and Citizens United.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. OBAMACARE
    By voivod in forum Political Underground
    Replies: 1762
    Last Post: 09.13.17, 04:59 PM
  2. Top Obamacare Chief Resigns In Wake of Phony Figures Fiasco
    By The Rover in forum Political Underground
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.18.15, 09:27 AM
  3. The Proposed Republican Replacement For ObamaCare Is A Big Tax Hike
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01.29.14, 01:34 PM
  4. Senate Democrats Urge Undoing of ObamaCare
    By bklynboy68 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12.13.12, 01:43 PM
  5. Washington Post: Romney’s right: Obamacare cuts Medicare by $716 billion. Here’s how.
    By CaptainVonDoom in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08.17.12, 05:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •