Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Default Study: 60 percent of 2014 job growth caused by expiration of unemployment benefits

Study: 60 percent of 2014 job growth caused by expiration of unemployment benefits

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ar...ampaign=buffer
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

It doesn't take a genius to realize that people getting unemployment benefits are less likely to work, but it's still a concept some find hard to grasp. That's always the negative side-effect to government benefits: it makes people less likely to find ways to be self-sufficient.

The challenge we will always have is how do we strike the balance of providing for those that cannot provide for themselves while still encouraging those that can to do so?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Study: 60 percent of 2014 job growth caused by expiration of unemployment ben...

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    The challenge we will always have is how do we strike the balance of providing for those that cannot provide for themselves while still encouraging those that can to do so?
    I'm pretty sure you could do the opposite of what we as a country have done and do a much better job.
    Case in point: my wife's friend who just divorced her husband came crying to my wife about not having money to buy groceries (2 young kids) & naturally you want to help somebody who needs it right? So we give her some money (no great amount but enough that would have gotten us by until payday)Next thing you know, she's gone & gotten a tattoo and her hair colored and is making summer vacation plans within just a couple days of basically begging for grocery money. She's not on public assistance (yet) but I imagine it's only a matter of time. What do you do with people who make their own weather and then complain about the rain?
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 01.27.15 at 08:52 AM.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

In my neck of the world, unemployment is treated by many as paid vacation. They take seasonal jobs with the hope that they'll put in the minimum weeks so that they can claim unemployment. then they spend the winter inquiring about applications at businesses that they know are closed and not hiring so they can report "looking for work" ....always the highest unemployment rate in Ohio

but I know many people in their 50's who don't show up on the statistics because they have given up on finding a job. Some of them are working "under the table" which only hurts them later and several have started their own handyman or lawn care businesses.
    alot don't show up on the statistics because technically they are employed but are working at jobs like Home Depot and making half the money they made before

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    In my neck of the world, unemployment is treated by many as paid vacation. They take seasonal jobs with the hope that they'll put in the minimum weeks so that they can claim unemployment. then they spend the winter inquiring about applications at businesses that they know are closed and not hiring so they can report "looking for work" ....always the highest unemployment rate in Ohio

but I know many people in their 50's who don't show up on the statistics because they have given up on finding a job. Some of them are working "under the table" which only hurts them later and several have started their own handyman or lawn care businesses.
    alot don't show up on the statistics because technically they are employed but are working at jobs like Home Depot and making half the money they made before
    That's part of the reason for the dip in the labor participation rate. If the labor participation rate was the same as it was before Obama took office (not saying it is entirely his fault, but it's an easy delineation point) the unemployment rate would be at 9.9%.

Also, there are a lot of people in my generation that have gone back to school, essentially hiding in the unemployment numbers. They are getting further into debt in the hopes their second degree, change of career, or MBA will allow them to get a job when the smoke clears.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,119 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

I think the Negative Income Tax is the best way to provide a safety net for people that also incentivizes working more. In theory, it would replace all other safety nets, which is why it would never happen. But the more money you earn, the more you take home with the Negative Income Tax.

Of course many things are interconnected, so it gets complicated real fast. But put simply, the rich people I know would give much more money to charity if they didn't give 50% of their income to the government.

I am guessing private charities would be much more discerning and have a better idea of who needs what that unemployment departments where you can barely talk to a person. In CA, EDD employees are only available 8am-noon Mon-Thurs. Local unemployment offices have nothing to do with your benefits.

So when my fiance get laid off in October, she was told by EDD to put down her severance as income whenever she got it. Well, EDD spit it back to her 3 times because her last day worked (the day she was laid off) did not match the week she reported income. Of course, when there is income, EDD will only deal with you by mail, so this went back and forth 3 times via USPS. Finally, she got a letter saying they needed to interview her again because her applications were suspicious, despite being filled out the way EDD had told her to fill it out.

If this stuff were privatized and as local as possible, it wouldn't have happened this way. And the lady mentioned above would not have received ANY more payments if she asked for money and came back with an expensive tattoo. Sometimes, people have to learn the hard way.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

Default GALLUP CEO PENS OPINION PIECE

The Big Lie: 5.6% Unemployment

by Jim Clifton

Feb. 3, 2015

Here's something that many Americans -- including some of the smartest and most educated among us -- don't know: The official unemployment rate, as reported by the U.S. Department of Labor, is extremely misleading.

Right now, we're hearing much celebrating from the media, the White House and Wall Street about how unemployment is "down" to 5.6%. The cheerleading for this number is deafening. The media loves a comeback story, the White House wants to score political points and Wall Street would like you to stay in the market.

None of them will tell you this: If you, a family member or anyone is unemployed and has subsequently given up on finding a job -- if you are so hopelessly out of work that you've stopped looking over the past four weeks -- the Department of Labor doesn't count you as unemployed. That's right. While you are as unemployed as one can possibly be, and tragically may never find work again, you are not counted in the figure we see relentlessly in the news -- currently 5.6%. Right now, as many as 30 million Americans are either out of work or severely underemployed. Trust me, the vast majority of them aren't throwing parties to toast "falling" unemployment.

There's another reason why the official rate is misleading. Say you're an out-of-work engineer or healthcare worker or construction worker or retail manager: If you perform a minimum of one hour of work in a week and are paid at least $20 -- maybe someone pays you to mow their lawn -- you're not officially counted as unemployed in the much-reported 5.6%. Few Americans know this.

Yet another figure of importance that doesn't get much press: those working part time but wanting full-time work. If you have a degree in chemistry or math and are working 10 hours part time because it is all you can find -- in other words, you are severely underemployed -- the government doesn't count you in the 5.6%. Few Americans know this.

There's no other way to say this. The official unemployment rate, which cruelly overlooks the suffering of the long-term and often permanently unemployed as well as the depressingly underemployed, amounts to a Big Lie.

And it's a lie that has consequences, because the great American dream is to have a good job, and in recent years, America has failed to deliver that dream more than it has at any time in recent memory. A good job is an individual's primary identity, their very self-worth, their dignity -- it establishes the relationship they have with their friends, community and country. When we fail to deliver a good job that fits a citizen's talents, training and experience, we are failing the great American dream.

Gallup defines a good job as 30+ hours per week for an organization that provides a regular paycheck. Right now, the U.S. is delivering at a staggeringly low rate of 44%, which is the number of full-time jobs as a percent of the adult population, 18 years and older. We need that to be 50% and a bare minimum of 10 million new, good jobs to replenish America's middle class.

I hear all the time that "unemployment is greatly reduced, but the people aren't feeling it." When the media, talking heads, the White House and Wall Street start reporting the truth -- the percent of Americans in good jobs; jobs that are full time and real -- then we will quit wondering why Americans aren't "feeling" something that doesn't remotely reflect the reality in their lives. And we will also quit wondering what hollowed out the middle class.

Jim Clifton is Chairman and CEO at Gallup.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen