Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default 20 Years since Balance

I saw over the weekend that Balance came out 20 years ago on January 24th. I still remember going up to blockbuster music to listen to 30 second samples of each song a couple of weeks before it was released. I was so stoked for this record. I enjoy it to this day, not as much as some of the others the band has put out but I still isten to it all the time.

The Seventh Seal is probably in the top 5 of most over looked VH songs, it's just a bad ass tune. Don't Tell Me, Amsterdam, Aftershock, Not Enough and Take me back are all great songs IMHO (yes, even amsterdam...I know people get all bent out of shape about the lyrics but I love that tune). Don't really like the instrumentals all that much-strung out is the biggest waste of time on any VH record. Big Fat Money is an OK song, I find the guitar solo boring, I know when the record was released some people thought it was different and neat for ed but I just don't hear it. CSLY is "ok" to me, knowing it was kind of forced (Bruce Fairburn wanted a "pop rock" song for the record) takes away from it. Feelin' to me is just forced and not good, it's VH trying to be really deep and to me on this song it doesn't work. Crossing Over is one of the best tunes the bands ever done, heavy as hell, love the way the vocals bounce back and forth...it's great.

Interesting to look back on everything that happened leading up to Balance and how quickly things fell apart for the band after the tour ended.

I'd say for the most part the band has been off balance since that tour ended, even with Dave back the fans are still split, new music is still few and far between, the Mike controverys, 2004 tour, Ed's health and his stints in rehab etc....

I was gonna write a longer post but I'm super duper busy right now.

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Yep. I've been thinking of this too.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Balance is my favorite album--my favorite sound for Van Halen. I love every song on Balance. That being said, I think this album was just a few decisions away from brilliant. Dropping the instrumentals, adding Crossing Over and Sammy's version of CGTSNM (Backdoor Shuffle), and reordering the tracks would have made the difference.

Side I
    The Seventh Seal
    Don't Tell Me
    Amsterdam
    Aftershock
    Backdoor Shuffle

Side II
    CSLY
    Take Me Back
    Not Enough
    Feelin
    Crossing Over

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 16,546 Times in 9,380 Posts

My favorite from "Balance" ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

7. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Can't believe it's been 20 years since Balance came out! Great memories of that time in my life and I loved Don't tell me when it heard it on the radio. Overall this album has withstood the test of time fairly well imo.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    My favorite from "Balance" ...

personally, I like the japaneese album cover better (that's the image I see on the video preview)

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 695 Times in 281 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    personally, I like the japaneese album cover better (that's the image I see on the video preview)
    Agreed. That and Crossing Over were the MAIN reasons I imported my copy of the album from Japan.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

It wasn’t that VH wasn’t my favorite group but at that time, but I was a junior in college and really got into a lot of the alternative and less traditional hard rock stuff. Nonetheless, I remember counting down the days to the release of the album, especially on the strength of Don’t Tell Me. Seeing the premier of that video on MTV had me pumped and that song really grabbed me.

I was disappointed when I played the CD for the first time. It got to the end of the album and I was like, “that’s it?” I still think that as a complete work, that album is a disjointed mess. Individually, there are some really great songs on it, including two of my favorite VH songs – Don’t Tell Me and Aftershock.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    It wasn’t that VH wasn’t my favorite group but at that time, but I was a junior in college and really got into a lot of the alternative and less traditional hard rock stuff. Nonetheless, I remember counting down the days to the release of the album, especially on the strength of Don’t Tell Me. Seeing the premier of that video on MTV had me pumped and that song really grabbed me.

I was disappointed when I played the CD for the first time. It got to the end of the album and I was like, “that’s it?” I still think that as a complete work, that album is a disjointed mess. Individually, there are some really great songs on it, including two of my favorite VH songs – Don’t Tell Me and Aftershock.

there's something about Balance, I love the majority of the songs on an individual basis but I don't like them grouped together in album context. I don't know if it's the order or the songs or not. I really think the instrumentals screwed this record up for me, the entire record just kind of fizzles for me when I listen to them. Doin time is ok just cause it's cool to hear Al go off like that for once but strung out and beluchetherium (I'm not looking up how to spell it) really do nothing for me, considering that I don't really dig feelin almost the whole final 1/3 of the record is throw away for me and that usually doesn't happen with VH stuff.

I do dig Not Enough, I know it's a piano tune and it's a ballad but it's a great tune, lots of emotion, great individual performances and a great solo by ed. Sam and Ed talked about this tune in an interview they did near the end of the RHRN tour so maybe that's why I dig it so much, in my mind it was written before all the major stuff went down (which I still think didn't really start until after Lefler died), it's got alot of heart and soul in it and I dig that.

shame that song never caught on, the first time I heard it I thought it was gonna be a big hit for them but the album had already run it's course by the time they released it as a single.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Production wise Balance is absolutely killer. Everything sounds huge yet still crystal clear. None of the tunes are duds, but I could probably have lived without a few tracks on here (Doin’ Time, Aftershock, Take Me Back). Feelin’ is good, but it seems like they were trying a bit too hard to write their “Stairway” on that one. Every single other tune completely smokes though. Amsterdam may even be my favorite VH tune with Sammy at the helm.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 1,965 Times in 445 Posts

Donor

For the big anniversary, here's the extensive, new BALANCE page on VHND:

20th Anniversary of Van Halen’s ‘Balance’

Released January 24th, 1995, Balance became Van Halen's fourth consecutive number 1 studio album. It quickly went double platinum— just two months after it's release—proving that this hard rock outfit could do just fine, thank you, during the new grunge era. It was later certified triple platinum, in 2004... (read more)

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    For the big anniversary, here's the extensive, new BALANCE page on VHND:

20th Anniversary of Van Halen’s ‘Balance’

Released January 24th, 1995, Balance became Van Halen's fourth consecutive number 1 studio album. It quickly went double platinum— just two months after it's release—proving that this hard rock outfit could do just fine, thank you, during the new grunge era. It was later certified triple platinum, in 2004... (read more)
    Jeff when are you guys gonna finish the album pages? Seems you've only gotten up to Fair Warning: http://www.vhnd.com/music/
    would love to read more of them.

My take on Balance was it sounded like a band that had gotten bored and maybe a little lazy. Just my take. Don't hate me.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

20 years .... WOW !
    I have great memories of this era . Loved the album and still do . This was back when I was gigging full time . My band listened to the album release party and taped the new songs onto cassette . Gasp

Took the tape home and 'Don't Tell Me' was the first song I taught myself from start to finish , by ear !!! Later bought the tablature book and saw that I was pretty close to nailing it . Made me feel good . My same band used to open with 'Unchained' and go right into 'Don't Tell Me' , when the latter was still brand new on the radio . Great crowd response !!!

Love the tone of the album and the songs themselves too . There's a couple I sometimes skip over , but I can say the same for any album in VH's catalog .
    Crossing Over would've made a good addition to the 'standard' release IMO .

From the album release party , I remember Alex VH saying that Balance was "a guitar record" When the interviewer implied (rightfully so) that ALL VH albums were guitar fests , Alex replied "yeah , but this one is different. I can't explain it , there's just wall to wall guitar . It's a guitar record" Or something like that ...

Balance is the FW of the Sammy era with the band . In my opinion
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

21. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 10,886 Times in 5,729 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    20 years .... WOW !
    I have great memories of this era . Loved the album and still do . This was back when I was gigging full time . My band listened to the album release party and taped the new songs onto cassette . Gasp

Took the tape home and 'Don't Tell Me' was the first song I taught myself from start to finish , by ear !!! Later bought the tablature book and saw that I was pretty close to nailing it . Made me feel good . My same band used to open with 'Unchained' and go right into 'Don't Tell Me' , when the latter was still brand new on the radio . Great crowd response !!!

Love the tone of the album and the songs themselves too . There's a couple I sometimes skip over , but I can say the same for any album in VH's catalog .
    Crossing Over would've made a good addition to the 'standard' release IMO .

From the album release party , I remember Alex VH saying that Balance was "a guitar record" When the interviewer implied (rightfully so) that ALL VH albums were guitar fests , Alex replied "yeah , but this one is different. I can't explain it , there's just wall to wall guitar . It's a guitar record" Or something like that ...

Balance is the FW of the Sammy era with the band . In my opinion
    I remember doing the same thing. I had just moved out of my parent's house the summer before and I remember taping that release show on my old stereo in my dinky one bedroom apartment to listen to before I got the CD. I had just started a band and I remember writing a tune that was similar to "Feelin." Obviously it wasn't as good but that's where the inspiration came from. That's back when I was young and thought that was what I was going to do for the rest of my life. When you're 19 you don't know any better!

Then I got the Guitar World that had Don't Tell Me transcribed and spent the next few months playing that constantly. Funny thing is the transcription said to use a flanger for the intro, but it didn't sound right because that's not what he's doing, he scraping the strings instead of picking them. Took me awhile to figure that out. LOL!
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

^^^ Very cool !!!
    I saw some live clips that confirmed the intro 'scraping' technique . It sounds cool and it's not something the average player would think to do .

You've heard that song 'We're the Greatest' that Eddie did with LL Cool J. right ? The intro has a very similar sounding riff . It reminds me a lot of the beginning of 'Don't Tell Me' , but I think Eddie is using his flanger , in addition to scraping the string slightly .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora