Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 6,820 Times in 3,567 Posts

Premium Member

Default Measles Outbreak at Disneyland

Measles Outbreak at Disneyland: Why Did This Happen?!

Disneyland is no longer The Happiest Place on Earth, thanks to a serious measles outbreak. Forty-two people have contracted measles after visiting the park and nearby Disney California Adventure Park, according to the California Department of Public Health. Last Friday, the health department reported that people who entered the park were no longer at risk of contracting this potentially fatal disease. However, on Wednesday, they announced that a park employee had been diagnosed; therefore, the threat still remains.

How has the measles spread when we have a very effective vaccine against it? It turns out that 82% of people who were infected had NOT been vaccinated. Some were too young to be; however, others simply chose not to vaccinate. I know there are a number of anti-vaccine advocates, but it scary to see the repercussions of not vaccinating children playing out in real life like this. Not only are parents putting their own children in danger by not vaccinating them, parents are also putting other children who are too young to be vaccinated in danger.

Even though measles was considered eliminated in the United States in 2000, there were 644 cases of the disease last year, a record-breaking number, according to the CDC. Why are we moving backward instead of forward here? Anti-vaccine parents are literally giving diseases a second life by ignoring modern advances in medicine, and that really makes me angry.

I applaud Huntington Beach High School, which is located near Disneyland, for sending about two dozen of their students home because they didnít have proof of immunization. It all began when one student showed up to school after winter break with the disease. Can you imagine? I donít think any child who hasnít been vaccinated should be able to attend public school at any time, whether we are dealing with an outbreak or not.

There is no excuse for not vaccinating your child. Iím still hearing that vaccines cause autism, but it is simply not true. The risk of serious allergic reaction caused by a vaccine is very rare, and it is nothing compared to the risk of not getting vaccinated. Letís all get on board here and embrace what modern medicine has to offer us: the gift of a healthier, longer life.

http://www.parents.com/blogs/toddler...c=pmmfb1501245

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:29 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

I don't understand the anti vaccination crowd.

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

A growing number of parents nowadays are choosing not to get their kids vaccinated. This seems to be the result of that. That's great.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 16,506 Times in 9,353 Posts

We have Disneyland passes, but I guess we won't be going anytime soon ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:17 AM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Be interesting to see if they ever get a HIV or Herpes vaccine if those same people would not get it? lol. I did have a childhood friend get the Rubella(German Measles) vaccine at school he got a reaction and had some paralysis on one side of his body was in a wheelchair for about a year but eventually he got his feeling back. His parents sued this was in the 60s.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 16,506 Times in 9,353 Posts

I vividly remember the whole class lining up for the Measles shot in first grade way back in 1971. The shots were administered with something that resembled a Black & Decker power drill. Not fun!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

While some parents choose not to have their children vaccinated. The major contributor to this situation is the massive influx of illegal aliens.
    All you liberals can cry foul but it is simply the truth !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

ďA patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.Ē

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 6,820 Times in 3,567 Posts

Premium Member

13. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

I have some anti-vax "friends" on Facebook who have been curiously silent when I have posted topics on this. I wonder why that is?

I've been a passholder at Disneyland for going on 6, 7 years now, save a 5 month break a couple years ago. This is the first time something other than crowd prediction has caused us to plan differently. Part of it is that my fiance's youngest niece just turned 3. She's not passing for under 3 anymore, so we had to buy a pass for her too--and the Deluxe pass, which is the cheapest one worth anything, is not cheap.

However, at 3, she hasn't had her second MMR shot yet. Her mom will try to get it to her early, but if she can't, we're paying for a pass for a person Disneyland is recommending now not attend their park.

Luckily, we were blocked out during the initial infection period in December, but of course now it turns out that some of those people returned to the park in January, though I have no idea if it was when we visited in January. However, we're only no finding out that some of the infected were Cast Members, meaning I could have interacted with them.

With the way Measles infects, if you're exposed and not immune, you're getting it. Somehow my shot records are missing, and my pediatrician just purged all their old records. But I was vaccinated in the 80s, meaning I likely only got the one shot. So I need the second shot. The question will be whether I go back before or after that second shot.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

I also have some anti vaccination people on my facebook, and I wonder what will happen when one of their children gets seriously ill due to one of these preventable diseases. And it's usually not the disease itself, it's usually the complications, like pneumonia or neurological problems that are devastating. I have one well meaning friend who believes his family will be protected from everything from chickenpox to cancer to EBOLA thru the use of "essential oils". I just don't get it.

They rationale is that children shouldn't be barred from school or public functions because they are not vaccinated, because if everyone else is vaccinated, their child won't become ill and won't infect other vaccinated children

that mystifies me....that you would depend upon other parents getting their kids a shot that you believe dangerous to protect your unvaccinated child is crazy....so what if your screed against vaccination is successful and NO children are vaccinated? We are back to polio epidemics and measles etc

the craziest thing I have heard about are the chickenpox parties where these anti vaccination people take their child to purposely expose them to the virus so that they will get sick and then have immunity.....but then they'll also have the virus hiding in them and are prone to future neurological problems!

Now I do believe that there is some merit in spacing out those shots. Some of the shots now contain so many different virus that I can see there point in wanting to expose their children's undeveloped immune system to fewer virus's at a time and that alone could be made an option that would make more parents confident about vaccinations

It's bad enough that we are getting very close to entering a post anti biotic age, with predictions that as soon as 2040 the most common infections will be anti biotic resistant (India is getting there much sooneer) but we don't need to be bringing back manageable diseases.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:49 AM
    Liked 1,034 Times in 505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

that mystifies me....that you would depend upon other parents getting their kids a shot that you believe dangerous to protect your unvaccinated child is crazy....so what if your screed against vaccination is successful and NO children are vaccinated? We are back to polio epidemics and measles etc

the craziest thing I have heard about are the chickenpox parties where these anti vaccination people take their child to purposely expose them to the virus so that they will get sick and then have immunity.....but then they'll also have the virus hiding in them and are prone to future neurological problems!
    But at least they won't have an alleged increased probability of developing autism.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Last Online

Premium Member

Up to 88 people now. I rattled the cage a little bit on Facebook with an article by a scientist calling out the vaccine "refuseniks" for endangering the people who cannot choose to get vaccinated.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Up to 88 people now. I rattled the cage a little bit on Facebook with an article by a scientist calling out the vaccine "refuseniks" for endangering the people who cannot choose to get vaccinated.
    Good! Keep hold of those bars and don't stop shakin'!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Last Online

Premium Member

So as many as a thousand people may have been exposed in Arizona in Maricopa County. That may not be particularly remarkable except that University of Phoenix Stadium is in Glendale, AZ, which is in Maricopa County.

There's a big game there this weekend, isn't there?

What a clusterfuck.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...abrk/22472171/