Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,778 Times in 6,524 Posts

Premium Member

Default BOB DYLAN: PEOPLE HAVE TO CREATE JOBS BECAUSE GOVERNMENT WONT

In awide-ranging interviewwithAARP Magazine, Bob Dylan offered his thoughts on his new album of Frank Sinatra covers, happiness, and the state of industry in America.

In the interview, Dylans first in nearly three years, the legendary musician said that in spite of those who say happiness in this life does not exist, self-sufficiency creates happiness, and that billionaires should contribute to the American economy by creating jobs for American workers.

The governments not going to create jobs. It doesnt have to, Dylan told the magazine. People have to create jobs, and these big billionaires are the ones who can do it.

Still, Dylan conceded, We dont see that happening.

We see crime and inner cities exploding with people who have nothing to do, turning to drink and drugs, he continued. They could all have work created for them by all these hotshot billionaires. For sure that would create a lot of happiness.

Now, Im not saying they have to Im not talking about communism, Dylan was quick to clarify. But what do they do with their money? Do they use it in virtuous ways?

Dylan added that people with resources could help those struggling with work, but ultimately, it is up to American titans of industry to decide how they want to spend their money.

There are a lot of things wrong in America, and especially in the inner cities, that they could solve, Dylan said. Those are dangerous grounds, and they dont have to be. There are good people there, but theyve been oppressed by lack of work. Those people can all be working at something. These multibillionaires can create industries right here in America. But no one can tell them what to do. God's got to lead them"

http://www.aarp.org/entertainment/st...agazine.1.html

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...vernment-wont/
    "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesnt really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Brook, what are your thoughts on Dylan and what he had to say?

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Well, it's better than it could have been.

I mean, if you're rich rich, you're not stuffing wads of hundreds into your mattress, right? You're either spending it, which is good for the economy, running a business with it, which is good for the economy, investing in the market, which is good for the economy, or you put it in the bank, which in turn gets loaned out, which is good for the economy.

Maybe they are stuffing it in their mattresses, I don't know. Doubt it, though.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:39 AM
    Liked 7,881 Times in 4,607 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah but the government pays so much better, when they do create a job.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

I agree that PEOPLE need to create jobs, not government. Government needs to ensure the climate is right for job creation - but that should be the extent of it. I'm not sure that's what he meant - as he goes off in a bit of a tangent (and I honestly haven't understood a spoken word of his in decades).

I DID need to chuckle at his drugs and drinking and inner city comment; ya, true - however Bob has some serious coin in his pocket, and guess what, he did (a FAIR amount of) drugs and drank.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Hillary would completely disagree with Dylan. In her eyes corporations don't create jobs, it's the government that allows corporations to exist that creates jobs so in essence the government is the job creator.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

He's right but the government needs to stop taxing the blood out of people courageous enough to step out on their own. Here's a little trivia for you, Bob Dylan once recorded a Christian album.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

If people really want to create jobs, then we need to be like the secretaries in the movie "Big" where we all tank our production. But instead of tanking to make everyone look like they are a hard worker, it will cause companies to need to hire more workers to do the same amount of work, thus creating jobs.

Yeah, of course that's a stupid idea, but so is demanding rich people find something for you to do and pay you for it. Here's an idea: go out and create your own job. Find something that needs to be done for someone and ask to be paid for it. Back in the day they called that "initiative."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Cure cancer. When a billionaire gets it they would be happy to send all that cash your way in exchange for it.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    If people really want to create jobs, then we need to be like the secretaries in the movie "Big" where we all tank our production. But instead of tanking to make everyone look like they are a hard worker, it will cause companies to need to hire more workers to do the same amount of work, thus creating jobs.

Yeah, of course that's a stupid idea, but so is demanding rich people find something for you to do and pay you for it. Here's an idea: go out and create your own job. Find something that needs to be done for someone and ask to be paid for it. Back in the day they called that "initiative."
    Adam Carolla has started a motivational podcast on his network called "Take a Knee." It costs, unlike his other shows, but he's thrown a few of them to his subscribers for free.

I'm listening to the Gene Simmons one. In it, they talk about something that I have been talking about for a while: high school isn't practical. Simmons says when he was in junior high, there was a program where business owners would come down and work with the kids. They asked what kind of business they wanted to start. He said, "Cookies." The man asked the group if any of his friends knew how to bake them. One did. Next, he asked who had the money to buy ingredients. None did, so he taught them about shares and had them go out and sell shares so they could buy ingredients.

And so and and so forth.

Point being, they were taught about how to be an entrepreneur, how to run a business, and how to make more than they spend. This was an ongoing program.

Apparently, Simmons opened a lemonade stand. Without money for ingredients, he and a friend went to go pick some other fruit. They sold that at the bus stop, made $2, and got the ingredients.

So Adam talked about how he was a product of LA Unified and that when he graduated, he started cleaning carpets. Simmons said that he, the school, and society would have been better off had they taught him how to start his own carpet cleaning business, Carolla Carpets.

I found it interesting, but it speaks to something larger that I have studied in education. We tend to educate kids by class and prepare them for the jobs we expect them to have, maintaining the status quo.

If you're poor, you tend to be in a school with lots of packet work, worksheets, input/output education. You're not expected to ask questions. Do the work, get the grade. This prepares kids for labor, factory jobs, carpet cleaning, etc.

The middle class tends to do some of that, but they also get some projects, papers, they have class discussions, etc. This prepares them for professional jobs like lawyer, teacher, etc.

The rich, at elite schools, tend to base the entire education around projects and discussions. Often teachers act as an initiator. Students are assigned topics that they teach to the class, empowering kids to learn by doing and teaching. This prepares them to run things, be the boss, have a business, and be CEO.

It's ingrained into our system. Yet, money is the problem, so that's where we focus. We don't want to give poor kids the opportunity to go to one of the other schools. Well, some do, like me. But many don't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I personally feel that you get rid of all non essential studies in High school.

Math, English, and Business should be the only topics taught. Forget History...kids can learn that on their own.

Schools have become bogged down with all these topics, sex ed, Spanish, etc...that are deemed important and they may well be, BUT they're often times just filler to extend out the day. School does NOT need to be 8 hours or whatever it is. Streamline the whole thing.

Too many things that kids have to contend with, when all they need, is the basics that will help them succeed in life.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Math, English, and Business should be the only topics taught. Forget History...kids can learn that on their own.

Schools have become bogged down with all these topics, sex ed, Spanish, etc...that are deemed important and they may well be, BUT they're often times just filler to extend out the day. School does NOT need to be 8 hours or whatever it is. Streamline the whole thing.

Too many things that kids have to contend with, when all they need, is the basics that will help them succeed in life.
    I agree, but we have academics who advise lawyers on what should be taught, and there ya go. The public school system in America is outdated.

But that's what happens when things are heavily regulated--there's little innovation.

A great example is in television. The FCC heavily regulates network television. Cable, pay, and streaming TV have little regulation and respond to market forces.

Where has there been more innovation, network TV or in cable/pay/streaming? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

The guy who started Khan Academy has figured out that schooling should be reversed. You should watch lectures at home (instead of homework) and do guided practice (instead of lecture) at school with the teacher.

Yet public schools haven't even reacted to the fact that the school start times should be reversed. Elementary students should go to school at 7am, jr high should stay the same, and high school kids should go to school at the latest times. If they ever make that change, which is easy and obvious, I'll die of shock. So I am not holding my breath for them to have a copernican shift in how lecture/homework works.

It's too easy to get votes by saying "We need to fund schools!"

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:45 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

That is the recipe for a horrendous education system and the creation of a society of dopes.

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    That is the recipe for a horrendous education system and the creation of a society of dopes.
    Government/Econ is important too. But we'd be better off if kids took an extra poli/sci class instead of having, say, ceramics. French is nice, but it is a waste of time if you can barely write in English and can't balance a checking account. I'm all for trade classes as well.

Some stuff is just for higher learning. As it stands, high school in the US does little to prepare you for adulthood.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Unfortunately, we already have a society of dopes.

It's time to think outside of thebox re public schools.

Learning trades while still in school instead of Spanish or Ceramics.

Apprenticeships while still in school.