Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 78
  1. #1
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default How Black Middle Class Kids Become Poor Adults

    Once they've grown up, African American children are more likely than their white counterparts to backslide into a lower economic group.

    When it comes to financial stability, black Americans are often in much more precarious financial situations than white Americans. Their unemployment rate is higher, and so is the level of poverty within the black community. In 2013, the poverty rate among white Americans was 9.6 percent, among black Americans it was 27.2 percent. And the gap between the wealth of white families and black families has widened to its highest levels since 1989, according to a 2014 study by Pew Research Center.

    The facts of this rift aren’t new, or all that surprising. But perhaps what’s most unsettling about the current economic climate in black America is that when black families attain middle-class status, the likelihood that their children will remain there, or do better, isn’t high.

    American Income Distributions, by Race



    “Even black Americans who make it to the middle class are likely to see their kids fall down the ladder,” writes Richard Reeves, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institute. In a recent blog post Reeves says that seven out of 10 black children who are born to families with income that falls in the middle quintile of the income spectrum will find themselves with income that's one to two quintiles below their parents' during their own adulthood.

    A 2014 study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, which looked at factors like parental income, education, and family structure, shows a similar pattern: Many black Americans not only fail to move up, but show an increased likelihood of backsliding. According to the study, “In recent decades, blacks have experienced substantially less upward intergenerational mobility and substantially more downward intergenerational mobility than whites.”

    The greater probability of slipping back applies to blacks across income groups. According to the Fed study, about 60 percent of black children whose parents had income that fell into the top 50 percent of the distribution saw their own income fall into the bottom half during adulthood. This type of downward slide was common for only 36 percent of white children.

    But the gap in mobility was also significant for lower-class families as well. “For most of the bottom half of the income distribution, the racial differences in upward mobility are consistently between 20 and 30 percent," writes senior economist Bhashkar Mazumder, the study’s author. “If future generations of white and black Americans experience the same rates of intergenerational mobility as these cohorts, we should expect to see that blacks on average would not make any relative progress.”

    The explanations for this phenomenon are varied, but largely hinge on many of the criticisms that already exist in regard to socioeconomics and race in the U.S. Economists cite lower educational attainment, higher rates of single-parent households, and geographic segregation as potential explanations for these trends. The latter determines not only what neighborhoods people live in, but often what types of schools children attend, which could play a role in hindering their educational and professional attainment later on. According to Reeves, "In terms of opportunity, there are still two Americas, divided by race."

    Still, most economists lack a clear, definitive explanation for why, after reaching the middle class, many black American families quickly lose that status as their children fall behind.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...adults/384613/

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,868
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    3,500
    Liked 18,117 Times in 8,948 Posts

    Default

    There is only one statistic that really matters.

    67% of black children are raised in one parent households. Men in the black community in overwhelming numbers do not take responsibility for their own children.

    Yeah, I know, I'm a racist for saying it. But it's the fucking truth.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  3. The Following 8 Members Like This Post:


  4. #3
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,377
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 04:50 AM
    Likes
    2,295
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default How Black Middle Class Kids Become Poor Adults

    DD, I agree with what you are saying for the most part. We (wife and I along with a group of friends) help host a Sunday afternoon kids club that meets in a rough part of town. At peak times we have 75-100 kids (from age 3 on up to 18) on any given day. Its open for the parents to hang out too. A couple of moms do. 0 dads. As the dads go, so goes the family.
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 01.20.15 at 05:53 AM.
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #4
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,634
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Likes
    566
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    Once they've grown up, African American children are more likely than their white counterparts to backslide into a lower economic group.

    When it comes to financial stability, black Americans are often in much more precarious financial situations than white Americans. Their unemployment rate is higher, and so is the level of poverty within the black community. In 2013, the poverty rate among white Americans was 9.6 percent, among black Americans it was 27.2 percent. And the gap between the wealth of white families and black families has widened to its highest levels since 1989, according to a 2014 study by Pew Research Center.

    The facts of this rift aren’t new, or all that surprising. But perhaps what’s most unsettling about the current economic climate in black America is that when black families attain middle-class status, the likelihood that their children will remain there, or do better, isn’t high.

    American Income Distributions, by Race



    “Even black Americans who make it to the middle class are likely to see their kids fall down the ladder,” writes Richard Reeves, a senior fellow at the Brookings Institute. In a recent blog post Reeves says that seven out of 10 black children who are born to families with income that falls in the middle quintile of the income spectrum will find themselves with income that's one to two quintiles below their parents' during their own adulthood.

    A 2014 study from the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, which looked at factors like parental income, education, and family structure, shows a similar pattern: Many black Americans not only fail to move up, but show an increased likelihood of backsliding. According to the study, “In recent decades, blacks have experienced substantially less upward intergenerational mobility and substantially more downward intergenerational mobility than whites.”

    The greater probability of slipping back applies to blacks across income groups. According to the Fed study, about 60 percent of black children whose parents had income that fell into the top 50 percent of the distribution saw their own income fall into the bottom half during adulthood. This type of downward slide was common for only 36 percent of white children.

    But the gap in mobility was also significant for lower-class families as well. “For most of the bottom half of the income distribution, the racial differences in upward mobility are consistently between 20 and 30 percent," writes senior economist Bhashkar Mazumder, the study’s author. “If future generations of white and black Americans experience the same rates of intergenerational mobility as these cohorts, we should expect to see that blacks on average would not make any relative progress.”

    The explanations for this phenomenon are varied, but largely hinge on many of the criticisms that already exist in regard to socioeconomics and race in the U.S. Economists cite lower educational attainment, higher rates of single-parent households, and geographic segregation as potential explanations for these trends. The latter determines not only what neighborhoods people live in, but often what types of schools children attend, which could play a role in hindering their educational and professional attainment later on. According to Reeves, "In terms of opportunity, there are still two Americas, divided by race."

    Still, most economists lack a clear, definitive explanation for why, after reaching the middle class, many black American families quickly lose that status as their children fall behind.

    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...adults/384613/
    The headline says "How black middle class kids become black lower class adults," yet spends 90% of the article describing the problem.

    The last line admits they don't know why. In this case, I think the how and why are synonymous, which means the headline isn't supported by the article.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  7. #5
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,087
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

    Default

    DD is completely right.

    Divorce (or never being married and the parents splitting) is the primary reason for this issue. My sister-in-law and her husband were firmly middle class two years ago. Vacationed twice a year, young daughter, things were good. The seperated and my SIL is now searching the internet for information on govt benefits for poor single moms. Had they stayed together they'd still be middle class.

    This is the main reason (never mind all of the other noise about people falling behind) that people are worse off today than they were a generation ago. Heightened expectations (usually unreasonable ones) plus an inability to keep a family together is killing our generation.

  8. #6
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    DD is completely right.

    Divorce (or never being married and the parents splitting) is the primary reason for this issue. My sister-in-law and her husband were firmly middle class two years ago. Vacationed twice a year, young daughter, things were good. The seperated and my SIL is now searching the internet for information on govt benefits for poor single moms. Had they stayed together they'd still be middle class.

    This is the main reason (never mind all of the other noise about people falling behind) that people are worse off today than they were a generation ago. Heightened expectations (usually unreasonable ones) plus an inability to keep a family together is killing our generation.
    You can't force something if it's not working. I think people need to have an exit strategy if this whole marriage thing doesn't work out, because quite often they don't. You can't rely on the notion that you are going to be taken care of for the rest of your life.

    It would be nice if every married couple stayed happily married for 40 years, but that's not reality. In fact, a strong argument could be made against marriage obviously due to statistics and through the concept that monogamy isn't natural. Lucky for me though, I am very happily married.
    Last edited by Hot Sauce; 01.20.15 at 08:47 AM.

  9. #7
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    48
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,377
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 04:50 AM
    Likes
    2,295
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default How Black Middle Class Kids Become Poor Adults

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    ...Iucky for me though, I am very happily married.
    But is your wife? :P
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  11. #8
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,087
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    You can't force something if it's not working. I think people need to have an exit strategy if this whole marriage thing doesn't work out, because quite often they don't. You can't rely on the notion that you are going to be taken care of for the rest of your life.

    It would be nice if every married couple stayed happily married for 40 years, but that's not reality. In fact, a strong argument could be made against marriage obviously due to statistics and through the concept that monogamy isn't natural. Lucky for me though, I am very happily married.
    it's not about being taken care of for the rest of your life. It's an issue of having X dollars in family income and that being more than enough to finance one household and then trying to have it finance 2 with that money. The math will bite you in the ass every time if you're a middle class family. My wife and I make almost the exact same amount of money and we're firmly in the upper middle class. We have a pretty good life. If we split we'd both be dead broke if we wanted anything near the same lifestyle for our 3 kids.

    This is the main issue with today's middle class vs the last generation - it's not the 1% that are holding them down. They just don't stay together. They have this ridiculous notion of "you can't force something so you need to have an exit strategy" - marriage isn't a stock that you have a stop loss order on. If you don't have kids it's one thing, you're not happy - leave. Who cares? Once you have kids, the decision to break up basically means your kids will very likely grow up poor (and certainly poorer). I'm sure my parents didn't feel like they were 100% happy at times in their marriage, I'm sure all of our parents have the same story. But being poor sucks and they knew that. Nowadays people figure "I can do it on my own", that is until reality slaps you in the face and you end end broke and miserable. If the divorce rate today was the 1960s rate, I bet you'd have a lot less people who were pissed about how hard they had it financially.

  12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  13. #9
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    it's not about being taken care of for the rest of your life. It's an issue of having X dollars in family income and that being more than enough to finance one household and then trying to have it finance 2 with that money. The math will bite you in the ass every time if you're a middle class family. My wife and I make almost the exact same amount of money and we're firmly in the upper middle class. We have a pretty good life. If we split we'd both be dead broke if we wanted anything near the same lifestyle for our 3 kids.

    This is the main issue with today's middle class vs the last generation - it's not the 1% that are holding them down. They just don't stay together. They have this ridiculous notion of "you can't force something so you need to have an exit strategy" - marriage isn't a stock that you have a stop loss order on. If you don't have kids it's one thing, you're not happy - leave. Who cares? Once you have kids, the decision to break up basically means your kids will very likely grow up poor (and certainly poorer). I'm sure my parents didn't feel like they were 100% happy at times in their marriage, I'm sure all of our parents have the same story. But being poor sucks and they knew that. Nowadays people figure "I can do it on my own", that is until reality slaps you in the face and you end end broke and miserable. If the divorce rate today was the 1960s rate, I bet you'd have a lot less people who were pissed about how hard they had it financially.
    My point is that I don't think people should stay together if the marriage isn't working. Outside of having a child together, are you suggesting that people should stay married for financial comfort, when they don't love each other anymore? Many people are no longer wanting to live in denial and waste their life in an unhappy marriage - that's the difference between now and past generations.

  14. #10
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,087
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    My point is that I don't think people should stay together if the marriage isn't working. Outside of having a child together, are you suggesting that people should stay married for financial comfort, when they don't love each other anymore? Many people are no longer wanting to live in denial and waste their life in an unhappy marriage - that's the difference between now and past generations.
    I think having a child should change the mindset of people completely - for many it doesn't. It sounds like bs but once you have a kid that person's well being should be more important than yours. I live in a house of 5 people and my happiness (for me) is a distant 5th - my wife's happiness and my kids is WAY more important. I think this is part of the narcissism epidemic hitting us. The "I'm not happy right now" so we're breaking up crap. It's the "I want to do this and if my spouse doesn't like it, i don't care" thing. I've been married 10+ years, there's been a tonne of times I wasn't happy and I'm sure my wife has had them too. It's called life. My mother use to always say "I'd like a lot of things" when one of the kids complained about wanting something and not getting it. I didn't get it then, I do now.

    Now, I'm not saying you stay with someone who is beating you up, but I think people are unwilling to figure shit out these days and that's the cause of many of the problems we see in society today.

  15. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  16. #11
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,868
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    3,500
    Liked 18,117 Times in 8,948 Posts

    Default

    Outside of infidelity, I am not leaving my wife. Period. I made a commitment to her, and more importantly, to our children. I am not saying that we should expect all children to have two parent households, that is unachievable, but only people with blinders on can't recognize that single mother households are a huge problem.

    One person just can't do it all and do it well. You can't be the primary bread winner and care giver and do them both well, there are just not enough hours in the day, especially if your job is not a standard 9-5, which for most people it isn't.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  18. #12
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,266
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,317
    Liked 6,313 Times in 3,174 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    DD, I agree with what you are saying for the most part. We (wife and I along with a group of friends) help host a Sunday afternoon kids club that meets in a rough part of town. At peak times we have 75-100 kids (from age 3 on up to 18) on any given day. Its open for the parents to hang out too. A couple of moms do. 0 dads. As the dads go, so goes the family.
    thats a hell of a noble thing to do TVH. It's good to know others reach out and try to help these kids. I do it with addicted kids. Good on ya bro

  19. #13
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think having a child should change the mindset of people completely - for many it doesn't. It sounds like bs but once you have a kid that person's well being should be more important than yours. I live in a house of 5 people and my happiness (for me) is a distant 5th - my wife's happiness and my kids is WAY more important. I think this is part of the narcissism epidemic hitting us. The "I'm not happy right now" so we're breaking up crap. It's the "I want to do this and if my spouse doesn't like it, i don't care" thing. I've been married 10+ years, there's been a tonne of times I wasn't happy and I'm sure my wife has had them too. It's called life. My mother use to always say "I'd like a lot of things" when one of the kids complained about wanting something and not getting it. I didn't get it then, I do now.

    Now, I'm not saying you stay with someone who is beating you up, but I think people are unwilling to figure shit out these days and that's the cause of many of the problems we see in society today.
    If my parents didn't love each other anymore or the marriage just wasn't working - I wouldn't want them to stay together. What's to figure out? How to stay in a soul sucking unhappy marriage and then regret the life you have led when you are 65? There are countless examples of divorce and the successful children that have come from that.

  20. #14
    Banned!
    Join Date
    10.05.14
    Posts
    1,084
    Last Online

    02.15.15 @ 06:38 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Outside of infidelity, I am not leaving my wife. Period. I made a commitment to her, and more importantly, to our children. I am not saying that we should expect all children to have two parent households, that is unachievable, but only people with blinders on can't recognize that single mother households are a huge problem.

    One person just can't do it all and do it well. You can't be the primary bread winner and care giver and do them both well, there are just not enough hours in the day, especially if your job is not a standard 9-5, which for most people it isn't.
    And this also applies in the case of you no longer loving your wife and the marriage sucking the life from you?

  21. #15
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,087
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 05:17 AM
    Likes
    1,314
    Liked 6,674 Times in 3,699 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Sauce View Post
    If my parents didn't love each other anymore or the marriage just wasn't working - I wouldn't want them to stay together. What's to figure out? How to stay in a soul sucking unhappy marriage and then regret the life you have led when you are 65? There are countless examples of divorce and the successful children that have come from that.
    sucking the life out of you? why do 10 times as many people seem to have this problem now as opposed to when our parents for married?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 123
    Last Post: 01.22.15, 12:22 PM
  2. 7 Things The Middle Class Can't Afford Anymore
    By It's Mike in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11.20.14, 05:02 AM
  3. Colorado Springs student uses black-face to be MLK for class project
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05.18.12, 05:42 AM
  4. SURPRISE! TAX HIKE FOR MIDDLE CLASS...
    By ScottyBHarris in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08.03.09, 08:52 AM
  5. More Than One in Four American Adults Now Obese
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 07.22.08, 06:24 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •