Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default NGD Peavey Wolfgang

So today for my birthday I was surprised with a Purple Quilt 1997(My birth year), Serial 1355 Pat Pending Wolfgang. It plays amazing (Im yet to try it with my amp) and looks amazing. Just out of curiosity, is there much or any difference between the Pat Pending models and the later models?

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

This site has a lot of info about wolfgangs. It might help out.

http://www.rocknrollweekend.com/index2.html

I was always under the impression it was just more valuable.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

Some of the allure of the first year quilts were the guys who were making them and the woods they used. ALL of the first year quilts Ive owned sounded and felt better to me than all subsequent years I owned. There is supposedly only 1000 first year quilts out there so take care of it, they used to sell for a lot but the market for them has dropped a bit in recent years.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

btw, I do believe we need some pics

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

I've had three Archtop Wolfgangs. I'm down to two. And I played a whole bunch of them. They all sound and play the same. Except for one. My Pat. Pending black Archtop. The fret board edge has a lot more wood missing from the beveling process. Makes it feel more broken in. Neck just feels better than all the others to me. The Peavey logo on the headstock is some kind of raised gold leaf or something. It's not just painted on like all the others I've seen. And for some reason it sounds different. Less fuzzy/fizzy. More of an open type growl to it.

So the beveled edge and gold leaf Peavey I think are the differences between Pat. Pendings and the rest of the Archtop Wolfs.

I was playing my tobacco burst Archtop last night. The Peavey is a great guitar!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It plays great the neck does feel very broken in with soft edges for sure, way nicer than the fender evhs that I've played by far. Still waiting to plug in though. Also trying to figure out how to upload photos on my phone

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I used to worry about stuff like this, but the older I get, the less it matters to me. I'm not going to talk myself out of a Peavey Wolfgang if I love the way it plays and sounds, but it's not a Pat. Pending model. I'm also not going to envy someone that has a Pat. Pending model if I don't. There's just not enough of a difference between them to matter.

That being said, I've owned every different model of Peavey Wolfgang from different years (except Custom Shop). I can tell you the most noticable difference between the Pat. Pending vs. later years were some minor cosmetic changes, like the "Peavey" on the headstock changing from a gold film applique to gold paint. The signature burned into the headstock didn't seem as prominent on later models. Those 2 things could lead one to believe that they were trying to cheapen the guitars up a little, and that quality dropped off when these things started.

It was my experience that my late model Wolfgang Flametop Special (USA) was just as high of quality as my Pat. Pending Standard (what we used to call the higher end model) It was set up well, no issues with tone, fit or finish.

It's worth mentioning that my favorite of all of the Wolfgangs I owned was a solid black Wolfgang Standard (Pat. Pending). This particular model did not sport the maple cap. For some reason, that particular guitar just felt better in the neck, and had a tone that I loved. Was it because it was a Pat. Pending model? I don't think so, because my Trans Purple Pat. pending Standard, and my Gold-Top Pat. Pending weren't my favorites among the rest of my Wolfgangs. After my Solid Black Pat. Pending Standard, my second favorite was the late model Flame-Top Special.

I think each guitar has the potential to be either the greatest guitar you've ever owned, or just ok, regardless of the price or the name on the headstock. Some guitars just have that special something that you can't explain.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: