Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    In fact both those guys pale in comparison to Gary Cherone
    interesting... personally I can't stand Cherone's lyrics at all

"I'm a peek-a-boy looking at girls, and I think I like what I see" wins 'worst vh lyric ever' for me.

also his lyrics on Extreme's Waiting For The Punchline are horrendous, 'Naked' being a particularly bad example. (although I do like that album overall, Nino Battenburg's playing is great)

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

04.17.19 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wrr20891 View Post
    Who is this and what have you done with Kevin?
    Blame my 12-year-old son! He played "5150" back to back about 15 times. Keep in mind that's his first exposure. He didn't realize it was the song "5150". He asked what the song is, I said, "5150." He goes, "No, not the album, the song." I said, "It's 5150, dude." "No, that's not it. The one that he tunes way down on." "5150?!" He got his cassette player and goes "This one!" I said, "IT'S 5150, EVAN!!!"

Then he surprised me by asking what the song was about. I told him it's about one person willing to compromise and another that won't. I told him I thought "Why draw the line and meet you half the way when you don't (even) know what that means" -- I told him I thought that was an excellent lyric. But I also said I thought it may be his best lyrics.

My son blew me away even further. We've never talked about this particular facet of VH, but Evan goes, "I love how the solo on this song is completely different than the rest of the song." I told him that was one of Ed's trademarks from VH2 on. I pointed out a few examples and he realized that was something that he knew all along but never brought up analytically.

To underscore that, I showed him the solo to "Summer Nights." I love my kid. He said, "That sounds like 1984, like the 'Top Jimmy' solo." I said not only that, but that I was almost 100% sure that that's Frankenstein on the "Summer Nights" solo. I told him that yeah, everyone knows BOBW is a rip-off of "Celebrate" -- but I told him that no one ever thought that at the time. At least I didn't nor did anyone I know. It actually took several years for me to put that together. But it made so much better when Kook & The Gang opened up -- I kept singing "I want the best of both worlds!" over the chorus. Funny.

I also learned how to play "Summer Nights" the hard way back in the day and it only took me a second to pick it back up. I love to play that song. Finger pick in Bf, sounds just like it!

KBD3

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Your 12 year old has more brains than half the people that post here.
    Cabo x 25
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

The Full Bug
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

04.17.19 @ 03:27 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

You know what's beautiful about it?

His ears are pure.

He hasn't read my book -- I won't let him yet. He knows I'm all Dave all the time. My GF is as well -- very lucky for me. I said to her, "I can't believe my son's favorite song right now is a Sammy Hagar Van Halen song." She said, "I'm not sure I'm okay with that!" Evan immediately goes, "It's a GREAT song!"

He wasn't there for the split. He wasn't there for the backslide. He wasn't there for Ed's dark period. He knows nothing of III.

He is a lyrical snob though -- he cannot stand (to put it lightly) Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber unlike a lot of 12-year-olds -- he knows their lyrics are disposable garbage. I raised him on The Beatles and Elvis and Rush and CVH and Hendrix, principally. He'll call out Sammy's sub-par lyrics in two seconds. He's loving the guitar work on the album and "Inside" is also one of his favorites, and I realize it's one of mine as well. I love it. The changes in it and the guitar solo are crazy awesome. But man -- I can't describe his feelings on "Dreams" and "Love Walks In" accurately. So because we listen to the album in the car through my phone, we "have" to skip over those two songs every single time, and it's a pain the ass to fumble for the phone and hit the "next" arrow and stuff. So, Evan asked me the other day, "Dad? Can you take those two off your phone?" Amazing. From his perspective, he simply wants to delete them from the catalog -- both in his mind and on my phone. That trips me out.

The other thing we are really into right now is the Wild Life soundtrack. We've listened to all of those songs a dozen times lately. "Top Down" is the greatest not-VH VH song EVER.

KBD3

I'm The One
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 02:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-Liked25,000 VHL Life PointsOld Guard

Yup. He's coming in "brand new". No agenda, no part of the soap opera. Glad he is able to enjoy the band for the great music they made no matter who was part of it at the time. He's a lucky kid .
    Cabo x 25
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post

His ears are pure.

He hasn't read my book -- I won't let him yet. He knows I'm all Dave all the time. My GF is as well -- very lucky for me. I said to her, "I can't believe my son's favorite song right now is a Sammy Hagar Van Halen song." She said, "I'm not sure I'm okay with that!" Evan immediately goes, "It's a GREAT song!"

He wasn't there for the split. He wasn't there for the backslide. He wasn't there for Ed's dark period. He knows nothing of III.

He is a lyrical snob though -- he cannot stand (to put it lightly) Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber unlike a lot of 12-year-olds -- he knows their lyrics are disposable garbage. I raised him on The Beatles and Elvis and Rush and CVH and Hendrix, principally. He'll call out Sammy's sub-par lyrics in two seconds. He's loving the guitar work on the album and "Inside" is also one of his favorites, and I realize it's one of mine as well. I love it. The changes in it and the guitar solo are crazy awesome. But man -- I can't describe his feelings on "Dreams" and "Love Walks In" accurately. So because we listen to the album in the car through my phone, we "have" to skip over those two songs every single time, and it's a pain the ass to fumble for the phone and hit the "next" arrow and stuff. So, Evan asked me the other day, "Dad? Can you take those two off your phone?" Amazing. From his perspective, he simply wants to delete them from the catalog -- both in his mind and on my phone. That trips me out.

The other thing we are really into right now is the Wild Life soundtrack. We've listened to all of those songs a dozen times lately. "Top Down" is the greatest not-VH VH song EVER.

KBD3
    I'm as pro Dave-era as they come, but I don't get the hatred for "Dreams" or "Love Walks In". Those are two extremely well-crafted songs from, IMO, the best album from the Sammy-era.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

05.21.20 @ 04:56 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedVHLinks Proud!50,000 VHL Life Points

He is a lyrical snob though -- he cannot stand (to put it lightly) Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber unlike a lot of 12-year-olds -- he knows their lyrics are disposable garbage. I raised him on The Beatles and Elvis and Rush and CVH and Hendrix, principally. He'll call out Sammy's sub-par lyrics in two seconds.
    nice to see he's not into the default teen music these days. You raised him well ;-) Surprised he hasn't heard 5150 until now!!

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

05.08.19 @ 10:10 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I wonder if there was this type of pathological division among the fan base of "Bewitched" when they switched Darrens?
    Darn right there is! Anyone who doesn't see a huge decline in the show when Sargent replaced York (heh....Sergeant York) can't be my friend.

Also....M*A*S*H was better with Trapper John, Frank Burns, and Col. Blake. Hunnicutt was an especially bad replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    the bottom line is that sam fans-for the most part-let a lot of things slide but heaven forbid you rag on Dave for anything. Once you do you get the usual clowns that just can't stand anyone not wanting to blow Dave losing their minds. Look how many times people have ragged on sammy for being fat, compare those reactions Sam fans to the reaction some of the Dave guys had when people said they didn't like Dave's knew bald tattoo'd look....it's like night and day.
    I'm a Dave era fan (except for F.U.C.K.) and I've recently criticized Dave's current singing style, Eddie's weight gain, Eddie's playing post Fair Warning, and Alex's drumming on Outta Love Again. So there isn't a hard and fast rule on that stuff.

Edit: Inspired to listen to 5150. Actually like the guitar sound more than 1984...which isn't the biggest compliment in the world from me since I didn't like his guitar on 1984. Drums sound buried. Mike is chained to 8th notes.

Still doesn't sound like the same band to me. I like the guitar riffs but the same feeling comes back to me. I don't like the melodies Sammy sings. Most of the time it doesn't actually sound like a melody....sounds like he is just singing "stuff" on top of the riffs...I don't hear any hooks. The choruses aren't bad. (note: I was a Sammy fan before he joined the band) Lyrics don't matter to me in the slightest....I only listen to the melody with singers.

Unlike some, I like the two keyboardy ballads the most. Dreams and Love Walks In sound like well put together songs and Eddie's solos are even cool. It's almost like he put more effort into the solos on the keyboard songs. (I feel the same way about Jump and I'll Wait by the way) Definitely like Sammy's singing on those the most.
    Last edited by Harpospoke; 01.21.15 at 05:02 PM.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

MWM
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

His ears are pure.

KBD3
    Cool post. God bless your kid. Seriously.

("Respect the Wind" for me, all day. )
    Last edited by 316/411; 01.22.15 at 02:47 PM.

Bullethead

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

MWM
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I've recently criticized Dave's current singing style, Eddie's weight gain, Eddie's playing post Fair Warning, and Alex's drumming on Outta Love Again.
    I don't drum, but I'm way into rhythm, and the drumming on this track blows me away. Can you reiterate your complaint? I don't think I saw it, and I'm fascinated by this.

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 316/411 View Post
    I don't drum, but I'm way into rhythm, and the drumming on this track blows me away. Can you reiterate your complaint? I don't think I saw it, and I'm fascinated by this.
    I'm sometimes put off by "over-drumming". (As it sounds to me anyway) Like, I've never liked Mitch Mitchell (listen to him ruin "Angel") or Keith Moon because it just sounds like they won't shut up when the song needs a groove. One of the reasons I like John Bonham so much is that he emerged from that busy-drumming era with the ability to know what not to play. He had all the chops in the world...but could just lay back and play what he played on Kashmire and it was amazing. Moon or Mitchell would have ruined it with snare hits, ghost notes, and cymbals all over the place.

So I always wanted more Bonham and less Moon/Mitchell on the verses with that nasty mean riff. (go nuts for the other parts) Seems like it would have enhanced the power of that riff if the drum part was a simple driving punch to the head. I really wonder if Alex was doing coke that day.

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

05.30.20 @ 08:28 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!150,000 VHL Life Points
    Awards:
    The Congeniality Award

I'm sometimes put off by "over-drumming". (As it sounds to me anyway) Like, I've never liked Mitch Mitchell (listen to him ruin "Angel") or Keith Moon because it just sounds like they won't shut up when the song needs a groove. One of the reasons I like John Bonham so much is that he emerged from that busy-drumming era with the ability to know what not to play. He had all the chops in the world...but could just lay back and play what he played on Kashmire and it was amazing. Moon or Mitchell would have ruined it with snare hits, ghost notes, and cymbals all over the place.

So I always wanted more Bonham and less Moon/Mitchell on the verses with that nasty mean riff. (go nuts for the other parts) Seems like it would have enhanced the power of that riff if the drum part was a simple driving punch to the head. I really wonder if Alex was doing coke that day.
    He he, and I love Mitchell and Moon precisely because they do what you hate. To me they're Ed on drums, perhaps a bit of over-playing but still tasty.

To each their own...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Yesterday @ 07:48 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

I couldn't disagree more regarding Alex's drumming on "Outta Love Again". In fact, it might be my all-time favorite performance by AVH ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Romeo Delight

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Agreed 1000%, its my favourite drum track of all time

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I couldn't disagree more regarding Alex's drumming on "Outta Love Again". In fact, it might be my all-time favorite performance by AVH ...

I actually like it after "Saying that you're leaving...". Awesome actually. But there is soooooo much snare over Eddie's cool main riff it drives me a little crazy.

Doesn't help that my band has had to use some sub drummers recently who were snare freaks. Throws me off. I'm always so happy to get our regular drummer back....he's tasty and knows when to play with restraint.