Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Default Controversial "Free Range Parenting" AKA how most of us were raised

the opposite of "helicopter parenting" "free range parenting" tries to give kids back some freedom, and trust, teaching them self reliance, how to entertain themselves and how to protect themselves.

but our world has changed, and to that change we seem to be over reacting, over indulging, over protecting and over scheduling our kids in order to give them, the perfect childhood we never had. But maybe those lazy summers filled with bug catching and hammock swinging and bike riding instead of art classes and reading lists really were the perfect childhood?
    http://www.freerangekids.com/

Mom gets heat for letting her 9 year old ride the subway alone
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/23932919#23932919

These parents were arrested after allowing their 10 and 6 year old to walk one mile home from the library
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-park-own.html

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 6,669 Times in 3,696 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    the opposite of "helicopter parenting" "free range parenting" tries to give kids back some freedom, and trust, teaching them self reliance, how to entertain themselves and how to protect themselves.

but our world has changed, and to that change we seem to be over reacting, over indulging, over protecting and over scheduling our kids in order to give them, the perfect childhood we never had. But maybe those lazy summers filled with bug catching and hammock swinging and bike riding instead of art classes and reading lists really were the perfect childhood?
    http://www.freerangekids.com/

Mom gets heat for letting her 9 year old ride the subway alone
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/21134540/vp/23932919#23932919

These parents were arrested after allowing their 10 and 6 year old to walk one mile home from the library
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-park-own.html
    they were arrested? Geez, that's an incredible overreaction.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

my understanding is that the kids were picked up by police and the parents were called and when they found out the kids were walking home with the parents permission a CPS investigation was opened and the parents have been charged.

you know, child abduction by strangers, tragic and horrific as it is, is VERY RARE. Most Amber alerts are parental or family abductions.

but it is the wide spread media coverage of cases like Etan Patz that put such fear in the heart of parents

and we have the whole "Stranger Danger" program, which is essential, but most children who are molested are molested by someone they know...a family member, neighbor, family friend.

http://news.discovery.com/human/psyc...are-130514.htm

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

my understanding is that the kids were picked up by police and the parents were called and when they found out the kids were walking home with the parents permission a CPS investigation was opened and the parents have been charged.

you know, child abduction by strangers, tragic and horrific as it is, is VERY RARE. Most Amber alerts are parental or family abductions.

but it is the wide spread media coverage of cases like Etan Patz that put such fear in the heart of parents

and we have the whole "Stranger Danger" program, which is essential, but most children who are molested are molested by someone they know...a family member, neighbor, family friend.

http://news.discovery.com/human/psyc...are-130514.htm
    i guess the question is why were they picked up by the cops if they were merely walking home from the library. My son is 7 and if he walked to school with the 10 year old next door, I'd like to think a cop wouldn't pull them off the street.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Agreed. I argued with my brother about this. He would mention how things were worse now when I asked why the kids don't go and hang out somewhere.

Meanwhile we both grew up in NYC in the 70s. I saw a mob related killing when I was 4. We walked to the playground to play baseball and football when we were 10.

Recently he worried about them going off to college. He said it was because they were really immature for their age. The above information was completely lost on him.

This generation is the "p***y generation".

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

At 31, I tend to be on the younger side of people on this site and fall into the "millennial" category, but even I think is completely stupid. It's going to sound stupid at first, but society has become FAR too protective of kids. It's to the point that kids run the household, not the parents. Spank your children? Get investigated. Let your kids go out and play unsupervised? Get investigated. Whether it's warning labels on every piece of equipment a child may come in contact with, or the need to have locked gates around pools and trampolines (because some other kid won't be held responsible if he gets injured trespassing onto your property), or the need to eliminate everything in school with sugar in it because your kid doesn't understand will power, our society has tried to bubble wrap our children. In my opinion it is to their detriment.

You can't even lead a one household crusade against this stuff because it's getting to the point that parents are being overruled by the government. It seems some people think that the old adage of "it takes a village to raise a child" take that to mean "so we need to tell the parents what the village approves of."
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

really? You think kids run the household these days?

How about this

Okeechobee dad calls deputy to witness spanking
    Scott Sutton wptv

OKEECHOBEE, Fla. - A father in Okeechobee County called the sheriff's office Monday to witness him spank his daughter and prevent any chance of accusations that he broke the law.

Deputy Joseph Hall said in his report that he was called to a home in the 3300 block of SW 18th St. at 7:16 p.m. in reference to "juvenile problems."

A father at the home, Dale Garcia, said he had just returned home from Walmart and learned his two 12-year-old daughters had been arguing.

Garcia said one of the girls locked herself in her bedroom but her sister used a knife to pick the lock. The girls admitted to the deputy they had been fighting over a tablet.

The father said he wanted to paddle the daughter who had the knife but called the deputy to witness the spanking.

Hall said he stood by while Garcia spanked the girl "four times on her buttocks".

“Since no crime had been committed, this case is closed and no further action is required,” the deputy concluded his report.

So, how often does this happen?

“It happens,” said OCSO Major Noel Stephen. “And has happened several times in the past. But it’s definitely not something we advertise to do. It’s a call here and there.”

“And even though law enforcement has been willing to help out in this situation, watching a parent discipline their child is something that’s done only when a deputy has no other calls to handle.”

Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

he called the cops to come witness him spanking his kid and the cop actually went? What the hell is wrong with these people, cops are being paid to serve as witnesses now? that's just ridiculous.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:22 AM
    Liked 2,209 Times in 1,113 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    he called the cops to come witness him spanking his kid and the cop actually went? What the hell is wrong with these people, cops are being paid to serve as witnesses now? that's just ridiculous.
    It's sad, but he probably felt he had to do it otherwise he would be charged with abuse.

Like I said, kids run the house these days whether they know it or not. It's no exaggeration to say our parents would be in jail if they parented under these same standards.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    It's sad, but he probably felt he had to do it otherwise he would be charged with abuse.

Like I said, kids run the house these days whether they know it or not. It's no exaggeration to say our parents would be in jail if they parented under these same standards.
    I'm just hoping that if i called the cops here with that request that i'd be told to stop wasting their time. Also if you're still spanking your 12 year old daughters as discipline and thinking that calling cops as backup is a good idea, well maybe this isn't the type of dude we want raising kids.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:18 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

really? You think kids run the household these days?

How about this

Okeechobee dad calls deputy to witness spanking
    Scott Sutton wptv

OKEECHOBEE, Fla. - A father in Okeechobee County called the sheriff's office Monday to witness him spank his daughter and prevent any chance of accusations that he broke the law.

Deputy Joseph Hall said in his report that he was called to a home in the 3300 block of SW 18th St. at 7:16 p.m. in reference to "juvenile problems."

A father at the home, Dale Garcia, said he had just returned home from Walmart and learned his two 12-year-old daughters had been arguing.

Garcia said one of the girls locked herself in her bedroom but her sister used a knife to pick the lock. The girls admitted to the deputy they had been fighting over a tablet.

The father said he wanted to paddle the daughter who had the knife but called the deputy to witness the spanking.

Hall said he stood by while Garcia spanked the girl "four times on her buttocks".

“Since no crime had been committed, this case is closed and no further action is required,” the deputy concluded his report.

So, how often does this happen?

“It happens,” said OCSO Major Noel Stephen. “And has happened several times in the past. But it’s definitely not something we advertise to do. It’s a call here and there.”

“And even though law enforcement has been willing to help out in this situation, watching a parent discipline their child is something that’s done only when a deputy has no other calls to handle.”

Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc.
    Must be a county thing.
    I've heard from friends down there that spanking your child is legal,as long as it doesn't leave any marks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 4,791 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

Okeechobee is from what I remember bass fishing country. Probably common to spank kids there.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

yeah, it's poor and rural. I'll bet one or two things are at play here

1 The guy is already on probation for something and doesn't want to violate probation

2 he's seen kids removed from families by CPS and doesn't want to get his family caught up in that mess.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Okeechobee is from what I remember bass fishing country. Probably common to spank kids there.
    "Wish I was camped out on the Okeechobee."

Hank Jr.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Red

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member