Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,357 Posts

Default Retired football player swims 9 miles after falling off his boat

Maybe he really is a Dolphin. They say if you look at how the currents carried him, he traveled 16 miles. Man, he has got to be pruney.

https://gma.yahoo.com/ex-miami-dolph...opstories.html

A former NFL player gave an emotional account of surviving a nine-mile swim to the Florida shore after falling off his boat and how he "prayed to God" to be rescued.

"I shouldn't be here," Robert Konrad, 38, who played for the Miami Dolphins from 1999 to 2004, told reporters today when describing his approximately 16 hours in the water.

Ex Miami Dolphin Player Falls Overboard, Swims 9 Miles to Shore

Former Miami Dolphin Player Remains in Hospital After Falling from Boat off Florida Coast

Konrad was offshore when he fell from his 38-foot boat as he was trying to reel in a fish Wednesday night just as a large wave hit off the coast of Florida near Palm Beach. He was alone at the time.

"I've operated boats my whole life as a kid," Konrad said. "You take boater safety courses and think nothing happens to you."

He described the frustration of seeing Coast Guard helicopters that didn't spot him. He faced darkness, 10-foot waves and 25-mile-per-hour winds while his boat moved away on autopilot. Despite being bitten by jellyfish and seeing a shark circle him, he kept swimming.

He said he "prayed to God" to send a boat or Coast Guard.

"After some time I said, 'Look I'm not dying tonight and I'm going to make it to shore,'" Konrad said.

Konrad said he would alternate between the breaststroke and backstroke.

"I don't think I truly knew what was ahead of me," Konrad said, and he played "a lot of mind games to keep me going." But what really kept Konrad motivated were his "two beautiful daughters."

Once he reached shore, he said it was "bittersweet" because he couldn't walk.

"I had hypothermia and my body was shaking uncontrollably. I didn't realize it was five in the morning," he said.

He reached land Thursday morning and was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital with hypothermia.

His wife Tammy told reporters that the "whole night was beyond terrifying."

"My husband is an incredible family guy and our children [were] his world. I knew he was going to do everything humanly possible to be here," she said.

"He's always there to put our girls to bed and said he was going to be home for dinner. I had a nervous feeling at dinner time. Once they went to bed and asked questions about daddy, I started to panic," Tammy Konrad said.

"It is just incomprehensible that this gentleman survived actually, because your temperature is going to drop," Dr. Scott McFarland with the Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center previously told ABC News affiliate WPBF-TV.

The boat was recovered Friday in Grand Bahama Island with the autopilot still on, according to WPBF-TV in Palm Beach.

Konrad, a Massachusetts native, is a graduate of Syracuse University.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Absolutely incredible! Talk about a tough guy. Wow!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Liked 16,590 Times in 9,409 Posts

And boy were his arms tired!
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Had this guy not have been a pro athlete he would have not made it.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,192 Times in 8,988 Posts

I couldn't swim for nine minutes in the ocean, never mind nine hours.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

This guy is a moron. There are so many things this guy did that fly in the face of boater safety that it is ridiculous. Go fishing alone, at night, not tethered to the boat and leave the boat on autopilot... recipe for disaster. Too much football without a helmet if you ask me.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I don't think that was it.

People who spend a lifetime doing something get too comfortable and think they are the master of it and that nothing bad can happen.

You see it with lifetime hunters and gun enthusiasts that make stupid mistakes with firearms all the time.

It's just being human. That being said, he is lucky to be alive.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    This guy is a moron. There are so many things this guy did that fly in the face of boater safety that it is ridiculous. Go fishing alone, at night, not tethered to the boat and leave the boat on autopilot... recipe for disaster. Too much football without a helmet if you ask me.
    I think several years ago a bunch of NFLers went out fishing and over loaded a small boat and most of them drown off the Florida coast. I boat and fish and one must always respect the water,weather ,and what your boat can and can not do. I had a childhood friend who was a sailing instructor in Annapolis MD go out on Chesapeake Bay alone and got tossed over and drown in the 1980s. I see guys fishing alone on their boats all the time. I never go alone.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I'm that guy that once he gets on a boat, the first thing he looks for is the life preservers. Water makes me nervous, even kayaking, I always take someone with me.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    I think several years ago a bunch of NFLers went out fishing and over loaded a small boat and most of them drown off the Florida coast. I boat and fish and one must always respect the water,weather ,and what your boat can and can not do. I had a childhood friend who was a sailing instructor in Annapolis MD go out on Chesapeake Bay alone and got tossed over and drown in the 1980s. I see guys fishing alone on their boats all the time. I never go alone.
    there you have two common denominators right there - NFL and Florida!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

big part of my business is doing business with boaters.....in fact, I'm soooo looking forward to spring, and blessing of the fleet...I just can't tell you...last winter and this winter have both been like house arrest

anyway, every year we lose people out there on the lake...last year it was 3 highly experienced guides and their young guest..so you can't say that having a group protects you, sometimes we just lose more people. Shit happens. But when shit happens, you don't want to be alone. In the case of a few people lost, it was a medical issue out on the lake...stroke, heart attack, diabetic emergency etc..and you don't want to be alone out there when something like that happens

we lost a guest one year a long time ago when he and his wife went out with friends but didn't inform the friends that the wife was prone to seizures. She had a seizure on the boat and went overboard, her husband went in after her and drowned trying to save her. she was plucked out of the water and survived. They should have alerted the captain of the boat so the whole boat was prepared in case of emergency

but like Dreidel said..sometimes with experience you get complacent. Those guides should have put in for shore much earlier than they did and they would probably be alive today if they weren't trying to get one more fish.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

We had 4 lake fatalities last year before Memorial Day. I forget what the total for the year was but it was a record number. This is on a relatively small lake too. Common factors in most of them? Alcohol and boating at night. I don't know if people think being on the water decreases BAC or what but it's ridiculous how some people who would never drive a car drunk or even buzzed won't think twice about piloting a boat hammered. We seldom even boat on holidays anymore because of it. We just let the idiots have their fun realizing they'll be gone in a couple days and we'll have it back to ourselves.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

alcohol and boating just don't mix. There is so little room for error but somehow people just don't see the danger

I've seen people stagger off boats at the launch and I wonder how they made it

but there is no open container law for boating as in driving and people go out on the lake with a case of beer for each person

15. The Following Member Likes This Post: