Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Default Locking nut sizes and types for different EVH guitars?

Please forgive me if this has already been answered. I ran a few searches and didn't come up with anything, both here and over the internet.

Does anyone have the full specs for the top locking nut size, width and type for all EVH guitars ever? Right now I really need to know the size for the EVH stripe series for my bumblebee. I am however, also curious to know the same information but for the EVH Wolfgang, the Peavey Wolfgang, and the EBMM--just for future reference. By 'type' I'm asking Floyd Rose vs. Schaller. I understand there's different sizes measured in both millimeters and R1, R2, and R3? I've never really had to replace these parts in the past and therefore really don't know much about it.

I had mentioned this problem in someone else's thread, but didn't want to hijack it with my problem. So here it is again: Upon receiving my EVH striped bumblebee, the damn thing would not stay in tune anytime I used the bar. The strings would go very badly sharp and a good hard bend would flatten them back down to almost in tune.

I realized the rear top locking nut screws were too long whereas the three string clamps were actually 'locking' against the other end of the screws instead of the actual strings. I 'corrected' this by adding two more washers between the screw and the wood. However, the back side of those string clamps now have routed-out groves from the strings sliding against them. It stays in tune much better now, but still goes slightly sharp when I use the bar. The strings are still sliding a little and I think it's because of the back of those string clamps. I checked this by locking the top locks, tuning, then pressing down on the strings one at a time north of the string retainer bar and watching to see if the note went sharp on my tuner. The stripe series goes a bit sharp, while the strings wouldn't budge on any of my other guitars when I did the same check.

I took a gamble and for $5 ordered a new set of clamps from eBay assuming they'll work and fit. However, I anticipate having to replace the entire top locking nut if these clamps alone don't cut it--hence my above questions.

I know many of you have done some amazing work building your own replicas, and thought this might be a good place to pose my questions.

Thanks very much in advance!

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Your saying the screws from the back of the neck that hold the nut are too long? I'd use a Dremel to shorten them.

I think the EVH guitars are all R2 nuts. I know the EBMM is 1.5/8" at the nut and R2.

And believe it or not my EVH Stripe Series has top mounted screws that hold the nut. Not holes through the back of the neck. However my USA Wolfgang Stealth has the neck holes type.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Yep, the screws from the back of the neck are too long. However, I'm not positive it's the actual screws because I've bought replacements and they're just as long. It's my guess they routed out the screw holes in the neck a little too deep, allowing the screw to go in farther. A dremel is a great idea! I hadn't thought of that. That's odd your Stripe as top mounted screws--I figured they'd be all the same. My USA Stealth also has the rear mount screws--stays in perfect tune when I use the bar. Adding the extra washers has pretty much worked because prior to that, the G and B strings would go almost a full half-step sharp when I used the bar. I may very well try the dremel route though.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I had to add washers to a EVH USA Stealth. It worked just fine.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:29 AM
    Liked 6,987 Times in 5,020 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I had to add washers to a EVH USA Stealth. It worked just fine.
    I had forgotten about this little remedy . My bad ...
    Might have to try this !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.15.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what size is the washer???
    2013 EVH Striped Series
    Epiphone Les Paul Special II LTD
    Marshall DSL40c

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just going to take the screw out and check for one at the store
    2013 EVH Striped Series
    Marshall DSL40c

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I think the Striped Series are R2 and the Wolfs are R3. I think Jedi posted this in another thread. There is a different nut on the Striped Series vs the Wolfgangs.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:27 AM
    Liked 2,865 Times in 1,074 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I think the Striped Series are R2 and the Wolfs are R3. I think Jedi posted this in another thread. There is a different nut on the Striped Series vs the Wolfgangs.
    I heard my name.

It's actually the other way around. Striped Series are R3, Wolfs are R2.

11. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found the same size lock washer at ACE hardware so i added another one to the old one. It seems a bit more stable when I was played yesterday, the G string has been going flat or sharp at times I bend a lot on that one. Today when I picked it up and checked the tuner and everthing was a a little sharp on my Peterson Stomp tuner, its been like that all month since I owned it and its used.

A couple dives it got better but I used the fine tuner and retuned and dived a few more times and was holding good so far will see later today how it does it should be better I hope. Are floyds bullet proof on tunning or they can going out some at times. I did have 2 Wolfs in the past but I didnt use the floyd that much though. Thanks for the replies! guitar sounds great on my DSL love it
    2013 EVH Striped Series
    Marshall DSL40c

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 486 Times in 311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ken361 View Post
    I found the same size lock washer at ACE hardware so i added another one to the old one. It seems a bit more stable when I was played yesterday, the G string has been going flat or sharp at times I bend a lot on that one. Today when I picked it up and checked the tuner and everthing was a a little sharp on my Peterson Stomp tuner, its been like that all month since I owned it and its used.

A couple dives it got better but I used the fine tuner and retuned and dived a few more times and was holding good so far will see later today how it does it should be better I hope. Are floyds bullet proof on tunning or they can going out some at times. I did have 2 Wolfs in the past but I didnt use the floyd that much though. Thanks for the replies! guitar sounds great on my DSL love it
    ken, if everything is tightened down properly, it should be fairly stable, but you're still gonna have to tune your guitar.
    There's no getting outta that one

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah its all tight! I had that cocked up floyd not sitting completely on the body I gave it a turn and a half and its pretty flat. My action is just over 1 mm and its really good and no buzzing Im using a fender strat case wonder when its closed its moves the fine tuners at all prb not though they are touchy though.
    Last edited by ken361; 03.13.17 at 06:49 AM.
    2013 EVH Striped Series
    Marshall DSL40c

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys is spring tension real important on a decked floyds? say like reducing a tad on the low E side to balance it better or thats for the floating trems? thx
    2013 EVH Striped Series
    Marshall DSL40c

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All four
    Favorite VH Song

One, Sky, Control, Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Liked 486 Times in 311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ken361 View Post
    Guys is spring tension real important on a decked floyds? say like reducing a tad on the low E side to balance it better or thats for the floating trems? thx
    Each string contributes a certain amount of tension, and they are each roughly the same (about 17 to 19 lbs each).
    Since the springs are counteracting that string tension, keeping them somewhat symmetrical would provide for a more balance counteraction, with less twisting action on the bridge plate.
    The springs only need to be tight enough to keep the bridge plate seated, while you are doing your most extreme finger fretted bends, and no more.

18. The Following Member Likes This Post: