Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Assuming that Dave is back, which I believe most of us think is true, I believe that Dave will have a significant impact on the new CD, but not as much as he had in the past. I think we should see a harder, edgier sound from Eddie, which is exactly what I think they need. Not that they care, but that kind of sound is more popular today, not the rounded, smooth sound on III. Also, Dave's lyrics should be a little more "Dave-like", but I'm sure that they will not be everything that Dave will want them to be, i.e., Ed probably won't go for some of them. I think they might turn up the volume on Mike a little more, which is a plus. I still think the major key is and always has been Eddie's riffs on this album. If Ed comes up with some classic, kickass riffs on this one, it could become a very lucritive album. Again, I think Dave being back is a plus, especially if he is back anywhere near the form he was in in 1984......but, I don't think it is the biggest factor in the success of the new album. I've said it before and I'll say it again.....where Ed goes, so goes the band. If Ed kicks ass, so will the CD. Dave could suck ass and Ed's riffs will save the album (OK, well, to a certain point). Anyway, this is me just spurtin' off at the mouth (or keyboard). What do you guys think? I do think this album will sound a significant amount different that any other album with Dave.

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

I just saw that interview the other day, the one that Hain had shown us a clip of. Damn, is Eddie pissed off at Dave in that interview. Watching it, I just kept thinking, how are these guys going to bury this hatchet between each other and work in such close quarters?

There is a part of me that doubts how much Eddie will ever accept Dave. Granted, they were all after the initial breakup, but I don't think I've ever seen an interview with Eddie where he has praised Dave's talents. It's always, "he was a clown, he just shook his ass". Sure, that's accurate, but it's only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the spirit and drive that seems to have flowed out of David Lee Roth from 1978 to 1985. And Eddie has always seemed incapable of acknowledging Dave's contribution.

"We couldn't all be cowboys, some of us are clowns, some of us are dancers on the midway, and we roam from town to town"

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.06 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

V3 did not kik ass......sorry.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't think it did either, I was just refering to the guitar sound. It was rounded and smooth (not "good" smooth). Nothing like the sound with Dave back in the day. I did like the sound in Dirty Water Dog though. It was very different.

------------------
    I want a girl who knows what she's doing, because after this bottle's empty, I won't!!! - Michael Anthony

zip5150
    Dave and Eddie burying the hatchet is a critical aspect of the upcoming mystery album. The thing is though, while I do believe they were very angry in 96, time does heal all wounds. Plus, and maybe I'm pandering for an easy answer, but I can't believe this rift between Ed and Dave is as big as it seems. Let's remember that the media is noted for blowing stuff out of proportion. I'm sure Ed and Dave weren't good friends when they started making this album, but I'm sure writing some kickass music is a good catalyst for building a stronger friendship.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hopefully Eddie will lost some of the "sensitive new age guy" shit and get some balls like he used to have. I think Dave can make this happen. I want them to be like they were in the 80's. I know, they aren't in their 20's anymore but they need more balls. They were too quiet when Gary was in the band - they weren't a hard rock band, Dave will make them that once again!

------------------
    RD

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When you watch all those old 'Halen videos is there any other band that you can think of that looked and fit better together... that projected the "Good Times" like VH? You can see those 4 guys were happy... having a great time... that's one of the things that set them apart... they were made for each other.... you can see it.

From the strongest relationships come some of the most knock-down, drag 'um out, hurt-the-one-you-love fights... and I'm thinking that when they make-up we're going to see some shit that's going to blow us all away.

Later.... Lawless

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.19.12 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

The one thing that I have often wondered about was how Eddie will deal with Roth's lyrics. He didn't like Sammy's party lyrics, how is he ever gonna live with Dave's lyrics?

While being a Hagar lover, I know that Dave is a much wittier person lyrically, but he doesn't write "serious" lyrics like he wanted from Sammy and Gary. I wonder if he will ever get over that issue. I seem to recall Eddie bad-mouthing the lyrics for the 2 songs on BOVH. Maybe it was due to the aftermath of their "re-union", but I still think that Eddie wants to be considered a "serious" musician.

I hope Eddie has learned that the serious Van Halen just doesn't quite fly. You need some party attitude....that's what made the band legendary.

------------------
    "The sound of Van Halen was meant to spill out, all over your stereo and ruin the rest of your record collection "...David Lee Roth

Sinner's Swing! 79th and Sunset's Avatar
    Last Online

10.22.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member
    Hopefully, they wont be the boring band that they have been since F.U.C.K. in my opinion.....DLR should bring out that fun in Eddie, ...
    They should have fun....the four of them are the greatest in our time...
    So, the influence will be a positive one for Ed....lighten up Ed, its all good. You too Al, dont be so damn bitter....its R&R it is supposed to be fun...
    PEACE !!

[This message has been edited by 79th and Sunset (edited December 06, 2000 at 06:40 PM).]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fun Heard!
    How about it??

redblk&wht
    Im sure there are boundaries, set aside. Along with im sure all members dont want to go through that again. Respect & acceptance will carry this through. They've see the history they've put together & now they need to capture some of it back. The potential is there. Just add the ingredients!!

------------------
    _______
    DLR=VH=
    Classic
    -------
    Roth Army Moderator
    www.dlrarmy.com/

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

*puts a quarter in the jutebox and presses Van Halen Reuinion, A%*

"Don't expect to hear something that sounds like anything they've done before from this reunion. This will be NO Fair Warning 2."

You know what always gets me when people talk about the influence of Dave? How they always say, "They recaptured the glory for two songs in '96." I mean, this pretty much shows that those people will sign off on anything with Dave in it, no matter what. Why? Well, because it's common knowledge that those musical tracks existed and were laid down while Sammy was in the band. In fact, putting Humans Being and CGTSNM back to back, you discover that the two songs sound like they're from the same period.

I'd say Dave will have little or no influence on the "sound" of the band - lyrics, yeah. Stage presence, yeah. But bottom line, Eddie's going to play what Eddie wants to play, and no singer will be able to change that these days.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

redblk&wht
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:
    *puts a quarter in the jutebox and presses Van Halen Reuinion, A%*

You know what always gets me when people talk about the influence of Dave? How they always say, "They recaptured the glory for two songs in '96." I mean, this pretty much shows that those people will sign off on anything with Dave in it, no matter what. Why? Well, because it's common knowledge that those musical tracks existed and were laid down while Sammy was in the band. In fact, putting Humans Being and CGTSNM back to back, you discover that the two songs sound like they're from the same period.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed Stuff the same peroid, yeah, isnt it kinda similar to 5150 CD when DLR was just there??

Point is there is a Difference, DLR is singin' the tunes.
    FW2? nah, somethins gonna be real good, I dont think a FW like CD would fly now music's changed from 18 yrs ago.
    From what it sounds like, VH is gonna sound similar soundwise since Mike & Eddie are searchin for the old school sound For live events. ala' Mikeys new Yamaha Ad flyin around.

------------------
    _______
    DLR=VH=
    Classic
    -------

[This message has been edited by redblk&wht (edited December 09, 2000 at 01:11 AM).]

Eruption
    Last Online

11.07.17 @ 04:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stuff No More:

But bottom line, Eddie's going to play what Eddie wants to play, and no singer will be able to change that these days.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would have hoped his experience with vd3 would change his opinion on being musically selfish.
    ed, collaboration is a good thing.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If Dave is there the sound will be different, not just in the vocal department. Ed will have to write stuff that will work with Dave's voice, just like he changed his writing style to fit Sammy's voice a bit better. Also, I'm guessing that they will drop the guitar and bass a half step down, like they did in the old days, which not only helps with vocals, but gives an overall "fatter" sound. I guess we'll find out when the album comes.

------------------
    DLR Army webmaster

Roth Army