Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

Default NGD...Wolfgang Stealth USA?

So, Ive always been then one talking about the choddy craftsmanship on the entire US line of the EVH guitars. Ive had 3 go through my hands so far and found a handful of flaws on each one. But I will say, I did enjoy the sound of my stealth. I've wanted to replace it since I sold the last one a few months ago
    AMS approved me for their 12 months no interest so I figured, What the fuck, why not. I don't like buying new ever but the payment plan really helps the team.
    It arrived today. As soon as I opened the case I thought I had finally received a good one. No mis routes in any of the pup cavities, neck cutout or anything...on the front. Its when I turned the guitar over the horror began. Ive taken pics of the worst misroute I've ever seen around the trem cover plate. Its really terrible in person lol. Shit like this shouldn't appear on a $3k guitar, its pathetic. I can also fit that same green(thick) dunlop pick in between where the neck meets the body on the bottom of the guitar near the neck screws due to it being routed improperly.
    Numerous finish flaws but its almost expected with stealth finish guitars because of the way they have to be finished.
    It sounds good but this type of so called "quality" is unacceptable for a $3k guitar. I already contacted AMS and they were very helpful giving me a few options. Im going to contact FMIC on monday and see what they say. This one is most certainly going back

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Wow, I had hell with a USA grey stealth. Mine came with a broken tab on the low E fine tuner tension plate. I simply rebuilt the FR myself. It was just to much hassle to send it back. I got a badass deal of only $2500.00 shipped direct from EVH new in the box. No way I was gonna send it back lol. I always put a FU Tone big brass block in anyway.
    The back trem cover stays off forever. So to me that route would make no difference.
    Is the neck joint tight and the playability of your guitar all good?
    If everything else is all good then to me that term route wouldn't bother me. But I understand your frustration. My grey stealth has more pickup hum than my vintage white wolf and that pisses me off quite a bit. But its not unbearable or anything. Its just not as quiet. The VW wolf is a 2009 and the grey stealth is a 2012 and it just seems their QC has gone down hill in that time frame. Now I'm hearing some key players have left EVH gear. I wonder if its because of poor QC or if its just gonna get worse. Sadly, I'm referring to the USA models. I just got an Indonesian trans black wolf standard that has no flaws in the body/neck work whatsoever.

Good luck man
    Last edited by evhintexas; 01.03.15 at 10:21 AM.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

I got a hell of a deal on my U.S. Stealth from a music store in Pittsburgh in 2012. It took about 6 months to get it, though. Keep all this in mind when understanding the following:

The guitar shipped from the factory with a chrome d-tuna instead of a black one. NO idea how that goes unnoticed! Ordered a black one from Amazon that day. My '99 Peavey Wolf was due for a new one anyway.

The low E leaf spring that sits under the the string locking bolts that provides upward tension/force is missing. I'm still not sure if it was broken off, or if this is intentional. The other 5 strings have it. I've read in several places over the net that some have the low E leaf spring, while some don't. Everything still works perfectly fine, though, without it. In fact, I prefer it that way now as the d-tuna is VERY easy to disengage or engage.

A bit off-topic, but my striped series EVH bumblebee from this May had a problem too: The top locking nut bolts were too long that screw in from the back of the neck to hold the top locking plate in place. This would not allow me to fully lock the strings at the top nut. The top lock would 'lock' against the other end of that bolt, instead of the high E and B strings. Every time I'd use the bar the high B and E strings would very badly go out of tune. I replaced the bolts with slightly shorter ones and all is fine now.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    The low E leaf spring that sits under the the string locking bolts that provides upward tension/force is missing. I'm still not sure if it was broken off, or if this is intentional. The other 5 strings have it. I've read in several places over the net that some have the low E leaf spring, while some don't. Everything still works perfectly fine, though, without it. In fact, I prefer it that way now as the d-tuna is VERY easy to disengage or engage.
    EVH made a change with respect to the low E leaf spring around 2012. Prior to the change, the low E spring was present, but EVH felt it was too difficult to engage the D Tuna so they removed it. This is why there is some confusion as a lot of them in the wild have the low E spring.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Imthe1 View Post
    EVH made a change with respect to the low E leaf spring around 2012. Prior to the change, the low E spring was present, but EVH felt it was too difficult to engage the D Tuna so they removed it. This is why there is some confusion as a lot of them in the wild have the low E spring.
    My 2012 grey stealth had the broken piece laying in the case. I felt the low E wouldn't stay in tune as closely or tightly as I wanted it to. I could literally hammer the E string and watch it go out of tune on a digital tuner. So IMO the fine tuner tension plate had to be replaced.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Imthe1 View Post
    To your knowledge, does/did this apply to only the U.S. models? I ask because my friend ordered a brand new Wolfgang Special this past May, and it has the low E leaf spring. My striped series bumblebee has it too.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    A bit off-topic, but my striped series EVH bumblebee from this May had a problem too: The top locking nut bolts were too long that screw in from the back of the neck to hold the top locking plate in place. This would not allow me to fully lock the strings at the top nut. The top lock would 'lock' against the other end of that bolt, instead of the high E and B strings. Every time I'd use the bar the high B and E strings would very badly go out of tune. I replaced the bolts with slightly shorter ones and all is fine now.
    I had exactly the same problem with my RBW Striped. It took me days to figure out why the Floyd wouldn't hold its tuning, and I was considering sending it back. It would've been to Germany from Northern Ireland, though, so I was reluctant to give up on it. Anyway, I finally realised what the problem was and got a few washers, and it's fine now. God knows how many shipped with this same stupid problem and wound up with people who couldn't figure it out. It's a really silly fault and shows that the checks on guitars going out the door aren't what they should be.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I had exactly the same problem with my RBW Striped. It took me days to figure out why the Floyd wouldn't hold its tuning, and I was considering sending it back. It would've been to Germany from Northern Ireland, though, so I was reluctant to give up on it. Anyway, I finally realised what the problem was and got a few washers, and it's fine now. God knows how many shipped with this same stupid problem and wound up with people who couldn't figure it out. It's a really silly fault and shows that the checks on guitars going out the door aren't what they should be.
    Exactly! I can't believe that went unnoticed. I've read a few accounts over the net of other people that have had this problem as well. Don't feel too bad either, it took me a few days before I finally figured it out! Can't tell you how many times I screamed "Why won't this motherf'er stay in tune!!!!!!!????????? OH! It's because the strings aren't locking..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I had the same problem with 2012 Grey Stealth. A couple of little washers was the answer. But it drove me crazy until I figured it out.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

My USA Stealth does not have the low e spring. It's a early run. My Striped series has the spring. Also early run. #49.

As for issues. Why does my $3000 Stealth have a shim under the nut and my $800 guitar does not? So they cut it right for the cheap guitar and f'd it up on the expensive custom shop model? My Stealth also has overspray issues that make me mad. Binding looks dirty. Even on the headstock. My biggest complaint is the D-Tuna set up. I got it straight from the warehouse. Shipped to me. D-tuna was was pulled out and tuned to e flat(that should have been d flat). Took me several days to figure out why the D-tuna wouldn't work right. The floyd tuning screw wouldn't back out enough. They have a little notch or something to stop them from backing all the way out. Mine was like halfway up the screw and was pushing the D-tuner into the body in E flat. Finally forced the screw back and set it up right. Dudes at the Fender Jackson shop don't know how to set up a D-tuna? Quality control didn't catch that problem? I like the ss frets and it sounds great. I bought it to be a beater guitar. So those things aren't that big a deal. If I was looking for a pretty case queen to baby I'd be pissed.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

You might want to hang onto it. Or any ebony in your guitar collection.

I knew it was scarce. I didn't realize we're down to one source.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Even after all the great live clips (and the tones on ADKoT) , I still can't totally get used to the image of Ed playing with an ebony board ...
    I'll always associate him with maple necks/fretboards . Nit picky - I know !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I miss my old ebony board Paul Standard. Till I bought it, I never even considered them. I loved the guitar, so I bought it for the look, and the tone, and the ebony was not even part of the decision.....after playing it though....grew to love ebony.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.05.15 at 10:42 AM.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    My USA Stealth does not have the low e spring. It's a early run. My Striped series has the spring. Also early run. #49.

As for issues. Why does my $3000 Stealth have a shim under the nut and my $800 guitar does not? So they cut it right for the cheap guitar and f'd it up on the expensive custom shop model? My Stealth also has overspray issues that make me mad. Binding looks dirty. Even on the headstock. My biggest complaint is the D-Tuna set up. I got it straight from the warehouse. Shipped to me. D-tuna was was pulled out and tuned to e flat(that should have been d flat). Took me several days to figure out why the D-tuna wouldn't work right. The floyd tuning screw wouldn't back out enough. They have a little notch or something to stop them from backing all the way out. Mine was like halfway up the screw and was pushing the D-tuner into the body in E flat. Finally forced the screw back and set it up right. Dudes at the Fender Jackson shop don't know how to set up a D-tuna? Quality control didn't catch that problem? I like the ss frets and it sounds great. I bought it to be a beater guitar. So those things aren't that big a deal. If I was looking for a pretty case queen to baby I'd be pissed.
    Yep.
    What you say, and your specific complaints ring very true with me.
    I've seen this so often. The high end Gibson issues are what get me.
    I have a brand new Gibson horror story I added to the pile last week on my vacation.
    I was at Tom Lee Music, and was grabbing a couple packs of strings, and noticed they got a bunch of Gibsons, including some Custom Shop models going for around six to ten thousand dollars. I was chatting at the front counter, and the one guy I know there, Brent asked if I played any of them there before. I said I hadn't and he started laughing, and told me to come with him.
    He pulled a beautiful looking sunburst Custom Shop with a "Display Model Only" tag on it out of the display case and handed it to me.
    It was gorgeous! I noodled on it a bit unplugged. Very nice playing, and real resonant.
    Then he said. "Let's go the the booth."
    I followed him, and he warmed up a Vox AC30. He said to try it out.
    I plugged in the guitar, and turned up the volume.
    I got practically no sound, but instead, got a weird tingle build in my hand and up my arm.
    He said "That's what spending a fortune on a premium US made guitar get's you!"
    Turns out the wiring for some reason was shorting, or the grounding was non existent, so you got low voltage shocks.
    How that could possibly get by QC, especially from the Custom Shop? This one guitar was almost $7.000.00! Ok.....Maybe a cold solder joint broke in shipping or something, but at that price point, you'd think that poor workmanship wouldn't even be a consideration, especially given that the Custom shop is the premium division of Gibson.
    Conversely, like you mentioned, there were ton's of other cheaper guitars that were great. Nice finishes, excellent workmanship, and sound and play amazingly well. Stuff like LTD's, Ibanez, Some of the Gretsch stuff....All off shore, and far, far cheaper than an American made Gibson.

It never fails to surprise me nowadays. Why there would be a shim on your USA is probably to make up for a carved top variation (as I mentioned in the D2H thread), or even a neck pocket fitment deal, but at any rate, you'd think it would be a factory second at the very least, or at most would be rejected.
    It boggles the mind that the tables have turned so drastically, where some of the offshore stuff outperforms the Domestic high ticket models right out of the gate.
    It's too bad....I want to have faith in buying domestically....I've said it before many times, but it can be a real gamble. I feel bad for people who buy online without getting to kick the tires first.

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:38 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post

On my 2 PV Wolfs, I eventually ditched the Dtunas. Haven't missed them at all. They're pretty much redundant anyway as long as set the fine tuner with enough room to drop a step down when locked in. To me, they're just another moving part on an already clunky device (a Floyd Rose).